Worse off Than I Was Before?? - California

To start, the main reason i decided on an implant...

to start, the main reason i decided on an implant is my chin was small, did not align with my nose{side profile} as i do have an overbite and even post braces was not fixed, i am now almost 3 weeks post op and it appears crooked. I am ready to have it removed and think its worse than before,from what ive read and told,is it takes a few months for things to heal and real results actually show,however i am really self conscience about my facenow, than i have ever been. My incision is under my chin and has pretty much healed. it is raised so when i run my finger over it its not flat,which is also making me freak out.. i have read swelling can make the chin "appear" crooked,in my case i hope so, id really hate to go thru another surgery for removal because i doubt i would ever do this again or mess with anything on my face for that matter. The left side of my bottom lip and chin are still numb, when i talk it seems like im talking thru my teeth since my lip wont move, on day 11 post op i had the WORST nerve pain ever, throbbing, zinging,pins and needles, i dont really know how to explain it but it was terrible pain. I did call my dr office and was told it IS a side effect and i just have to bare through it,even pain meds cant control or dull pain from nerves.. My advice to anyone considering this procedure is if you can live with out it PLEASE do,unless you have an extreme receding chin , the aftermath is not worth it so live with the small difference the chin implant will maybe fix..

Hi ettsi -- I see what you mean about the implant looking crooked, but could this be swelling? Especially if you are a side-sleeper, swelling can gravitate to one side. Let us know how you're doing when you get a chance, and I hope it gets better for you.

hi sharon! .. yes i tend to sleep on my side, i am hoping it is only swelling because i am miserable thinking i am gng to need a revision but i keep reading and telling myself "give it more time" i have a post op appointment soon so i hope my dr will ease my fears.. i will update ..

Now 6 weeks post op my chin still appears crooked,...

now 6 weeks post op my chin still appears crooked, it leans to the left and i am worried.. DR said its too soon to tell but he doesnt think the implant has shifted, i have read it takes a long time for the results but by now i am restless and have it in my mind i need a revision.

Hello Ettsi,
I am also contemplating a chin implant. Do you still regret it or has it straightened out? Who was your doctor? You can email me personally if you are not comfortable saying it publicly. I am also from California. Thanks!

Hi Ettsi, I'm sorry you haven't had a positive experience. We will be doing a live video chat with one of our Top doctors tonight at 5:15 pm (PST), specifically around chin augmentations where anybody can ask questions and get real-time answers. If you're interested, sign up here.

Chin still off, fuller on the left side , cnt tell...

chin still off, fuller on the left side , cnt tell if its the implant , swelling after this long i doubt is the reason, next appt w dr is in a month. looks as if my chin leans to the left

Hi Ettsi, hoping you can give us an update being its almost 2 years later. I can see where your concern lies, and I'm hoping to hear you had a satisfactory outcome in the end. Just to help any newbies that come along and read this, I had my consultation today with my Plastic Surgeon, and he pointed out how most people are NOT anatomically even on both sides of their face, and when you add an implant it accentuates any unevenness already present. That is where the skill of the physician comes in to play (any old doctor can place an implant in a pocket), but the job of a skilled cosmetic surgeon is to be able to compensate for those factors with his hand and eye. That means seeing the variance and correcting it by choosing the right sized implant in order to be able to shave anything necessary from one part of the implant to give you a balanced look in the end. I'm only mentioning this because I'm not sure if your first picture is a before or just a close up of the after. If it is a before than it is obvious that your chin was already positioned towards the left, if that's not a before pic I apologize in advance but would love to read an update. Hope all is well!
etsi, i was wondering what size implant you have? i am supposed to be getting an implant next month and want a small one because i am wanting just a subtle difference- mainly for my profile and my face is getting smaller the older i get.
Did you get it removed? Just got mine done and i am not liking the way it looks on me. Really ready to remove it only 1 wk in!