IPL: Bad Idea. Really Bad - Pointe-Claire, QC

Who invented this "advanced technology"?...

Who invented this "advanced technology"? If you want to look years older, have acne-prone skin and discover new wrinkles on your face everyday, then go right ahead and have this treatment. But seriously...save your skin and opt out. Everyone is clammoring for this thing and it's a sham. It basically sucks the color, the life, and the vitality right out of your face. PS: there is ZERO proof in any medical journal that this treatment actually stimulates collagen production. Also, long term effects haven't been studied. All those who've been sucked in might end up with major problems down the road. This experience has pretty much ruined my beauty and my social life.

Just updating my review. It's been about 5...

Just updating my review. It's been about 5 months since my last IPL and I urge people to think very carefully about this before they do it. The aftermath has been a nightmare and I am still dealing with many terrible side effects. Here is a short list of side effects: Fat loss, changed skin texture, micro-scarring, nerve damage to face, facial numbness. This procedure, in my opinion, penetrated too deep and has caused thermal damage to the underlying and outer dermis. Lunchtime procedure my ass!

List Pros & Cons, Advice you can offer others

List Pros & Cons, Advice you can offer others

I was told my skin would be rejuvenated and that...

I was told my skin would be rejuvenated and that there was no risk, no downtime. This proved to be false. The technician who did my procedure was not willing to admit something had gone wrong, when it is quite obvious that something has. When I showed her the micro-scarring that has occurred she claimed this was "dehydration". There is no way that the scars on my face due to IPL are due to dehydration considering I drink plenty of water and follow a very healthy, vitamin-packed diet.

Face still burns, I'm almost one year out from...

Face still burns, I'm almost one year out from this thing. The burning is very difficult to take. Skin looks like an elephant, as you see in the pics. Face is much less plump, skin is less elastic. Total disaster. I am horrified by what has happened to my face! Please think twice before having this done.

Wow is all I can say. I am going to post a few...

Wow is all I can say. I am going to post a few more pictures soon. The skin does not recover from this. It continues to deteriorate. The fat loss is progressive and ongoing. It is soooo soooo sad.

Just to be a bit more specific, I had 2 BBL Sciton...

Just to be a bit more specific, I had 2 BBL Sciton treatments to the face. The first was in Sept. 2009 and the second in Aug. 2010. The settings used the first time: Filter:560; Frequency: 13J, 12ms; Degrees: 16. The second time: Filter:575; Frequency: 11J, 14ms; Degrees: 16.
In the year that followed my first treatment, I noticed less elasticity, more wrinkles, and some minor fat loss. I attributed all this to basic aging. After my 2nd treatment a year later, the fat loss, loss of elasticity and change in skin texture were so rapid and aggressive that it allowed me to put everything together. The IPL treatment is responsible for the unfavorable changes in my skin. I am extremely regretful I ever decided to have this procedure done and urge anyone out there to think very carefully before going ahead with an IPL.

Gone baby, gone.

The youthful skin I had before IPL is gone baby, gone. My skin has no elasticity left in it. If I wear glasses or a hat, the lines left on my skin from doing so stay present for hours. I have constant acne problems and my skin never recovered. It is still full of lines, indents, pock marks and scarring. To make matters worse, my health is in a sorry state. I truly believe IPL contains harmful radiation and it has damaged me internally as well. I have a constant, debilitating fatigue. No amount of rest resolves it. My family doctor has diagnosed me with chronic fatigue syndrome, while my Naturopath has diagnosed me with adrenal burnout and anemia. At the age of 39, I have loose skin now hanging underneath my chin (i.e. turkey neck). I believe that these treatments should be banned.
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this Dr.'s practice because I was not taken seriously when I returned with complications due to IPL. My skin has been severely damaged but I was told this was due to dehydration. This is just plain insulting. My skin is not dehydrated, it's damaged.

I just has my 3rd IPL treatment. The first two went well. This last treatment left me with brown dots on the checks of my skin. I was told they would disappear in two weeks. It has been 4 days now. I am very nervous after reading these posts.
Sounds like maybe just more pigmentation coming through? If you do have sun spots and damage from the sun, multiple treatments will reveal more from beneath the skin. Make sure you are wearing a good sunscreen that includes titanium dioxide and or zinc. You might look like a ghost but there are some that have some pigment to mask it or just apply makeup on top. As for getting rid of the new spots, I also had new ones but others were gone from the treatment. If you go again it might go away. Texture problems like mine are now permanent. So disappointed. We all gamble with these treatments unfortunately. Best of luck.
If they are dark tiny flecks you are probably fine...give it a few more days.
I had little dark flecks from my first two IPL's they came off during the first week. If they are tiny dark flecks, you are probably OK.
Brown spots this earlier should flake off. Most of us have problems with texture, lines, and more pronounced wrinkles. I would not worry about that.
Thanks for all your information, I really appreciate it. And I am feeling a little better. I will let you know how things work out.
If u had great skin....why would you do this?
Melasma and hyperpigmentation after my the birth of my second child.
Sorry, Michael, but I don't think this is helpful to people who have been damaged. These are sold as non-invasive to get rid of broken capillaries and age spots. We all want to look are best.
And they downplay any risk. Look on YouTube. They sell these laser procedures like it's no big deal. Lasers can cause major damage. It's risky enough in a doctors hands. There's no way anyone but a well trained doctor should be allowed to use these devices. And knowing what I know now I wouldn't even risk having a doctor put a laser near my face. The damage will continue until someone steps in and puts a stop to this craziness.
Even the well-trained doctors make mistakes...lots of them. It is really quite sad. I do hope it becomes regulated to protect people. I don't know how they sleep at night. They should also get rid of tanning beds which probably caused me a lot of the sun damage I got in my late teens and early 20s. I have several friends who developed skin cancer as a result of tanning, but money talks and people are making a fortune...I hope I live to see the day when businesses finally care about 'people' and stop seeing us as only dollar signs. Wear sunscreen and a hat. Protect the skin you have and take care of yourself. That's the crappy lesson I wholeheartedly learned from all of this.
I know the IPL is not a laser.I guess our best advice is to go to a doctor that a friend has gone to and see their work.
I so wish I had read this before I got my IPL ....
I have probably had 10 treatments and I am really seeing the negative effects of it now. I have the same elongated pores and wrinkling not as bad around my mouth as across my cheeks by my nose and up to my lower eyes. I am 35 and I look terrible. I am glad the freckles are gone but I should have just learned to love them and embrace my youthful skin. I swear you just don't know what you have until it's gone. Please be caution when doing these laser procedures. I would think chemical peels are safer!
Everyone: I am interested in sending a petition to the FDA and legislators asking them for some changes - perhaps a more rigorous approval process, maybe some requirements like: all providers must provide patient w/ a copy of his/her before photo before the procedure, all machines must have calibration verification devices that are used/tested before every procedure, all providers must post the inspecton records, calibratio test results, repair records, and calibration testing company's contact info on the wall, all mfgrs must make all internal adverse results reports and analyses publicly available,, etc.. Any other ideas on specific reforms? Fell free to message me. This is terrible!
Hi IPLissues. I made a complaint with the FDA a while back about laser "issues" I was having. They sent a reply letter in the mail saying thanks and they'd look into it. I never heard another word about it. I blame them too. In sure they know. It's about $$. If your one of the unlucky ones it seems like your on your own. If I had the time and money is sue the dermatologist office. Seems like it would be a battle though. That's why it continues.
Yes and law suits are a emotional strain. Not even counting the time and money. You can lose your job when submerged in a suit. Oh yes and the FDA knows it look how many complaints there are listed. Probably only 25% of botched cases out there. Like I have said unless someone famous comes out and tells the truth it will never be exposed as a possibility. Sad but Priscilla Presley (married to Elvis) and botched injections by a doctor and when reporters started knowing the face mishap it even took her a couple of years to come out and admit it. People are embarrassed and feel self conscious of course understandably. Want to just hide
Well it sounds like you have done your homework. I am wondering if you have been advised in legal terms by a lawyer( medical?) what you would need to do to get a petition recognized by the FDA or public notification. If you or we are going to put in the time and effort would like to know if we are doing it the most effective way. Of course what are the true stories of how anyone gets certified to operate these powerful machines? I believe it takes longer to get a license to cut hair! I would be more than happy to participate if it has the legal avenues covered to make the difference. Thanks
I think telling your story all around you so people know the truth about the clinic, dermatologies etc.. who did that . Twitter, Facebook, reviews , word to mouth ect... this will hurt the company more then a few pennies . Once you have been burnt they dont want to know , this affect people life . So i think the only way for those company to stop making such mistake and lying in my case would be to tell everyone else the truth so no one go through what we are all going truth , for me is hell.
I just know that unless you were to sue the provider who did it, there is no way you can access records regarding the specific machine (repair hx, calibration issues, etc.). Legally you can only get record of your own tx (settings used). And contrary to most people's perception, medical malpractice cases are very difficult to get going. Few or no lawyers are willing to accept a case unless you can get another doctor to say that you have permanent damage and that the damage was caused by a failure of the doctor to follow the prevailing "standard of care" and unless your damage is very obvious. Litigation is not an efficient way to prevent harm and ensure better information. I think patients should be able to be fully informed about the machine and the risks before they decide to undergo a procedure. Everyone who has had issues w/ this should be willing to sign a petition that goes to both FDA and to any state legislature and oversight body to ensure that enough information is disclosed to each prospective patient so that they can really be able to give "informed consent." People shouldn't have to sue somebody to get basic records and info. And if providers and manufacturers have to disclose info, then any trends in problems will become obvious. Now all we have is voluntary, aftermarket reporting to the FDA that everyone knows catches only a fraction of the problems. I've heard of at least one situation where a patient was quite badly disfigured by a Fraxel that apparently malfunctioned and the company reported it to the FDA as a "Praxel." The effect? Anyone doing an FDA search under "Fraxel" would not have found that report. I don't know if they later fixed that, but just imagine - that same machine could have been sold to another provider and no patient would be able to easily get that machine's hx unless they were badly injured as well and sued. That is just crazy! There are a lot of people getting injured and suffering adverse effects, and no one is routinely tracking it or the machines or providers doing it. The FDA adverse event reporting system is very hit or miss, but now that I have gotten my treatment records indicating the settings used on me, I am going to at least try to make an FDA report, and I am very interested in starting a petition for better regulation, information gathering, and information disclosure to patients on these devices.
True that speaking out on social media will help get the word out, but I know I did not really understand that there were as many people out there wi/ bad results before I had IPL. I assumed that because a licensed dr. was using what looked like a new machine and there were certificates of training on the wall and a recent inspection sticker on the machine it should be fine. The company brochure described the tx as appropriate for rosacea and redness, no downtime, etc. Now after tx I got a very bad rosacea flare, more broken blood vessels, dry looking, oddly textured skin, and unexplained pinpoint bleeding on my face every day. NOBODY said anything about this! Why would something sold as a tx for rosacea cause worsening of rosacea and CHRONIC BLEEDING FROM THE FACE???? I guess I am lucky the bleeding is superficial tiny dots of blood that are not that noticeable but boy this is odd and scary and I see NOTHING about this side effect anywhere on the internet, and the doctor who did the tx seems baffled, so obviously either not enough is known about these machines or the company knows about this effect and has failed to inform the public about it.
I didn't read this entire thread, but I was thinking of doing the same thing (i.e. petitioning). We should all join together and fight how unregulated these devices are. I am sure many people feel strongly about this and think that something needs to be done.
i had Radio frequency and the machine was also brand new , the doctor told me they were absolutely no side effect ( BIG FAT LIE) and she let a 18 years old practitioners doing the treatment , she had an afternoon training course and NO experience, and ofcourse i didn't know at the time and this has left my face in a very bad way . Experience is the key without it no matter how many certificate they have on the wall if they dont have at least 6 to 1 year experience and that is the minimum , you can be in trouble my face has been left in a real mess permanently . This was done in Tunbridge Wells Skin & Laser Clinic . I am so angry and P/off with company lying to make money out of people trusting them . Any petition going , i am in.
Feel free to PM me I'm happy to draft stuff and sign my name and address. I'll be working on this after some projects at work.
good