IPL: Bad Idea. Really Bad - Pointe-Claire, QC

Who invented this "advanced technology"?...

Who invented this "advanced technology"? If you want to look years older, have acne-prone skin and discover new wrinkles on your face everyday, then go right ahead and have this treatment. But seriously...save your skin and opt out. Everyone is clammoring for this thing and it's a sham. It basically sucks the color, the life, and the vitality right out of your face. PS: there is ZERO proof in any medical journal that this treatment actually stimulates collagen production. Also, long term effects haven't been studied. All those who've been sucked in might end up with major problems down the road. This experience has pretty much ruined my beauty and my social life.

Just updating my review. It's been about 5...

Just updating my review. It's been about 5 months since my last IPL and I urge people to think very carefully about this before they do it. The aftermath has been a nightmare and I am still dealing with many terrible side effects. Here is a short list of side effects: Fat loss, changed skin texture, micro-scarring, nerve damage to face, facial numbness. This procedure, in my opinion, penetrated too deep and has caused thermal damage to the underlying and outer dermis. Lunchtime procedure my ass!

List Pros & Cons, Advice you can offer others

List Pros & Cons, Advice you can offer others

I was told my skin would be rejuvenated and that...

I was told my skin would be rejuvenated and that there was no risk, no downtime. This proved to be false. The technician who did my procedure was not willing to admit something had gone wrong, when it is quite obvious that something has. When I showed her the micro-scarring that has occurred she claimed this was "dehydration". There is no way that the scars on my face due to IPL are due to dehydration considering I drink plenty of water and follow a very healthy, vitamin-packed diet.

Face still burns, I'm almost one year out from...

Face still burns, I'm almost one year out from this thing. The burning is very difficult to take. Skin looks like an elephant, as you see in the pics. Face is much less plump, skin is less elastic. Total disaster. I am horrified by what has happened to my face! Please think twice before having this done.

Wow is all I can say. I am going to post a few...

Wow is all I can say. I am going to post a few more pictures soon. The skin does not recover from this. It continues to deteriorate. The fat loss is progressive and ongoing. It is soooo soooo sad.

Just to be a bit more specific, I had 2 BBL Sciton...

Just to be a bit more specific, I had 2 BBL Sciton treatments to the face. The first was in Sept. 2009 and the second in Aug. 2010. The settings used the first time: Filter:560; Frequency: 13J, 12ms; Degrees: 16. The second time: Filter:575; Frequency: 11J, 14ms; Degrees: 16.
In the year that followed my first treatment, I noticed less elasticity, more wrinkles, and some minor fat loss. I attributed all this to basic aging. After my 2nd treatment a year later, the fat loss, loss of elasticity and change in skin texture were so rapid and aggressive that it allowed me to put everything together. The IPL treatment is responsible for the unfavorable changes in my skin. I am extremely regretful I ever decided to have this procedure done and urge anyone out there to think very carefully before going ahead with an IPL.

Gone baby, gone.

The youthful skin I had before IPL is gone baby, gone. My skin has no elasticity left in it. If I wear glasses or a hat, the lines left on my skin from doing so stay present for hours. I have constant acne problems and my skin never recovered. It is still full of lines, indents, pock marks and scarring. To make matters worse, my health is in a sorry state. I truly believe IPL contains harmful radiation and it has damaged me internally as well. I have a constant, debilitating fatigue. No amount of rest resolves it. My family doctor has diagnosed me with chronic fatigue syndrome, while my Naturopath has diagnosed me with adrenal burnout and anemia. At the age of 39, I have loose skin now hanging underneath my chin (i.e. turkey neck). I believe that these treatments should be banned.
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this Dr.'s practice because I was not taken seriously when I returned with complications due to IPL. My skin has been severely damaged but I was told this was due to dehydration. This is just plain insulting. My skin is not dehydrated, it's damaged.

So sorry to hear this happened to you. I had a similar experience in 2003 - suffered fat loss, loss of skin elasticity, orange peel texture, weird lines and indents from the IPL. I was 21 years old when I had this done so none of the damage could have possibly been from normal aging. Maybe my experience will give you a little hope though... although it does not get better, it definitely stops deteriorating after about a year or so. What you see now will likely not look tons worse unless you experience rapid aging for other reasons. I also had sculptra and restylane injections to try to combat the damage. They do help. I wouldn't recommend sculptra though as it did leave bumpiness under my skin that can be felt but not seen. I have wondered whether needling might help the skin texture issue - when you google before and after photos of needling, you can see that it does seem to help crinkling and texture issues. In any case, please do what you can to help YOU and feel better. This happened to me 12 years ago, and not only is it a nightmare to deal with, but it's heartbreaking that no doctors believe you when you know the truth! You need to do what you can to be happy right now and not focus on the negative. There are still infinite wonderful reasons to be happy to be alive. Focusing on the good really helped me through this experience.
Well said. I'm so sorry you were damaged so young. It's a nightmare. It takes time to heal physically and emotionally. Have you tried any topicals?
I had RadioFrequency ( TriActive Plus from Deka) and this has left me with fat atrophy ( fat loss) under my eyes, cheeks , above my mouth and chin , and now look awful, it is soo difficult to deal with this , I am a different person and hate it . I can cope with the bad texture this has done but the fat loss is unforgivable on my face , I look 10 years older and found it very hard to cope still , even after 13 months , the dents are getting deeper but am too scared to have filler there, just in case it goes wrong as this would finish me off . The clinic who did this to me not only told, it wasn’t any side effect but then after all the trauma i have been through , tell me the 6 RF sessions I had , was just a placebo therefore couldn’t have done this , how insulting . My life has been put on hold . Anyone who is thinking of having RadioFrequency on their face , please think twice ,I was a pretty quite , outgoing confident woman , this has left me depressed , ugly who don’t go out anymore . Think twice and read all other bad experience other people had before you make a decision .. I wish I did . Good luck
I hope all of you are filling out the survey. People must know the truth and give the rating you experienced even if you don't want to mention names or include pictures. Make your voice count!
I'm so sorry. It's very painful for anyone to be dismissive about the situation. I mean you have looked at your face several times a day for your entire life. I think k you know every contour and line in your face. Hugs!!
Do you mean review? Filing complaints with the FDA is crucial as well.
Yes so the thumbs up and down are accurate. Otherwise it is just a story without a rating of the procedure they percentage of approval thumbs or those who were unhappy thumbs down Thanks
I've tried some topicals years ago - some retin A like stuff, copper peptides, hyaluronic acid based creams and gels... nothing really seemed to make a huge difference for me and since I have rosacea, I'm a little concerned about overdoing it. Are there specific topicals that have been found to help lessen the appearance of the damage?
Good point. I will make sure to do the survey.
@Assilk, I also have Rosacia, it;s why I had the IPL's done in the first place. I use "Cicabio" cream from BioDerma ( Cicabio Crème ). It's a zinc based cream with Hyaluronic acid and I quite like it. It's not very expensive either. My Dermatologist told me to use that after I asked her what I could do for my skin after the bad IPL. *She did not perform the IPL, she just helped me afterwards. It's a cream people use after having surgery and face treatments like Chem peels. It does help but it's no miracle in a bottle, I don't want to get anyone's hope up too much, but it did help me a bit so I do feel ok recommending it and it's very gentle. :)
Lilly don't forget to fill out the review for your IPL you can skip doctors name if you are wary of doing that. We have to let people know the truth by showing the real risk and our stories like you have but I would like to see the percentage in truth. Thanks for sharing going to try the cream
Thanks for taking the time to write Assik. I appreciate your post. I don't know anything about needling and if I do anything it probably will not be for a couple more years. I would consider getting my eyes done and possibly a mini lift...I am no longer totally bummed out, after awhile a person accepts a new normal (hopefully) and gets on with it. When and if I do get work done, it will only be with a top USA surgeon. And if they haven't been on Oprah, there not touching my face. : )
@imsorrynow2; I will and I am getting my courage up to tell my story and add more images of my skin. I already have 2 pics up but I need to post better ones. I am a shy/private person, but I feel this needs to be told so that others can read it and see that this procedure is not 100% safe and risk-free as most places claim. Then they can better decide whether it's worth the risk. Honestly, in my opinion, it's a procedure that should only be used for medical conditions like Rosacia or Acne. It should never be used on anyone with healthy/normal skin as an anti-ageing solution.
Also only Plastic Surgeons or Derm doctors or PA in those two fields alone and never someone who has not studied the skin specially. Too many with certification only that you can get in a very short time. It is always a gamble and for me not worth it. Thanks so much
Hi everybody. I sent a picture of the left side of my face to a popular PS in my area today. I think it's pretty obvious there's something there but of course he says he sees nothing. He said he's done many many laser procedures with all great results. Absolutely no problems. He said laser cannot do damage. Surprise Suprise. Lol. I didn't even respond. I now know that if the PS or Dermatologist performs laser procedures their probably gonna say that they see nothing even if it's obvious. It's a tough spot for a victim to be in. Very frustrating. Dermatology 101: DO NOT heat up a persons face. Wish I did my homework before I went through with it. These people need to be honest.
I saw several surgeons for free after my IPL to assess the damage, and they could all see it! If you go to someone else they may document this for you. My Primary Care Physician also saw all the damage and documented it. The consults with surgeons are often free. One of them had a his laser specialist come in and look at my skin. Her eyes got big as she exclaimed "I have never seen anything like this". Don't beat yourself up for not doing homework, you would have had to dig. This procedure is always sold as non invasive with no chance of harm. Think of it this way, if you needed an organ removed from your body, and the surgeon took out the wrong one, you would not be blaming yourself!
Hi. Has anyone here tried to sue for laser damage? Did you have to read and sign a waiver and if so, did the waiver say anything about the damage that's reported here on Real Self ?
Yea I had to sign one, and yes they do mention possible damage and possible burns on it.
The wavers do not say anything about these side effects. Mine didn't. For a lawsuit, each state is different. I researched this heavily. You must be able to prove with photos what you looked like before the procedure and after and there has to be a marked difference - enough for a jury to notice. While our damage is very real it's isn't like obvious burn marks that you can see from across the street so an attorney will have to really prove your case. You also need an expert (doctor willing to write on paper that the treatment caused your damage and possibly go to court). If you have good before and after shots and can get an expert to testify that yes, the treatment caused your damage, an good personal injury attorney may be interested. It really depends on the laws of your state though.
I guess that's their out then. She said tough luck to me. I signed the waiver so she said she's covered.
I will qualify that the wavers mention burns, not premature aging, fat loss or skin atrophy. I can't say every waver was like mine, but mine was mostly saying burns could happen at worst.
Yes I agree. Sorry, to clarify they do not talk about fat loss, premature ageing or anything else at all. All that is mentioned is damage in the form of burns. They never hid the fact burn damage can happen, but they did make it seem like it was a very small chance and very rare occurrance.
a lawyer may feel differently. Seriously. Complications due to improper settings are not covered under the waver etc.
Sounds like it's tough to prove. I just saw a new video on the internet about laser damage too. I wish I would have saved it. I can't seem to find it now. But the gal in the video said that lasers can definitely cause scarring in the wrong hands etc etc. Then I recall in the comments that a woman said her husband's job was to set up these new laser devices and show the techs how to use them properly. I do recall her saying that there's an emergency stop button/switch on the machines and he had to shut it down a couple times because he could see the techs were going to damage someone's face if they continued. That's what I read anyway. So my issue is that if these laser techs know this stuff, and I believe they probably do, then they should be honest and tell a person face to face. I know I would if I was in that position. I mean come on.....Who would really chance doing it if they were TOLD that it could cause scarring, wrinkles, dents, vertical lines, hyper pigmentation broken caps etc etc. I know I sure wouldn't.
burns are visible obvious red marks. other symptoms are not considered burns.