Um.. is It Really Only Supposed to Last UNDER 2 Weeks? (AND I Paid $1,500!) - Bryn Mawr, PA

So, I have naturally thin lips. They basically...

So, I have naturally thin lips. They basically disappear when I smile. I have always wanted fuller, more attractive lips.

Also, one of my biggest problems with myself were my laugh lines! I am freshly 33 years old, exercise, don't smoke, etc... and I have horrible wrinkles. It's weird. Maybe it's just another "blessing" that comes with being fair-skinned. Ugh. Honestly, I had the laugh lines of a 45-50 year old. Especially noticeable after losing a bunch of weight (too much).

Anyway - I'd gotten botox for the abnormally DEEP forehead wrinkles I had, which made me look 15 years older than I am.. They gave me 60 units! BUT - they said the laugh lines can only be treated by dermal fillers - as paralyzing the muscles by the mouth would be dangerous. Yikes! But, they warned - the dermal fillers are much more expensive and painful... so I put it off for a while.

Eventually I got up the courage and I made an appointment with a plastic surgeon - I didn't want to go to a "spa" for this and I definitely wanted Lidocaine injections to numb me before the procedure.

The doctor came in to evaluate me and I mentioned how I would also like fuller lips, he said he could use the syringe of juvederm to do both! I was excited :) Until he told me the price: $750 per syringe!!! My lord... everyone else on here seems to have paid not much more than $500 - ANYWHERE. But, I was there, and I had my CareCredit card and my lack of financial responsibility, so I went for it. Guess what! He ended up "having to use 2 syringes" so it was $1500!! I almost cried...

Anyway - He gave me multiple injections of lidocaine in rather uncomfortable area inside the mouth - upward and downward. Fun! Then after I was numb, he began to inject. At the corners of my mouth I felt the sting and pain - he said this was because that area requires the numbing of different nerves. Whatever.. I basically just felt poking, prodding, a slight tugging... haha - gross, but I was numb (for the most part). They kept telling me how GREAT I looked as they were doing it... and he kept on wiping more and more blood away as he worked. Hmm.. I was a little freaked.

So, he ended up filling the areas where I have the laugh lines. Which is awesome, really. They are GONE. entirely!! Unfortunately, the left-hand side one was really deep, and my face is so thin that you can see a bit of a lump - but, I actually don't worry about it because it's only noticeable in vertical lighting which casts strong shadows (like that in Victoria's Secret dressing rooms!! SO unflattering). It did bruise too, at the bottom.

He also filled my lips which INSTANTLY became scary puffy - like it was some sort of joke! It looked like I'd had some terrible allergic reaction to something, or had gotten punched directly in the lips. They assured me they would go down within 2-3 days and there would be "very minimal bruising." He ended up using TWO syringes at $750 pp, so... um.. expensive.

Also, something which we didn't discuss beforehand, which I had never even considered - he filled those little raised areas that come down from your nose to your lips (I don't know what they're called). I was curious as to WHY - but, it ended up working out and helping make the lips themselves not look so trout-pouty.

So, I initially had only gone for Botox!! And I had already paid for 40 units ahead of time. For some reason, he tried like hell to talk me out of getting the Botox!! I don't get it... I'd already paid - I was doing it. So, while he was doing the Juvederm injections he gave me the Botox injections, he said, but they seemed to be placed so haphazardly and he was not being the least bit gentle (and I have a pretty high pain tolerance... I've had botox before, PLENTY of shots here and there and several tattoos!) but, he was really just JAMMING them in there. Yikes. It wasn't fun and I STILL have bruising on my forehead.

So, finally, after some fine-tuning, and him literally reaching inside my mouth with his fingers to MOLD them like clay, they finished. They both told me I looked FABULOUS, with smiles, and to QUOTE the doctor "and the best part is, this stuff lasts YEARS!" I questioned him.. I said excitedly, "REALLY??!" and he AND his NP both said "Yes, it will last years!!" Which I have found to be wayyyy inaccurate.

They also had me tiled back for the Botox injections... my other doctor said they must do it while you sit up and they ask me to not lie down for at least 4 hours. THIS doctor said that was a "myth." Hmm...

So, I was embarrassed to go out to the receptionist to pay!! I thought people were going to be like what in the world happened to her? Haha. I mean, it was really bad... and my lips were bloody!

Anyway - so, I paid my $1,500 *reluctantly* and left - with ZERO advice on aftercare even though I asked!! I put ice on them for the first day. It helped a lot! The bruising started to appear almost instantly!

OH - and I just called the practice where I had gotten the Botox done before and they said they could 'fix them' and they charge $475/syringe. I got SO ripped off.

I will tell you now, tylenol and ice are the key. They were tender once the feeling came back, but nothing intolerable. The ice really helped the swelling go down. As the day wore on the bruising increasingly got worse... until day 3 when it began to improve.

I've attached a bunch of photos to share with you all. I really hope someone can help me out with what the hell could have happened here! I did so much research on this Dr. before going to him - he had nothing but rave reviews! I am so baffled as to how my lips could be put through such hell, at such an inordinate cost - only to return to EXACTLY the way they were BEFORE I got the procedure done. (so sorry this is so long, I just wanted to be sure I shared my full experience for those who are looking into getting this done PLUS hoping someone can help explain to me why it lasted less than 2 weeks and if there's anything I can do about it??) THANK YOU!! :)

I don't want to get into this whole rating system until I find out if there's anything I can do to get them fixed. Hopefully, I will be able to change my opinion on them at least somewhat... I am SO disappointed :(

Hello, I was wondering if you could tell me what Doctor you had this done at? I live in the Philadelphia area and have researched a few that interest me for dermal fillers around the mouth. Thanks so much
omg!i would definitely be asking for my money back! My best friend got her lips done and cheeks enhahanced with juvederm and that was about 7 months ago and she still looks great.She also paid $595 per syringe.they used 2.make them give you answers and money back bc that should not have happened.I wouldn't really trust them to correct... seeing how your 1st visit wwasn't the best.my opinion tho. I wish you the best!
Hi, I'm sorry that your results only lasted 2 weeks, that's crazy though, you got 2 vials, paid alot of money for them and gone so soon?? I'd be livid! Nice to see you have a good attitude about it. I would at least call them and ask what can be done to compensate you. It appears the doctor had a heavy hand in injecting you with not just the botox but the Juvie too, I bruise easly too and on doc made me look like I went 3 rounds with Mike Tyson..lol he hurt me alot, sounds like your guy "-) anyway your choice in what to do but if were me I would at least feel them out as your results are not the norm...good luck!! Keep us posted...
Oops, one more thing: I paid $395.00 per syringe, on sale, & when it's not on sale, I pay $495.00. I, in California, and I read it makes a difference where you're located. Also, your face is young looking already, do you have lines on your forehead?? You just seem so young...
I posted a different reply and didn't see it here. What I said was my Juvederm lasts at least 7 months! Something doesn't seem right. Is he a board certified dermatologist? Or what is his title? My friend has fillers and her body metabolizes it fast, but not two weeks! That's crazy! Also, maybe the doctor didn't want to give you Botox because its so cheap! He wanted to sell you expensive products! Juvederm comes packaged, and they usually open the sealed syringe in front of me. I would have lots of questions for that doctor. Ask him why it only lasted two weeks. Ask for a refund, or ask to have it injected, and watch him open your product! That way you know he's not diluting it. Hope this helps!
I would also request a refund as well as ask them why this wound happen. Ask for a price list too!
So sorry to hear! As for me, I haven't had any problems so far. Speaking to my friends who've had the procedure done as well, they are also pretty happy with it. I can't imagine what kind of doctor you were stuck with that would treat you so poorly! I understand how nervous and upset you must be, but they have a responsibility to own up to their mistakes! Medical professionals really have to make you sign so many forms to make sure they cover their own butts. You really should call, though - tell the staff about your experience and maybe drop a little hint that you've found someone else who could do it better and cheaper, they might jump to rectify your situation. Let us know when you get things worked out!
no, something went wrong. it should last a lot longer than 2 weeks. i had it in my frown lines 7 months ago and there's still enough juvaderm there to flatten out my frown lines. the first 2 or 3 days you have some swelling and tenderness where you got injected (about the same level of next day discomfort as an average dental visit where you got lidocain injections), but that goes down and you're left with the material. you should be able to feel it in there; it's really an 'injected implant'; it gells up once it gets inside the body. some people may find it feels a little disturbing. it takes time to get used to, like wearing a hat. once you're used to it, it doesn't bother you. i'm going to add one more thing. do juvaderm before you opt for the 'permenent' fillers like sculptra or artefill. that stuff needs to be removed by surgical dissection if you don't like it!!! juvaderm will dissolve on its own, and a doctor can also inject a drug that will make it dissolve faster if you don't like it.
Also, I have gotten botox lying down, sitting up, and leaned back.  Makes no difference for me.  If he was trying to talk you out of it for no reason maybe he isn't comfortable with his knowledge of the facial muscles? idk.  But it is common to bruise a little especially in the lips, it is such sensitive tissue, much different that the other parts of your face that you may get filled.  The massaging of the filler is what they are supposed to do to smooth out any lumps.  In fact, in the first 48 hours I would be gentle with the area filled until it really gets "settled".  Juve  is not a semi permanant filler that can last years,  There are a few individuals that seem to get a little collagen production boost from it but seems to be pretty uncommon unfortunately.  Even weeks later, sometimes if I rub my lips hard or something they are tender.  The botox should not hurt, maybe just a quick pinch.  I have never bruised from it and I have gotten it shot into my jaw muscles (for clenching)!  I would recommend you seek another injector next time,  Each one has there own artistic style, knowledge and techniques.
The prices vary by region, they can charge whatever they want.  In this area (Scottsdale where it is very common and in demand) I have seen prices from 400-600.  Some will even price match any competitor's price because it's so competitive!  Call around to get a general idea to compare - also, check out any Brilliant Distinctions specials:)
Wow - thank you so much for all of your input!! I really appreciate it :) Very helpful!! I have bruised every time I have gotten botox - I think I am just a bruiser... haha. I am a natural redhead, so you can imagine that I am very fair-skinned. I just never bruised like this! I still have one of them lingering on my forehead and it's been almost a month. Crazy. I will definitely check into the Brilliant Distinctions specials!! I signed up for an account on there and I've yet to even look at it although I have had several procedures! I have to remember that! So the Perlane worked best for you? It seems we may have similar "metabolisms" when it comes to this stuff, so I will have to take a look into that. I will read your review! I just responded so quickly without reading it. haha - so I might be bugging you again after I do :P Thanks again for taking the time to help me out! Much appreciated! :)
I see what you mean.  The problem with Juve that I have had is that it has a LOT of swelling the first wk or so and them goes down dramatically.  I too experienced what you did after my first time with fillers.  I didn't know better and used regular Juve and it was gone quickly.  The Juve ultraplus has bigger molecules meant for deeper wrinkles and may be slightly less smooth but may last longer.  I tried the Ultraplus and it is good but still short lived.  So I switched to Perlane mainly.  I find that it works best and longest for me (see review) but everyone is different.  When I work out more I notice I tend to process fillers and botox much faster.  Hope this helps!
you are smiling because you look good either way.
Aww, thank you! You're sweet :) I guess it's just part of being a woman in never being happy with the way we look!! Grr... I guess I wish I had just saved the $1,500 at this point. Anyway, thank you for your kind response :)
Go back and demand he re-does them! Wow, your lips should not of gone down so soon! These fillers are advertised for lasting at least 6 months. .If mine went down that quick, I would definitely be complaining! It's a lot of money to lose for no lasting results :-(
Hi Jenna! I WANT to call and demand they re-do them, but I am sooooo nervous about that!! I fear they'll just be like "everyone responds differently" and that'll be it... I have to do something though! It's crazy! I paid soooo much! They made me sign so many forms beforehand, too, basically saying I was opting for this procedure and they were not to be held responsible for the results... so I think I'll just get a big TOO F'N BAD from them if I call :( I saw that you had a positive experience with juvederm by your review. And if I was reviewing it for the laugh lines alone I would be like OMG it's awesome! That part worked :) It's just the lips... I wish I could at least get some of my money back. Thanks for your support though - I really appreciate it :)
I know what you mean, I'm usually the same when it comes to complaining but at the end of the day it is a lot of money to not say anything and I have phoned my clinic before if I find a problem and they have always asked me to come in. Perhaps they may give you another filler at cost price? The worst they can do is say no but I would definitely enquire about it. .

I can certainly understand why you would be feeling bummed if things went back to the way they originally were after just 2 weeks. Have you called the office where you originally had the injections done? Also, when they used the 2 syringes did they think a third was needed, or did they feel 2 was adequate at that time?

Hi Megan :) Thanks for responding!! I am totally bummed about it... CRAZY. I have yet to call the office. I don't know why - I am afraid that if I call and complain that they'll do something out of spite! haha. They made me sign so many forms relieving them of all responsibility for basically EVERYTHING before I went in to have the procedure... that should have been a red flag! It's just so weird because I did sooo much research on them before going and found nothing but positive things (I know that they can "fake" their reviews, but there were just so many in so many different locations) - and it's located in this area of the Philly suburbs that's known for being "swanky" - high-end everything. The office was beautiful, they had state-of-the-art everything. The doctor spent so much time with me discussing options, etc... I mean, I did initially have a really good impression. But now.... As far as the amount of syringes... he initially suggested I would need nothing beyond ONE! And that he was surprised he ended up needing to break into a second one - and that he was giving me EXTRA because he really only needed a little more than one syringe. I really hoped it would work because it wasn't exactly pleasant and the cost... ughhhh! I hate being whiny!! Sorry :( I really appreciate your response though, and would welcome any additional tips/info if you have any!! Thank you! :)

It seems like calling the office wouldn't hurt and at least then you would know what their response would be. Even if they do offer to correct it, that doesn't mean you have to go through with it if you aren't feeling comfortable getting treatment from them. I do understand how difficult it can be to go back to an office when you don't feel fully confident in them anymore. Ultimately, do what you are comfortable with and feel good about. If that is just letting go of the situation and chalking it up to an experience, there is nothing wrong with that. If it is calling them to see what can be done, nothing wrong with that either. If its going to a different office to try filler from another injector, again, nothing wrong with that option. Give yourself some time to figure out what you feel good about doing, and go with that. However, if you are wanting to discuss options with the office you went to try to call them sooner rather than later, because of course the longer the filler has been placed the less they will be able to see the lack of results you experienced.

Fill us in on what you decide to do when you reach a decision. :)