Facelift and neck lift BEWARE Dr. Abel and Gustavo Chajchir - Buenos Aires, Argentina

This is a revision of my previous review. I hope...

This is a revision of my previous review. I hope it meets the guidelines.

I had a facelist and Necklift done by Drs. Abel and Gustavo Chajir in Buenos Aires.

Sadly I am left with permanent disfiguring scars as shown in my photos.

I  paid an additional $3000 in cash for an arm lift and I woke up to find it was not performed.   They wouldn't refund the money I gave them before going under.
 I woke up after surgery on the table, unable to move the entire right side of my face and body.

They were walking around the room cleaning up.  I told them (slurring because I could only move half of my mouth) "help I'm paralyzed". Dr. Abel Chajchir reprimanded me angrily saying, "You're not paralyzed."

As I went in and out of conciousness my legs started convulsing wildly.  I was terrified.

When I was ready to leave Argentina I asked for my money to be refunded for the armlift which they didn't perform,  Dr. Chajchir said "Ok" and put me in a recovery room in the basement to wait for them to get the cash $3000 US out of the safe.

I waited over an hour then finally went upstairs to the Office and was told the doctor had gone home.

I tried to save money by going abroad.  I regret my decision and can't afford the revisions.   I never thought  one of those "plastic surgery nightmare stories" would happen to me.  I am traumatized and left disfigured.

I will post my photos soon.  In having trouble doing it from my iPhone

I trusted them to be qualified about making decisions regarding my entocort and surgery. All they had to do is google it and they would have seen that steroids cause impaired wound healing. It was an open wound for weeks and that's why it got infected and developed gangrene (dead black skin.) that had to be cut out. After 18 days they brought in a general practitioner to figure out why my wounds would not close. He told us it was the Entocort. People should know that doctors in Argentina do not have the same qualifications as doctors in the states. I asked one if the students that treats patients for the Chajchirs, "why don't you move to the US and practice there when you graduate? Doctors in the states make lots more money ..." He laughed and said, "I could never pass the medical license exam! They need to have knowledge of every specialty to pass the exam. We only have to get tested on the type we are going to practice." This explains why they didn't know my medicine must not be taken before surgery. It's pretty scary. I googled it and within seconds saw that it stops wounds from healing.
Entocort can affect your immune system when in any trauma, but it varies by patient. I really think as I hear more of your story (and I don't mean to hurt your feelings), that you need to own the things you needed to do and didn't. I am not saying it was intentional but let me just refer again to my own experience maybe. Before I went to Argentina, I researched over 2000 surgeons from various oversea locations. I researched the surgery I was going to have and the cultures I was considering having them performed in. Going out of the USA is very different just in regular life, let alone medical conditions for surgery etc. I was even considering the Middle East for a while and when I was searching there, one of the worries I had was the toilet (you have to crouch down almost to the floor as they don't have toilets like we do), I did find that in the Medical facility and some very posh hotels and restaurants they had toilets like ours. Can you imagine though, if they just had their regular toilets and I had just traveled there expecting everything to be like USA? On top of all this research, I asked what pain medications I would be taking, and I researched what kind of special medical devices, if any that are customary to prevent sagging, scarring etc for the surgeries I wanted. I did ask all of the surgeons/facilities I was looking into if they provided ..compression garments ..for example before I decided where I would go for my procedures. I also did the one thing that I believe you did not and its the most important thing you have to do before any overseas or US surgery. I went to see my doctor for a health check up and informed him that I was going to have surgery. He should have then been the one to tell you whether or not to continue your meds because he was prescribing them. I am really surprised, that you didn't do this before getting your surgery done. Again, I don't want to be mean, but you took a terrible risk. I was on progesterone at the time I went for my surgery and I honestly would not have ever relied on anyone but my GP to tell me whether or not I should be taking this when I had surgery. The reason is because the surgeons are just seeing you for the first time. Your regular doctor knows about your medical history and they should have a good idea if you are healthy enough to undergo surgery in the first place, and if your immune system is strong enough so that you wouldn't be one of the minority individuals who would be affected by taking a medication like you did, where there is a risk of this happening. Also, this GP that saw you in Argentina, did he do anything but look at you to make that presumption about it being the medication? I talk a lot because I studied medicine and I know more about things than people that just post their opinions here. For him to be sure of what caused you to have any issues, he needed to do more than talk about it, is what I am getting at. Did he do any testing at all? I would honestly if I were you get some testing done and the reason why I say this is that there are a lot of other things that could cause problems like what you describe. I really like the Spanish countries but they have some serious contagions there. During my visit to Argentina, the clinic was locked up tight. The swine flu was all over and they messed up my flight. I had to stop over in Chili. Almost everyone on that plane had a mask on. People were coughing and looked really sick. I was scared to death. I could see why they were so sick because everyone on that plane looked dirty. In Buenos Aires it was better, about only half the people had masks. Everyone coming into the clinic was required to wash their hands though. They have things like flesh eating bacteria in Argentina. Only in the Spanish countries and Florida have I gotten flesh eating bacteria food poisoning. You can get flesh eating bacteria, which will also cause what you describe, by just touching a stair rail in the subway there. You can transfer it by touching a wound. As for foreign doctors, as I said the whole medical industry is difference between overseas and USA. Medications that we won't use, they will use and visa versa. Also, do understand that if you had the same surgery in say..India..they would boot you out the door and tell you go home and follow up with your doctor. They wouldn't bring in a GP to try and help you. Culture plays a part in how people answer your questions too. That student may not leave because he has family there and unless most of the family decides to leave, their culture is family oriented. They are not people to talk about their culture or family openly. If you ask such a question they will give you an answer they think will sound good to you so it doesn't get into their personal affairs. The other thing is that they feel ashamed to talk about the other main reason they might not come here. You are required to take the tests in English. They do not let you become a doctor here unless you can read, write and speak English. Many foreigners, even if they speak well, have a problem reading and writing English and to them it's shameful like the way an illiterate American feels shame. Its very common for a foreigner to apologize when they try to speak English. There just like here you test to be a medical doctor, you take additional education and testing for your specialty and you do not need to know all specialties. If you are a plastic surgeon you don't test or get education for veterinary medicine or cardiac specialty. I really am sorry that you had such a bad experience, and I hope that I have widened your perspective a little more without offending you. Science isn't exact and often even the most experienced and accomplished specialists run into unforeseen issues. For example, they are doing a long surgery and the tissue becomes swollen fast and afterward when the person's out of surgery, the swelling goes down and they see the alignment is not perfect. Then it is a matter of what they do next. In my experience, the Chajchirs will try to help the situation. I had a friend who had plastic surgery in USA. It looked fake, even to me. I went with her to the doctor and she said "It looked great," but if my friend was dissatisfied, we could discuss alteration surgery that would have cost at least an additional $5000. I also had a good idea about what it was like to have surgery in the USA before I went to Argentina. I don't know if you realize, but most surgeons are unable to do plastic surgery in USA without using blood. They are now starting to have people donate their own blood in advance sometimes for surgery but that is in USA. Overseas, you have a good chance of getting contaminated blood. The Chajchirs did all my surgery without using blood. That was another reason why I decided on them. I almost made a terrible mistake as it was down to two surgeons for me. The facility in India and the Chajchirs. After many emails I started to notice the Indian facility was really not respecting what I wanted. They wanted to do one of my surgeries in a way where I would have bad scarring and when I refused this, they became really nasty. The Chajchirs wanted to do things the way I felt comfortable. The Indian facility was giving surgery like an assembly line..they would do ABC and it would look like DFG. The Chajchirs were interested in improving a patient case by case.
Ok thank you...

2 years post surgery.

First surgery had poor result.
This is after the 2nd surgery done to repair my neck lift.

Addendum

As one can see the final result of the revision surgery performed by Dr Chajchir is disastrous. I would never recommend Dr Abel or Gustavo Chajchir to anyone.
Hi, I have written my own review and anyone can comment on it. I am sorry you are offended that I have an opinion, but we do live in the USA. I have not bullied you or made any vulgar retorts. We live in a free country. I would love to see before pictures. My Aunt (who is a bit rude has an old saying but I don't want you to take it the wrong way. As you can see, I posted before and after pics. A lot depends on what the surgeon is dealing with before to make the after presentable. They make improvements not miracles. If you look at mine though, you will see they sure did make a miracle for me. I never expected to look that great. I was in really great shape but there is a difference in age too. I had some complications because if my age and what my body had been through, but they made it right. If you haven't seen my before and after, you should look. It was like beauty and the beast with beauty in the end instead of the beginning. I hated how I looked. I wouldn't even look in a mirror. I couldn't make eye contact with anyone. I was ashamed of my appearance before the surgery. I had a turkey neck. My whole face sagged and I was so fat in my face before I lost the weight, my nose looked huge and drippy.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Neck lift by Dr Abel and Gustavo Chajchir

45 degree view of final result : (
Thank you for sharing. If you can add any further things like before pics or what your endocort dosage was it would be helpful to everyone in making an educated decision. Sorry you were not happy with your result.

Consult and surgical skills

Dr Chajchir approved a corticosteroid
that I was taking. The medicine causes bad wound healing. That accounts for the bad scars.
The result of the neck lift was not caused by the medicine but by poor surgical skills.
I let them do a second surgery to "fix "the initial neck lift.... I should not have gone back...it looks 100 times worse than some loose skin.
No wound-healing problems on the revision surgery though... I discontinued the corticosteroids before that one and healed within a week.

Reconstructive surgery, "Ask the doctor" responses

I posted my pics for surgeon suggestions. They remarked on the incorrect surgical techniques used.
They have suggested a completely new facelift and neck lift, fat transplants, surgical scar removal and more.
I feel discouraged and stupid for giving my hard earned money to foreign doctors and can not afford thousands more for to repair their mistakes.
I might make a home equity loan.
A friend was attracted by a dog and her nose was practically torn off.
She had it repaired by a reconstructive surgeon in Texas.
I will consult with him and decide if I will have a 3rd surgery with him.
I will continue to post the rest of my journey....
Argentina Plastic Surgeon

Recommended by a flight attendant.