You Can Call Me "Slim" - Fresno, CA

My name is Serina but people call me Slim, Skinny...

My name is Serina but people call me Slim, Skinny Winny, and twiggy! On January 15, 2008 I had RNY gastric bypass procedure. My weight was 271lbs and I am 5'7. After surgery I was quite a bit nauseous. I experianced head hunger more than I ever had before durring the first week after surgery. But I wasnt really hungry. I didnt feel hungry one bit!!! A few months down the line i began to notice tht my hair was thinning out a bit. I couldnt really notice when I styled my hair, but I did notice when I washed it. One thing that bothered me SORT OF was that none of my clothes fit any more!!! Yeah I was stoked but I looked like a clown in my 16s when my butt was supposed to be in a 10!!!! Can you imagine!? I reccomend you buy some decent pants at a thrift store till you get to where you want to be, maybe occasionally splurge on holiday wear or some club-wear.

Its been nearly 10 months since my surgery and I have lost a total of 116bls. I and only 5 pounds away from my goal at 150. But then I look at myself and I know now what FIVE pounds is and I want to lose more. but 150 is my goal right now then we'll see.

My life changing experience that made up my mind to get the surgery was when I got kicked off a ride at the local amusement park. I never felt so humiliated because every one was waiting for the ride to start but they couldnt get me to fit!!! I cried so hard and felt so ashamed that I had done that to myself. I wont blame anyone else for me being fat, I wont say it was because of my family or anyone BUT ME! and I knew only I could change how I coulld live the rest of my life. I will never be that FAT AGAIN!!!

A word of advice: Dont save your fat pants because your scared you might gain it all back! Save one so you can show people your trophy for conquering obesity!!! dont let your self go back to fat!

Fresno Bariatric Surgeon

This man is streight forward with you! and thats the kind of man you want working inside your body. One who will tell you "this is whats up, this is whats going to happen, and this is what I'm going to do"

Great! Job can u give doctors #

I seen where you sent me a private message but i dont know how to reply without it being on here....class was just a one time thing...my goal weight is about 140 and i need to lose about 140 to get there
How much are you lookin to lose....and are you worried bout loose skin? By the way im from the US

I've sent you a PM. :)

Im a little tech slack....I don't know how to get to the pic mess.....I don't have face book but I would like to e mail you...what ya think...I had my first class today and go for physcological part tommorrow....then I just got to finish my six months dieting for insurance
My insurance required a six month diet followed by a doctor....but I go to my first class tommorrow....hope everything goes well for you
Thank you kirsty...how long do you have to go to classes and physoclogical meetings before they will let you speak to a surgeon or set up an appt. For surgery....

I haven't need any meetings with a psychologist. I'm in the UK and the operation will be through the NHS. There were classes I had to go to, once per week, for 3 months. The classes were basically to teach us about food again and how we should be eating, there was also an exercise class.

I had already spoken to my surgeon, as it is the surgeon that makes the requirments for the classes. My next appointment is in November to find out my definite surgery date. I know it is in January, just not when.

Kirsty...I go november first to my first appt. With the surgery place....but its more like a class....my insurance covers all but my deductible wich is 1250....and they pay for reconstructive surgery....im looking forward to the outcome since I've been disabled for 8 years....but I can walk to exercise and do non strenous exercises....I was 21 lbs heavier bout two months ago

Congratulations on the 21lbs weight loss. That's a really great achievement so far. I also had to go to classes before being scheduled for surgery. It's tough but if you stick to it then you'll get to where you want to be.

Miss thin thing you look awsome...im going through the qualifying process rt.now....I have 4 and half months of dieting I have to finish to qualify under dr care for a 6monster months total...I also am about 273lb and 5 foot 8 inches....I carry most of my weight in my thighs...I've got a tattoo in same place you do and im worried about surgery disfiguring it....but yours looks great

Hi Heartgirl,

Are you in the process of speaking to a surgeon yet? It's a long and hard journey, but definitely worth it.

nabut I can probably tell you why it was $750.00. I'm sure she was covered by insurance. If you have insurance without a clause that prevents you from having weight loss surgery you may qualify by having certain conditions called co-morbidities. Even if you are denied you can sometimes fight and win. I hope that helped you out.

I also suggest keeping one pair of pants and a shirt. In the community I volunteer in we have clothing exchanges for all the people that are in different sizes as they lose.
Great job!! Keep up the good work. As for your reply regarding getting rid of your "fat pants" consider taking your larger clothes that no longer fit to your local consignment shop. That way you can make some money on them as well as find new clothes in your "new size" for a fraction of the cost of new while you are waiting to reach your goal!! Again, congrats!!!
how did you only pay $750 for it?? i would really like to do it...
Hi Slim, I also find your weight loss magnificent. I am 5'7 245 lbs and am looking for reasonible cost. Can you send me your physicians information. I don't have insurance did your insurance help pay for your procedure? Hope to here from you soon and goodluck with your continues success.
WOW you are just stunningly gorgeous! Congratulations on all your hard work and dedication. Keep up the awesome job!! Take care, Rosie
Hey slim i am getting ready to have surgery i havent decided on bypass or band. I am almost neck and neck with you at your begining weight and I was wondering if you have alot og loose skin. This is a big fear of mine. Please post a comment and let me know. Thank you.
Hello Slim, I'm truly happy for you and wish for nothing but the best for you. I am obese myself, and was wondering if you could forward me some information about your doctor, the cost, etc.
hi slim i feel realy happy for you i'm overweigth and i'd like to have the bypass but my weight is 180pounds and my high is 5.5 aproximately i don't really know what's the weight that i have to be in and i like you to provide me the info about your doc,clinic,cost and everything thank you my email is {edited contact information} Editor note: You must join RealSelf in order to be contacted privately. This requires free registration for an account. When registering you must opt-in to receiving private contacts (a check box).
It goes by ur BMI and every insurance has their own rules on that. Also if u have health problems that plays a huge part as well.
wow, very cool, U look GREAT! Good luck & continued success!