Troubling Otoplasty - California, CA

I am 16 years old now and I had an otoplasty done...

I am 16 years old now and I had an otoplasty done 6 MONTHS ago and they are still red and dry. I Have been putting lotion, vitamin E, Petroleum Jelly, anything you could think of, on them. I don't know what can heal them anymore, so I am obviously a little upset with the whole thing. What should I do?!

I posted a previous review on my otoplasty a...

I posted a previous review on my otoplasty a couple months ago and would like to update it. My ears are still very red and I havn't seen much improvement. My surgeon keeps giving me scar fading cream and other products but I feel like it won't change anything. The skin on my ears is just very thin and sometimes it even peels off a little. I need help and would appreciate some suggestions, thank you!

I posted a previous review on my otoplasty a...

I posted a previous review on my otoplasty a couple months ago and would like to update it. My ears are still very red and I havn't seen much improvement. My surgeon keeps giving me scar fading cream and ither products but I feel like it won't change anything. The skin on my ears is just very thin and sometimes it even peels off a little. I like the way they look, it's just there outside color. I need help and would appreciate some suggestions, thank you!

I had an otoplasty done 10 months ago and my ears...

I had an otoplasty done 10 months ago and my ears are shaped okay, the left ear could by a little farther pinned back but it's fine. That isn't the problem, the problem is that they are still red! It appears to be a scar but I don't know. My surgeon (who I believe doesn't know what to do) keeps telling me to put 'Scar Fading' cream on them but I feel like I need some type of special treatment because the discolorization doesn't seem to be getter better, I will post some pictures of them but I really need help. I live in Riverside, California and would appreciate any comments. Thank you!

HELPPP MEEE

It's been 2 years now and My ears are literally still the same, there has to be someone out there experiencing the same thing as me, please someone help me. I just need some plan, I just can't do nothing about it

2 Year Update

It's been 2 years since my Otoplasty and unfortunatly my ears basically look the same. I am unsure of what to do, I just wish there was some way to get the lost skin/cartilage back and get my old ear skin color back. If someone please knows a skin/ear specialist that I can talk to that would be perfect.

Did you make contact with Francoise Firmin in paris?
No I have never heard of him, I suppose I should try?
Did you find a way to fix it. I'm having the same problem with my left ear and it's been 6 months since I had the surgery done. help please.
No I have not found a way to fix it... Its been like 1 and a half years for me so I'm just thinking it will never go away, just gunna have to live on makeup for the rest of my life... It sucks but what can I do. Im sure yours can't be as bad as mine but I wish you the best of luck
what i have learned from this surgery is the headbandage should be very light pressure on the ears as a tight bandage can cause tissue loss.As mentioned before by others its probably pressure related as its both ears if it was the circulation problem i think you would of been unlucky to have it on both ears presuming the surgeon was of a reasonable standard.you could try stop puitting anymore creams on them and gently massage them a few times a week worth a try i guess.
Yes! That's the same unfortunate thing we learned (my son and I, who both had the surgery). We were only told to use "a headband" for his first otoplasty and I didn't realize the one I got him was incredibly tight and had a tall, rough seam. I can only imagine how much pain that added for him, in addition to the damage it caused his skin. It literally wore off the skin on his ears, and once those spots healed he had big puffy scar lumps. Luckily the doctor did a cortisone shot on each lump during the revision otoplasty, and now one is nearly invisible and the other is at least completely flat, though still quite red. Doctors, please be sure to give specifics about what kind of headband to use, or even provide them!
i was talking about the bandage they put on immediately after surgery.The headband after the initial surgery i didnt get one, as the surgeon dosent believe in them and he is one of the best ear surgeons in the world.A girl named Tania shirt losted a ear as the tight bandage cut of the blood supply and had to have ear reconstruction heres a link http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-349917/I-ears-pinned--fell-off.html
Yeah, it definitely was headband related because I just have very very thin skin on my ears and I really don't think its possible to get the skin to grow more on my ears... Hopefully overtime it will get better because that's the only thing that will help at this point. Wish I never even got the surgery but what are you gunna do
It would be helpful to see some pictures
Any updates? My son is having a similar problem, 9 months post-op. Big puffy red areas where the headband used to rest, mid-ear... but he stopped wearing it in February! Suddenly the blisters appeared a couple of months ago. His ENT / plastic surgeon said to use Mederma, but his dermatologist said that would be useless and to just use vitamin E oil... no change yet though.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

I see RealSelf had to edit away your message, but I did see the original. I'm sorry you're still having the redness! I totally understand how having redness that causes stares, questions and possibly pain would be just as bad as, if not worse than, protruding ears. At this point it sounds like a dermatological problem rather than an ear problem, so have you considered seeing a dermatologist? At this point who cares whose fault it is, you just need to get treated by someone who can diagnose the problem. As for us, my son's revision surgery is in a couple of weeks and the ENT is going to do a steriod injection in each of the large red bumps on his ears. I realize that would not help your raw, red skin issue, but the point is that we're still working on it and hopefully this does the trick. Good luck and fingers crossed that it can be improved for you!
Thanks a lot for your support and yes I have seen a dermatologists, she just recommended using scar creams but really had no idea how to reduce the redness. I hope the best to your son because I can definitely understand how annoying and stressful something as simple as ears can be. If you figure out some way that can be any of use to me, please let me know, thanks ( :
Scar cream??? But it's not a scar. I'm really surprised the dermatologist would say that. I'd get a second opinion. It seems to me like what raw, damaged skin needs is a prescription-strength ointment to help it regrow (I'm no doctor, but it's just common sense!). A scar is skin that already healed, just not in an attractive/smooth way. If nothing else, start googling ointments for regrowing skin or for raw skin and try some of those. If it's not actually raw and you mean your otherwise-normal skin is just red in color, then it still stands to reason a dermatologist could treat it... they treat spider veins and burst blood vessels, after all!
Yeah I totally agree, the thing is; nobody has ever come across something like what has happened to my ears. I believe you are right though because to me... It seems like some blood type problem or something. Because they are sometimes really red or not that red, just depending on what I'm doing. I will definitely look for some skin "growth" oitment of some sort, thank you!
send them pictures and a explanation to some internationally recognised ear surgeons burt brent (usa) francoise firmin (france) greg o tole (uk) david gault (uk) nagata japan
Could you please tell me who your Dr is, where you got it done?? You can visit Joseph Cruise, he is a great Doctor. He is in Newport Beach CA. He would be of great help. Sorry if my comments are posted twice..
I got my surgery done in Riverside, CA by Dr. Childers.
That definately does not look normal. Especially for 6 months out. I have written numerous articels and book chapters on otoplasty. I'd be happy to see you in Salt Lake City to see if we can figure out what is going on. My website is www.MobleyMD.com. Best of luck to you.
I wish I could see you but unfortunately I live in California. Could you suggest anything to do to fix them? Its really just the red color of them that is the problem.
There appears to be an element of pressure related injury like you could be wraping your ear with a dressing to tight. This can lead to skin breakdown and infection. Get it checked by your surgeon.
I appreciate your answer and my surgeon just gave me some oitment to put on it every night. He thinks it's a scar but I don't think so. And you said I wrap my ears with a dressing too tight but I havn't worn a dressing in 6 months. Please reply, thank you!
I am not a doctor but could it be an infection or a problem with the blood supply? In any case, I think its best to see a doctor very soon (not necesarily the doctor who performed surgery on you)! The problem might be easily solved, I don't know- but you have to get it checked out!