Breast Reduction -- Best Thing I Ever Did for Myself!

I had a breast reduction about 5 years ago at the...

I had a breast reduction about 5 years ago at the age of 38, and I am still thrilled with the results. I had very large, sagging breasts, 36DDD+, and weighed about 130 lbs at just 5'4". My breasts were so big that it impacted my professional image and credibility at work. They made me look fat, my back hurt, and I had a constant rash in my clevage. I felt horrible about myslef in a lot of ways. When my doctor mentioned that my insurance would cover the entire surgery (with a $5 co-pay) I didn't hesitate for a moment. The surgery was really painful. They removed over half of my breast tissue. I had to take a month off from work and use all of my vacation days. My mother had to come take care of me and my kids for the fisrt week, and I had 19" of stitches and scars that were very painful. Two months after the surgery I was very unhappy with the results. They were still swollen and painful, one nipple was higher than the other, they were off center, and one breast was bigger than the other. My doctor kept telling me don't worry-it will improve. He was right. By about 6 months, all of the swelling and healing was done, and I was left with beautiful breasts that I never dreamed I could have. 5 years later, my 36D breasts are perky, well shaped, and the scars are practically invisible. I often enjoy going braless for the first time since I was 11 years old. The surgery perked up my sagging breasts and my self esteem. Interestingly, my income has doubled as a result of a new job. The surgery was really hard, but I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. Honestly, I am grateful for the whole thing.

Plastic Surgeon

does anyone know if kaiser covers for 38DDD cup??!
please let me know!
I am so glad I read your post. I had my reduction(something I had anticipated for a long,long, time) 6 days ago. I am thrilled and skeptical at the same time. The breasts aren't exactly even, the, nipples aren't exactly level, and even tho I went from ddd to b-c, they still look pretty big to me. So, when I read your post, that made me feel alot better. I didn't realize the swelling could last for 6 months. I was starting to get alittle depressed. But, after reading your post, I realize I need to have patience. Things will be ok. Thanks!
Exercise - it has been proven that exercising is the best way to sculpt your body. And experts are also claiming that regular exercise is the best way to shape up and sculpt your breasts as well. Hence, it can help in breast size reduction. to reduce breast size how to reduce breast size

As that can be true, however if you are uncomfortable with your size it's causing you pain and your breasts are too large for your frame no amount of working out will help.

Joseph, I am pretty certain that with a 40 H you wouldn't be doing much exercising. It is hard enough on a woman's back and neck just to walk and perform normal daily activities, let alone try to exercise. Try doing the Stair master safely with such uuneven body weight. I have lost over 50 pounds and still no cup size reduction. Also, there is not a sports bra out there that can hold breasts this size well enough to enable proper balance for aerobic safety. Exercise in next to impossible and women like myself just keep feeling worse and worse about themselves because people, who do not understand being such large breasted, keep telling us to lose weight and exercise.

BackPain,

I could not agree more. Or people don't understand why you would want to not have so much "up there." They just don't understand. Are you planning on someday getting a reduction?

-Britt

Not always true. I am 5'5 and weighed just 98lbs and was still a DD cup at 20 years old. Eleven years and twins later, I'm having a tummy tuck and my insurance is "considering" covering a reduction and lift. I also run and I can assure you, boobs HURT when you run. I can't imagine trying to run with breasts larger than mine at 38DD. I was a 38F during my pregnancy three years ago.
Wyre-I had to provide documentation of back pain, neck pain, but it was in checklist form. My insurance is paying for my BR. I would ask your surgeon and your primary care dr to fill out the necessary forms... I go in this week for my BR! Good luck!
apparently all insurance companies are different...we are working on getting authorization for our daughter and it is not easy. She is only 20 and they want documentation that we don't have. She is a 36G - what more do they want? That's just too big and interferes with everything. Did you have to provide documentation for back pain and neck pain? chiropractor work or anything?
I am guessing the cost being $100 means co pay??? Thankfully my insurance co is paying 100%!
Who is your insurance company? Was it difficult to get approval?
AMAZING......just checked with my Insurer....absolutely no coverage for ANY type of Breast Augmentation as an OutPatient unless for Cancer Crummy Insurance Plan???
COSTS........I am reading postings from $100 to $4500 for a breast REDUCTION. Someone, please advise.

The very low numbers ($100) are likely because the person's insurance covered the procedure, like in the review above. Otherwise, you can narrow down costs in your area by checking our breast reduction cost map.

Good luck!

I have FF breasts and I am 5ft 2. I really want to get it done but I am only 23 and worried about the scarring. I read your description before your surgery and that is me to a T. Please give me any advice you can!
I am 5'1". I was DDD, now a c. You will be surprised at how any shoulder or back pain is gone immediately. As for scarring, I am sure I will have some scar, but it really doesn't look that bad. I am 2 1/2 wks post op. I still have soreness and some redness, but have been bathing with dial antibacterial soap and then putting neosporin on and they are looking and feeling better. You will want to kick yourself for putting it off as long as you have.
am happy for you,i just had mine done12 days ago,i like what i see under my tee shirt but not bare naked,half of mine was removed too ,from 42ddd+ to42d,i cant wait to see total outcome in 6 months.
Congratulations on your BR. My surgery is scheduled next month. I am a size 42H and having a diffcult time deciding on what size to go down to. I am currently a size 14/16 in clothes. Do you feel reducing from a DDD to a D was enough? I am debating between a full C and small D. Also, how long was it before the swelling was gone and yo knew the true size? Thanks for the insight.
Hello do u know how much cc. your doctor removed. i am two weeks post op. he took 250 cc but i am still fitting my DDD bras. what do u think?
Congratulations to you on your BR. My surgery was June 3rd and all I can say is wow, what a difference! I don't know how many cc were removed but I can tell you he removed 3.5lbs from each side. I can't fit any bras I had prior to my reduction. I would say depending on on how much you've gone down you may or may not see a difference right away because of significant swelling. From what I've been told the swelling can take 6-8 wks to go down.
I went from DDD to a C. It is the most wonderful thing in the world. You will be amazed at how much better you will feel about yourself. I am still sore, stitches are still continuing to dissolve after 2 1/2 weeks, but I am so thrilled with the results, none of that matters.