The Beginning: Upcoming Clinical Trial Laser - California

I got the tattoo on my last birthday as a gift to...

I got the tattoo on my last birthday as a gift to myself (total backfire). I loved it for about a week.. I'm very finicky, which held me back for years from getting one in the first place. The tattoo is actually well-executed, it's a moderate size thin black-outlined red rose with dark green leaves and 2 vines- and is located on my left ribcage.

I've gone to 2 different doctors for consultations. The first one was a bust (anyone who tells you don't worry about it and they can make it disappear.. is lying).. he test-spotted a small single leaf in my tattoo using an Er:Yag first and Ruby secondly, in the end scarred the small site. The second doctor is actually extremely reputable, being one of the top dermatologists in the US.. he used the Revlite and AlexTrivantage and test-spotted a full red petal in my tattoo and 2 small leaves using the appropriate lasers. The green test spot has faded mildly, and the red petal has faded moderately.

I recently (yesterday) went to a state-of-the-art research facility at a highly recognized dermatologist's office for my third consultation and personal entry into their upcoming clinical trial. The condition that I be accepted was that the tattoo be symmetrical (yay). They will be treating the entire tattoo four times (R20 Method), however they will be applying a new ointment to one side of the tattoo inbetween passes that is supposed to decrease the amount of time needed to wait between passes. In the end, I will have four treatments at once.. and, as a gift from the facility, I will be given 2 free treatments after 2 follow-ups spaced one month and two months. The EXCITING thing is.. they will be treating me with the NEW Picosure laser (picosecond 755 alexandrite laser), which has been shown to clear green/blue ink close to 100% in one session! (And not to be released until early 2013). The trial starts in the next 2 weeks, where they will take pictures and follow my progress. Another great thing is, the medical director will ALSO treat the site with a laser for any leftover scarring, pigmentary/textural changes after my removal is complete.. which I'm told and hoping that it will only take a short couple visits, lessening the likelihood of scarring.

I will be sure to post pics before, after, and during the following weeks! :)

I have to apologize, I haven't updated my...

I have to apologize, I haven't updated my progress! I had my first treatment on 01/18, when they divided my tattoo into 2 equal halves. On one side, conventional treatment using the Picosure (used on green and black) and 532nm (used on red) and the other R20 Method with same protocol. The fading of the green ink was immediate and substantial, >75% clearance! The red has shown significant fading, lots of skin showing! (It's weird, because the side that was treated conventionally has shown the most fading). I have since gone for my 2nd treatment yesterday 02/27 (at 5 1/2wks), where they followed the same protocols. It felt twice as painful the immediate 1-2 hours following, compared to my first visit. The pain subsided at that time, and has since become very red and mildly tender.. I have a rather high threshold for pain, so I can't really notice any pain unless I rest my arm down or touch the site. When I was speaking with my doctor yesterday during my visit, he said that I'm kind of going against the golden rule 'the older the tattoo, the easier the removal' (it's only 1 1/2yrs old) and he's really astounded by my progress after only one visit. So that makes me really happy! Changed the bandage this morning, gently cleansing it with foaming soap and water. After patting it and letting it air-dry completely, I generously applied Aquaphor and re-bandaged with non-stick gauze pads and paper tape (more gentle on skin). I do this twice, daily. Keep the area as moist as possible, is the best advice I can give.. and when it begins to peel, DO NOT pick it unless you want scarring. This trial includes 9 free treatments.. 2 treatments down, 7 (or maybe less) to go! :)

Had my 3rd Tx today! Seeing the Post/Pre Tx...

Had my 3rd Tx today! Seeing the Post/Pre Tx Pictures that they take before I go in was really wonderful! My Dr is amazed each time I come in, which is really great to hear! Same routine as the last 2 Tx's. Had an awful ride home afterwards, so glad I had my boyfriend drive me! I am VERY tender presently, took my Tylenol and have a nice cold pack on! To update with the fading, there is a ton of normal skin showing between the red ink, black outline is fading nicely, and about 1/2 the green (accounting for both sides) is completely gone :)

The Tank

Hey just checking in for an update, how is your removal going? Would love to see pictures if you have any to share.
Updates? Which one is working better?
Nobody cares what the laser looks like.Im just saying
I would love to see photos too! People are so interested in this new technology and how it's working. thanks!
I would love to see photos.

How is your tattoo looking now?

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

How is the black ink fading? Can you post some pics? Thank you

@MOx12 - would love to see the results. I was speaking to Dr. Jeffrey Dover about the Pico technology that his clinic is also trialing. Sounds very promising for tattoo ink colors that current technology can't adequately address. Thank you.

I go tomorrow! I can't wait to start this journey so I can end it and move on with my life!

Looks like the Picosure just got FDA approval so we should see a lot more coming up! Amazing you can get rid of a tattoo in 1 treatment.

I can't help but to be skeptical...kind of one of those "If it sounds too good to be true..." sort of things. It would be awesome if it actually did do it though.

Yes! Won't be one treatment, for the most part, but is David to cut most tattoos' removal more than 1/2!
Said* new phone lol
Will we be able to do a search to find out which Dr.'s will have the picosure laser? I'd love to have my mostly green tattoo removed!
Usually the company's website has a search function for their device installs.
The Picosure sounds like a very promising technology for quicker, safer tattoo removal. Steve Weiner, MD
Whereabouts in California are you located? Do they have numerous trials? I would love to be involved in something like this. I'm the same with my new tattoo, so finnicky would rather not have it since some days I love it some days I don't. Any information you could provide about how I could become involved in something like this would be so great! :)

Thanks,
Gianna
A lot of research on my part.. actually made a consult for a different cosmetic study and the receptionist informed me of this nonadvertised trial after I mentioned my tattoo regret. He is a world-renound dermatologist, which is why I sought after his office for treatment.
That sounds exciting! How did you find a place like that?
The cream is only supposed to remove the oxygenation (whitening of the skin) after the initial pass. It doesn't aid in the fading process, but simply speeds the actual treatment time.

Oh, I see. Hopefully you will see lots of fading - looking forward to hearing. :)

The trial sounds like a great thing for you! I do have to ask, what happens if the cream doesn't do what it is suppose to? Is there a risk of burn or would it just mean the tattoo simply won't fade as much?

Are there any differences in how well the tattoo is clearing between the R20 and Picosure treated side? How did the two treatments feel compared to each other?