Not Happy - Carmel, IN

I really am looking for other peoples experiences...

I really am looking for other peoples experiences and thoughts about what my arms look like post surgery.

I'm very disappointed with how big my right arm still is. I think I may have needed lipo as well but it wasn't even offered and I didn't know to ask. My bad! I'm 10 weeks post surgery and arms are still not symmetrical. My doctors comment was that the right was bigger to begin with. So what!!! He told me to wait a year. I seriously don't think that miraculously they will appear similar or smaller than they do right now. I've included pics of the journey post surgery leading up to today.

One other comment that doesn't sit well with me was made to my husband after my surgery. The surgeon said I wasn't a small girl so I wouldn't have small arms. What did he think I wanted?? To look like Popeye???
Dr. Harper

See review for comments made by surgeon that didn't sit well with me.

You definitely had a PS who just wanted to "get on with it". It's just a lot easier for them if you ask them no questions. And, it is arrogant on their part to make a comment about how your body was uneven to begin with! Isn't that why we seek out plastic surgery to begin with? That is how their industry thrives, on people who want to improve what God gave them. He negated your problem and sloughed off his incompetency in a single comment. One thing you should definitely do before a revision is to strengthen your skin/scar by using products like retinol and perhaps seeing an aesthetician in a derm's office or a PS's office ready your skin for another surgery. The aesthetician in the office I go to said the success of the scar is dependent on the quality of the skin to begin with. And, the older you are when getting these surgeries, the more preparation you need.
Hi, I'm 4 weeks post opp, I was a bit freaked out after surgery because my scar was so long, just past my elbow all the way to the edge of my breast, but I consented. I have had drainage issue up to 3.5 weeks (had to have one inserted to my left flank and another to my right arm) just got cleared by imaging yesterday no more fluid pockets, am very happy. My scars are improving a ton, even in one week, big difference. I'm still swollen, but my forearms are puffier than my upper arms due to the compression wraps. I club my arms heavily at night and then wrap them and it is working wonderfully for the scar as it did for my tummy tuck. I was going to do a thigh lift before my arms, but doc wanted arms first, and he was right because I want to drop 15 more lbs to have more skin for him to remove. I will say the tummy tuck was a breeze compared to the arm reduction, been a bit traumatizing.
Lubricate not club, sorry
I asked for a contouring treatment to just my right thigh, because it has always been an inch and a half larger. I liked the way my left thigh looked...I wanted them to match! The nurse told me that the protocol was to do both legs evenly. She used too much heat and I lost way too much fat to both legs...evenly. I also have dents and impressions of the hand piece on my skin on BOTH legs, two years later. Many bodies are not perfectly matched on each side. That should be plastic surgery 101. His comments were arrogant, and his response to you was condescending. "You were lopsided so I left you that way..."?!
Sorry you didn't get the result you wanted and that your ps was an Idiot,especially for making that inappropriate comment to your husband. He definitely needs some better bed side manners and should be held accountable for this Sloppy job. I hate to hear about ps that has gone wrong. He was supposed to advise you,he is the professional,Obviously not and quite the contrary on all levels. His bedside manner should be a 1 star! I hope you find an educated,ps who is concerned about his patients and delivers a great end result. Best wishes Bella
I'm sorry you're not happy with your arm lift... :( I'm having an arm lift on July 10th! During my initial consultation my Dr had said right away that a small amount of lipo would be needed on my arms so the incision could close nicely. I'm so surprised that your Dr never mentioned it!! You shouldn't blame yourself for not inquiring! Your Dr should have said something during your consultation!! WOW! I would not go to him for any kind of revision... You should seek a Dr who can redo your arm lift and revise your scar! If you don't mind traveling I recommend my PS Dr. Kerr. He has a wonderful bedside manner and he really cares about getting the best possible result!
What happened during your consultation? All my PS did was look at my arms and said he could help. He may have asked if i had any questions, I can't recall. But that was it. And he is Board Certified. :( Will definitely seek a couple of opinions when I start the revision process.
Good Luck with your surgery!!!
When I met with my PS I basically did what you did and showed him my arms. He told me that I would need an arm lift and that the scar would run from my arm pit to elbow and he proceeded to fold my skin in order to see what my result would look like. He also showed me where my scar would be. While folding up my skin he told me that I still had some fat areas that would need to be extracted (liposuctioned) out in order to give a better result for closing the incision. If you look at my profile I have started one review on Dr Kerr and you can read my comment on him. I've met with a number of plastic surgeons and they're regular people...unfortunately you've got your assholes, the arrogant, the clueless and then you find a jewel!! :) I've been lucky to find very caring plastic surgeons (took time weeding the bad ones out)! Good luck to you! Meet with as many Dr's as you need to eventually you'll find the right one!
Thank you!! I will start another review on my arm lift and follow up with before and after photos. Right now I've started one for my bbl. I will also be having liposuction on my thighs in order to prepare for a thigh lift in the future!
I dont think my doctor took enough skin off. my doc is very dismissive like yours. my weight is 230 which is still high, but I needed to start removing skin somewhere because I had the time off now. Im 3 1/2 weeks out and Im still in so much pain. I have lost 130 pounds so my skin and fat hung very low and anything is better, but I still wish he had taken more fat from the top of my arms.
I've had the bat wings my entire life. Huge weight losses a couple times and they also run in the family. I just want to be able to go sleeveless one time in my life!!! Besides bathing suits :) The hard part for me is knowing what a realistic expectation to have. Looking at others pics here has helped give me an idea of what I can have.
Are you up for asking the doctors on this site? Just a thought but I've seen great feed back from the doctors Good luck.
in my opinion your dr. should have done lipo along with the arm lift. this would of definately made your arms smaller. the comment the doctor made to your husband was just RUDE! everybody's right or left side is bigger. unfortunately you will probably have to have a revision, but i dont think i would use the same PS. i like you, didnt know to ask certain questions, but now that i have been through it i am better informed. give it atleast a year though, and at that point what you have it what it will be. i wish happy healing for you!
I'm new to the sore and didn't realize you could ask Drs. How do I do that?
Oops site not sore :)
Thanks for your reply. I wish I'd found this site before my surgery!!! This is a site with honest and real life experiences. I definitely will use a different PS for the revision. I need to find others that have went through one. I'm concerned about the possibility of the scarring becoming worse. Or do the cut along the same lines.
Just sign in to your real self acct and under find doctor there is 'ask doctor'. Go to that ;)) BTW... I agree with the lady who posted your Dr was rude in making that comment to yor husband. Can't wait to see the replies you get from some of the doctors.
i think they cut along the same line. but if you have it redone then maybe the new PS can place the scar better. im thinking if you have lipo before then that will give you more loose skin to remove. so you would basically be starting over :( i had my arms done 1 yr ago and the only issue i have is a 'banding' when i bend my elbow. you can see the pics on my page and i will post pics of my arms now. now the thighs, uugh, thats a different story...all of my stitches let go so now i gotta do it all over again :/