Septoplasty/rhinoplasty, 2 weeks post-surgery - Calgary, AB

A common theme for those that are considering/have...

A common theme for those that are considering/have had rhinoplasty is having thought about it for a very long time. It has been over 10 years for me at least. Aesthetically, my nose is noticeably crooked (from the front view), and has a fairly large bump on it. I've never been comfortable having photos taken, even on my wedding day (thanks to a great photographer, those turned out well, lol). The septum (inside my nose) is twisted so far that it is blocking a good portion of one side.
That is all going to change next month. I definitely feel a little nervous, but I would say that I am much more excited about the final result than anything else. I'm also really thankful that I found this site, with so many amazing people on it who've shared their experiences and stories. It has prepared me for what to expect leading up to the surgery and afterwards. THANK YOU!

And thank YOU for paying it forward and starting your story. I've never for a second regretted my decision to get a rhinoplasty and I truly hope this is smooth sailing for you and that you're so glad you did this, too.

Please do keep us posted!

Well, just over a week until my surgery, so I...

Well, just over a week until my surgery, so I thought I would post a couple of before pictures so that if there are other people with a similar nose, then you can get an idea of what is possible (post-surgery). Will post a list of my "must have" post-surgery supplies shortly. Happy Easter to everyone!
Good luck, everything will go great!! I have a consultation with Dr. Zakhary this month, so i am very excited. Keep us updated!
Wishing you good luck with everything. Hope all goes well. Looking forward to reading your updates.
GOod luck with everything! You came to a great place for support and any advice that you may be looking for.

Thought I would upload a pic of my post surgery...

Thought I would upload a pic of my post surgery supplies. They are:
-Lip balms
-Gravol (generic, 50 mg Dimenhydrinate tablets)
-Dry shampoo (as I understand washing your hair with water isn't recommended for several days after surgery)
-Flexible straws
-Cotton swabs
-Hydrogen peroxide
-Polysporin ointment (or generic antiseptic/antibacterial ointment)
-Saline solution sinus rinse (I like the NeilMed sinus rinse, reusable bottles and salt packets included. Don't use tap water! You'll need to boil water and let it cool for use with this rinse. It works great when you have a sinus cold too, double packs are available at Costco.)
-Arnica gel for topical application on bruised areas (Traumeel gel bought at the health food store)
-Prescriptions
-Paper tape (my surgeon had me commit to wearing paper tape on my nose every single night for a year to help with the healing process, lol, I'm going to need a lot more than one roll!)
-Facial wipes (I understand from reading other's experiences that the face can get really greasy and acne can come on easily after surgery)
-Bottle of witch hazel (a natural astringent for the facial skin)
-Cotton balls
-Benadryl (or generic, 50mg diphenhydramine hydrochloride)
-Gauze pads to be used as drip pads after surgery

***Disclaimer: The medications/supplements were prescribed for me. Always follow the directions provided to you by your surgeon or doctor for post-recovery medications, supplements, and procedures. Everyone is different.
How are you feeling? I had a rhinoplasty done by Dr. Zakhary on the 3rd of April. I have not seen a post by you post surgery, I hope you are recovering well.
I hope your surgery went well!
my doc and alot of others also sugggested drinking alot of pineapple juice! good luck you'll be feeling fine after 2 weks :)

I made it through, but have been having a tough...

I made it through, but have been having a tough time so far. Dr. Zakhary and the team that worked on me were amazing. The surgery took longer than anticipated (I was under for 3.5 hours) and unfortunately I bled a lot, which all drained into my stomach. This all wanted to come up as soon as I was awake (sorry to be too graphic), so to wake up to that was very frightening. My nurse Erin was fantastic with me, she just told me not to worry and to "get it all out." I was in recovery for about 1.5 hours, and my family were not allowed to come in. I'm glad that the health care team made that decision for me, I wouldn't have wanted to have my family see me that way. They were already concerned because of the length of time I took in the operating room. My husband was instructed to go and pick up "Pedialyte" to help me in replacing the fluids I had lost. I felt extremely sick for the first 12 hours after surgery. I was black and blue immediately, and my appearance was very upsetting for my family (my cats didn't even recognize me.) My husband and mother-in-law have been taking wonderful care of me, there is no way I could have managed post surgery on my own. I have needed help with everything, including bathing and using the washroom. Today is the 4th full day post surgery, and will be the first time that I will be able to bathe myself.
As far as discomfort, it is pretty accurate to say that it basically feels like the worst sinus cold you've every had. I have been unable to take the Tylenol 3 for pain management; I tried half of one and fainted, and this occurred on day 3 post surgery. My throat has been so sore from the breathing tube being in there that I can barely eat anything. Tea with honey seems to be providing some relief now. Crushed ice is good too, but only soothes for a very short time. Any food that is salty or acidic burns and dairy isn't recommended due to the mucus that it produces.
I'm sure that everything will continue to improve, but it is really hard for me right now. I will post pictures so that you can see how the bruising and swelling has been going, it is gradually moving down my face. Any suggestions people have for good post-surgery foods would be appreciated, along with suggestions for how to set yourself up comfortably to sleep.
Hi there. Congratulations on making it to the other side of surgery, even though you have had a hard time. I bled during surgery too but didn't swallow enough to throw up, but I did bruise terribly which shocked my family. Anyway, be encouraged that the bruising fades very rapidly. Take it very slowly as your nose is vulnerable & could bleed easily. As for food, jelly, shakes, yoghurt, mashed potato etc are all good. All the best to you for a good healing phase.
Thanks for your well wishes, I have been having a tough time so far. Dr. Zakhary and the team that worked on me were amazing, I'm very thankful for the care that I received. The surgery took longer than anticipated and unfortunately I bled a lot, which all went into my stomach. I had a bad reaction to the anaesthetic, so coming out of it was horrible, my husband and mother-in-law weren't allowed to come in to recovery because I'm sure it just looked like a horror show. There will be no photo of me in the recovery room with a thumbs up :) lol I've been very weak and my throat is so sore from the breathing tube being in there that there isn't very much I can eat (which is contributing to the feeling of weakness I'm sure.) I tried taking the Tylenol 3, but fainted after taking just half of one (I think I succeeded in scaring the heck out of my very sweet mother in law), so I have been taking 8 extra strength tylenols each day, but that doesn't allow my throat enough rest. I'm sure that it's all just a matter of time, but I'm not used to feeling this bad. How are you doing? Have you had your cast removed? How is your recovery going?
I am sorry that you had a difficult time. I found it difficult too. I find the breathing through my mouth the most difficult and the constant feeling of nausea. I got my cast off and stitches out on Wednesday and that felt great. I see her again on Tuesday. Only one of my nostrils is partly clear, but each day it gets a little better. I am very pleased with the results but there is still a lot of swelling. We are through the worst of it now. I am very pleased with Dr. Zakhary, she is so supportive. Keep your chin up, and keep thinking about the end result. Take care! Anne (from Cochrane)

It has been about a week and a half since my last...

It has been about a week and a half since my last posting. My recovery has come along, and I am feeling so much better; back to work tomorrow. I will post photos now so that everyone can see the chronology of how I looked after surgery. Even with the discomforts, I can say that the surgery was definitely worth it. The positive change to my appearance is amazing and will only continue to refine and improve over the next weeks and months. There will also be a great improvement to my breathing function, so I am very pleased. At 2 weeks there is still a large amount of swelling both outside and inside the nose. I still cannot smell or taste, these senses are slowly coming back, but the swelling is definitely hampering that. I'll be continuing with applying hot packs to the nose, doing the daily sinus rinses (2-3x), and taking vitamin D. Hope the pictures prove to be helpful.
Posting your review.
I hope you feel better soon. Your node looks so much better. Thanks for posying!
wow you look great so far! do you have another recent photo you can share? you poor thing about losing so much blood and being so sick afterwards- i too lost so much blood! i had revision rhinoplasty on monday (from 20 years ago) and lost 1/2 a pint- the surgery took 2.5 hours longer!- i too am extremely bruised but even more so because i had upper and lower lid surgery as well- all 3 at the same time is not pretty! lol- anyhow, hope you are enjoying your new look!
Calgary Facial Plastic Surgeon

I selected Dr. Kristina Zakhary to perform the procedure because she specializes in facial plastic surgery. I feel very comfortable with her skill level as a doctor and surgeon working on a challenging nose (mine), as well as with her personable manner. She is great to talk with, she listens, and explains the procedure, risks, and outcomes in detail. She welcomes any questions or concerns you may have. Her staff are sensitive and very courteous. You can expect to receive reminder messages so that appointments are confirmed and re-confirmed. Kelsey is one of her patient care coordinators and is always very friendly and supportive. All of the surgical staff at the hospital were amazing, Erin, Kelsey, and Juby, and the anaesthesiologist (cannot remember his name!) From my experience, Dr. Zakhary has a thriving and well-managed practice. I would strongly recommend her to others looking to have rhinoplasty surgery.