"58yo with Breast Cancer, Bilateral Reconstruction with DIEP Flap Procedure" Breast and Body Center of Austin, TX

Having a new breast cancer diagnosis is traumatic!...

Having a new breast cancer diagnosis is traumatic! However, I have been immensely impressed following a double mastectomy 4 weeks ago that included amazing breast reconstruction results provided by Dr. Robert Whitfield and his staff. I chose Dr. Whitfield because I could tell from our first meeting that he was passionate about his cancer patients and the results that could be achieved using their own tissue to reconstruct the missing breasts! At our initial meeting, he took the time to explain the DIEP procedure in layman’s terms and he was also extremely helpful and considerate in providing information about alternatives and expectations for different choices. He also asked his staff to locate former patients who had undergone the same procedure so I could talk to them. Three patients contacted me before, during, and after my surgery and they each spoke highly about their experience and provided “real” tips and advice! I spent my career in the nutrition and dietetics field working with several physicians and surgeons and I also stood beside my first husband during his 9+ year battle with leukemia. Based on my experience, I realized Dr. Whitfield was one of those rare and highly skilled health professionals with the social skills and compassion to “walk the journey” with each individual patient … rather than just performing the procedure and moving on! Dr. Whitfield’s recommendations for a successful reconstruction were right on target … and I followed his advice to prepare for the surgery and to guarantee a successful recovery afterwards. I was told to expect a slower recovery because of the extensive reconstruction, but I was already feeling energized and more like myself within 2 weeks after the surgery! I have no doubt my outcome was directly related to Dr. Whitfield’s expertise and his competent team, my healthy diet pre- and post-surgery, and my expectations for a positive recovery from the beginning! I chose Dr. Whitfield and the DIEP flap reconstruction procedure, knowing full well I would experience some discomfort along the way. However, I have not been alone on the journey, and I know the discomfort is there to make me stronger in the end! I would recommend Dr. Whitfield and the DIEP flap procedure wholeheartedly, to anyone who is interested in living the rest of their life with their own breast tissue!
It's nice to have a doctor with great all around skills at your side during a tough time. So your flap was from your tummy? Did you not get any type of implant? How many surgeries did you end up needing? Sounds like you're nearing the final stretch of the process. Congratulations and thank you for sharing your story on RealSelf!
Beth, The DIEP flap procedure removed tissue from my lower abdomen. I did not want to have implants. My double mastectomy and the reconstruction were all done at the same time. I will only need some touch up day surgery to complete the treatment! I'm looking forward to a successful outcome!
Oh wow...you look incredible! It's amazing you had enough tummy tissue to recreate both breasts. Thank you for sharing your self portrait. It's helpful to other women seeking reconstruction.

One-Month Post Surgery

I made a "self-portrait" photo on my 1 month post-surgery anniversary. I'm now 2 days away from celebrating my 6-week anniversary and I'll see Dr. Whitfield in about 2 weeks to plan for my "touch up" day-surgery. I can't believe the amazing results and great progress I've made following my 9-hour surgical "adventure" for the double mastectomy and DIEP flap reconstruction! I can go out in public and no one would every guess what I've been through, unless they notice I move a bit slower than usual! I have plenty of energy ... but I'm taking care not to trip and fall ... since I've come too far to mess up my progress! I started Physical Therapy rehab 2.5 weeks ago and I can raise my arms above my head fairly easily. I was given the go ahead to resume my walking regimen and I'm now walking a mile at a time. This surgery was absolutely worth it!
I am going into surgery with Dr. Whitfield in about a week. I have a lot of confidence in this reconstructive surgeon. Your post has calmed my fears and reminded me I could request other patients call me with their experiences. Good Luck as you recover
Austin Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Whitfield is a considerate and a highly competent plastic surgeon who is passionate about his practice!