40 Years Old, Mother of 4, Work out Hard and Can't Get Rid of Belly Flab - Cedar Rapids, IA

I am scheduled for a tummy tuck without muscle...

I am scheduled for a tummy tuck without muscle repair. Doctor says I don't need it despite giving birth to 4 children and and breast lift with augmentation. Surgery is 2 days away and I am a mess. This is something I have wanted for a long time but am beginning to think I am crazy and selfish for spending all this money on myself. I have a wonderful supportive spouse who loves me as I am but wants me to be happy. I imagine my feelings are normal. This site has been so helpful. I will post pics before and after soon.

12 hours to a new me

12 hours until surgery time. I have been relatively calm and upbeat today. I am going to try and post before pictures; usually I am very modest but here goes nothing!

I made it!

Had surgery at 7:30 this morning; it was scheduled for 6 hours and only took 4. I'm feeling a bit rough. Breast not so bad, tummy uncomfortable. I keep forgetting not to use my arms to push up out of chair but am quickly reminded by shooting pain in my breast!! I hate the drains, definitely feel they are worst part of surgery. I am fortunate, I did not need muscle repair so hopefully recovery is a bit quicker. I have an amazing care taker!! I will post pictures soon. Thanks for all the support!

6 days post op and feeling good

Today is my 6th day post op and I feel pretty good. Pain has been minimal since removal of drains on day 4. I have been rather emotional and teary eyed today. .especially when I look at my scars. I wonder what and the hell was I thinking! I had a major breast lift so the girls just don't look pretty yet and I keep telling myself wait... but easier said than done. My P'S told my S/O that I had so much natural breast tissue that he was only able to get in a 279 cc implant but they still look huge! Huge is not what I wanted.. I was going for a tad larger, perkier and natural. I guess time will tell. It has been difficult to lay around. I am a very active, athletic person and I have a terrible fear of losing all of my muscle mass and getting flabby. Even after reading other people's journeys I was ill prepared for the emotional roller coaster brought on by these procedures. I will post some pictures soon. Thanks to everyone who is willing to share it certainly has been helpful!

16 days post op

Pictures from mommy makeover 16 days post op. Abdomen has a lot of swelling today; I worked too many hours. I did not require muscle repair so I am very happy with the contour. Breast still have a way to go but all scars are healing well thus far.

more pics

I forgot front view
Cedar Rapids Plastic Surgeon

You look fantastic!!!! Back to work after a week???!!! Wow!!! I have 6 weeks off but work in childcare so had to be careful. I have to admit I'm bored now!! Lol. Glad to hear you are happy :)
Thank you! I am a nurse but fortunately have a flexible position. My body let's me know when I have worked too many hours by rewarding me with severe abdominal swelling! The one thing I have noticed is my energy level is so low. I can't wait for it to get back to normal.
Yes I notice that by the end of the day I am swollen and I am 5 weeks post op. But I am a lot better than I was. One day at a time! :)
I am contemplating surgery in January with Dr. Vanderzee - do you recommend? How are you now?
I highly recommend him. I am 2 weeks post op and other than being tired I feel great. He takes the time to explain everything and his nurse is amazing. Overall it has been a very positive experience for me.
I understand your fears about losing muscle while recovering, I fear the same. How does your belly button look? Did he make a new one? Do you feel like your scar goes along your panty line nicely? I also have a fear of being thinner but looking worse.
My belly button looks better than it did before surgery! My scar is very low; a low rise bikini bottom covers it. I lost 10 pounds the first week due lack of appetite. I am not a big eater anyway so I expected it to happen. Recovery is a process and if you can come to terms with the fact your breasts and tummy don't look pretty immediately you can handle it. Every day I feel and look better and I am happy I made the decision to have surgery.
I am just getting the major tummy tuck. How is the pain? I have several tats, large ones in fact but I'm a baby when it comes to surgery. I had a C-section 18 years ago and thought I was going to die trying to walk the day after.
It's uncomfortable while the drains are in. Once they are out the pain is tolerable but you will have pain. You will get strong pain medication and you will need to take it. I went back to work 1 week post op and I feel ok. I have multiple tattoos as well and he did have to cut into the one on my side but it's not very noticeable. You can handle it!!
You went back to work after one week?!?! Holy cow! You're a strong woman!
Congrats on getting it done. I had mine June 24th. The drains were the worst for me too. No matter what I did they just seemed to hurt. Got them out in a week and felt much better. Would love to show my before and after pictures but can't figure out how to do it. I feel amazing still have swelling in the pm but would do it again anytime. I to didn't have to do lypo or muscle repair just skin removed from loosing a lot of weight. Good luck
I sure hope that your surgery today goes well. Having a wonderful supportive husband who wants you to be happy and confident is very important. Good Luck!
Good luck! I am 2 and a half weeks post op and feeling happy!! I hv a couple of kids too and I had terrible muscle damage and seperation! I assume that when they are actually in there that they will repair anything they may see??? It took me 5 years of deciding as it is a huge commitment financially physically and mentally. My partner has been hugely supportive. He's my hero :) I'm lucky to have him. I figure that if it makes you happy then do it. Your kids and husband will benefit from a mama who is comfortable in her own skin! Rather than being self conscious or irritated. Good luck!!! :)
I feel like I do need muscle repair. Surgeon doesn't think I do. I want the best results so I will tell him to repair as necessary. I was nervous but am feeling positive now. The pain doesn't scare me, I can tolerate that because I know with pain comes my desired results! Thanks for your support.
Good call. Make sure u do because if there is muscle damage and he doesn't repair it then u won't be as stream lined!. Also having repaired core muscles can only be a good thing for your back and posture! The pain was OK.....tolerable. But you do need help with everything the first week! The second week is better and now I'm heading into my third week....the world is your oyster! Relax. Be excited! Its like your own personal Xmas eve of excitement!!! :)
Hello I don't have any children and I want a flat belly and my breast augmentation pear shaped normal saline. I am scared of being put under anesthesia and wish that I did not have to do surgery. Scare of pain also. How long would I need to be out of work?
You said that you have to do the surgery?? And are scared? Is it for medical reasons? My biggest advice is don't go through with such a big surgery until you are mentally prepared for it. It took me five years to be mentally ready. For some women a lot longer. Its a big commitment financially physically and mentally and you sound a bit unsure?
Good luck tomorrow. Thinking about it was way worse than going through it. It will be over before you know it. The first day /night was rough for me but I let everyone take care of me and not feel guilty. I'll be thinking if you and wishing you a speedy recovery.
You're lucky you don't need the muscle repair as that is where the pain is mainly from. I'm 6 days postop myself and I'm still in pain, but managing it with Tylenol. You'll be ok. Think positive and know that your body will look great after all the drama is over.
Good luck!