Atrophy a Possibility After Aggressive Rhinoplasty? - Boise, ID

Had a rhinoplasty where my deviated septum was cut...

had a rhinoplasty where my deviated septum was cut to remove a bend, and the cartilege was then use to soften a bump on top of nose. The hole never closed, so I have a huge hole in my septum. My face seems thinner, and circles under eyes have increased significantly. I have read on here that doctors see no correlation. I have researched and have drawn my own conclusions and am wondering how this can't possibly be a plausible explanation? If cuttting, or overaggressive rhinoplasty has occured, can't this damage blood vessels, leading to atrophy of parts of the nose and eyes that usually receive more ciculation?

Please give me advice, My plastic surgeon in Boise...

Please give me advice, My plastic surgeon in Boise Idaho, used part of my septum to cover a bump on my nose. During recovery my septum skin did not heal properly over the hole so I am left with a large, dime size oblong hole in my septum. I am so terribly depressed as people continue to tell me I look sick now and have sunken eyes and a sunken face. My wrinkles around my nose, mouth and eyes have increased 10 fold. I look 20 years older and I use to be told I was a very beautiful 40 year old. I don’t know why this is happening? Why does my face look sunken? I can’t find any correlation to this and I don’t know if there is any hope for me as I am worried he cut a nerve or something. I am also aware that repair for this is usually impossible. Help me please, any advice would help. Thank-you so much.

I hope this helps others out there going through...

I hope this helps others out there going through this. I have almost been suicidal since my rhinoplasty because i look so much worse. I have hollow eyes, saggier cheeks, and wrinkles in my upper lip. I look about 20 years older and can't find any info about this because everyone thinks this is crazy. I started thinking I must be imagining this. I had rhinoplasty and had a procedure known as septum recession. Well, there ended up being a hole in my septum afterwards. When I told my doctor I looked so much older he said that was impossible and the septum would have nothing to do with looking older. I have been a mess ever since. Welll, the other day on a total whim, I put a small sponge in the hole of my septum. I was shocked... It was the old me!! my cheekbones were fuller, my orbital holes no longer stood out, I looked like my old self and young again! I have a theory as to why this is working. My surgeon took too much from my nose and disrupted the sensitive organ that it is. The sponge seems to be warming it, also stimulating a part of the nose that should be permanantly a bit swollen. It is tha part of the nose that sneeezes when stimulated.I believe this part of the nose when disrutpted too much can die, thus leaving the sides of the nose wall dead and flat, whereas normally it is a bit swollen supporing the cheeks and eyes. We are not crazy!!!! Doctors are doing too much to the center of our noses and it is affecting all support in the middle of our faces, including the wrinkles in the uppper lip! I am going to continue using this sponge until I can get someone to take accoutability for this and am going to fight it tooth and nail for all of us who are claimed to be "crazy and stressed" Please, fight this too! You are not crazy, there is a huge support system in our noses that supports our faces and is disrupted with overly aggressive surgery! I look 20 years younger with this uncomfortable sponge up there, like my old self...I cried for about 5 hours from relief of seeing the old me!!! I will update you when I find someone to take this seriously and fix my nose so I can take out this ridiculous, uncomforable sponge! keep asking....you are not crazy...more research needs to be done about this horrible side effect and doctors who care should be doing it. I would like to find a plastic surgeon who would take pictures of my face before and after and work on developing an aporratus, such as an organic sponge lightly sprayed with silicone and surgically placed in the nose. I truly believe this is a possible solution.

Because i am left with a huge hole in my septum.Updated on 25 Feb 2011:

I had the same thing happen to me! After revision septo/rhinoplasty something looked different about my face as a whole. The appearance of my nose did not change all that much. I did not have a hump removal or anything like that. Now, my face looks gaunt and thin. I have not lost any weight so that is not the case. My malar cheek fat in my cheeks seem to have vanished. It is just flat looking. My eyes are also still dark underneath. I also have a dark soft spot in the bridge of my nose. I feel as though something was damaged that caused all of this..I saw another ENT and he says I have a split in my septum. I want to know how surgeons can say that malar fat loss, and hollow eyes, is not a possible complication of this type of surgery when so many people have had this same experience after this surgery. My before pictures clearly show that I had cheeks and no visible nasolabial lines that stood out. I look like I aged due to all this.

Robyn,

I just sent you a personal message. I hope it helps.

Angie

I apologize to Angiemcc, I don't think you were being sarcastic, this is all just very awful. To post a suicidal hot line seems to not answere any questions but rather passes the buck to another profession. I really hope plastic surgeons research this correlation for all of us who trusted a doctor to make us look better, and ended up looking worse. It is all so disheartening and so many people out there have experienced this.Do we have any hope of this repairing itself? I am almost a year post op, could I still be experiencing post op. side effects? In time will my body heal itself and regain fat in the sockets of my eyes?
I am aware of suicidal hotlines Dr., however...thankyou for your obviously sincere and not at all sarcasic...concern. I would love to see some actual feedback to the medical concerns I had. Any research on the correlation btw. the eye bags and overly aggresive rhinoplasy?
I am wondering if ANY doctor can add a link to this post for all of us who have noticed fat disappearing, or eye bags increasing, hollow sockets? If there is nothing researched yet, please let me know that too. If it has not been researched...why? So many of us have endured this side effect.

Robyn,

If you truly do feel suicidal, please go to this website where caring folks can talk to you about other options.

It is a physical problem. A suicide hotline IS NOT going to fix that. How do you feel when you get a really bad haircut? Imagine that feeling, only a miilion time worse and that you're stuck and there is nothing you can do. And no one believes you or cares and it is making you act crazy
I'm truly sorry if anyone took my comments not as intended and to anyone who is in an immensely dark place–my heart goes out to you. But RealSelf is not the place to talk of self-harm and doing so violates the site's terms of service. Suicidal issues are much bigger problems than we are designed to address here.
I hope this helps others out there going through this. I have almost been suicidle since my rhinoplasty because i look so much worse. I look about 20 years older and can't find any info about this because everyone thinks this is crazy. I started thinking I must be imagining this. I had rhinoplasty and had a procedure known as septum recession. Well, there ended up being a hole in my septum afterwards. When I told my doctor I looked so much older he said that was impossible and the septum would have nothing to do with looking older. I have been a mess ever since. Welll, the other day on a total whim, I put a small sponge in the hole of my septum. I freaked!!! It was the old me!! my cheekbones were fuller, my orbital holes no longer stood out, I looked like my old self and young again!!! My point is this, we are not crazy!!!! Doctors are doing too much to the center of our noses and it is affecting all support in the middle of our faces, including the wrinkiles in the uppper lip! I am going to continue using this sponge until I can get someone to take accoutability for this and am going to fight it tooth and nail for all of us who are claimed to be "crazy and stressed" Please, fight this too! You are not crazy, there is a huge support system in our noses that is disrupted with overly aggressive surgery! I look 20 years younger with this uncomfortable sponge up there, like my old self...I cried for like 5 hours from relief of seeing the old me!!! I will update you when I find someone to take this seriously and fix my nose so I can take out this ridiculous, uncomforable sponge! keep asking....you are not crazy...more research needs to be done about this horrible side effect and doctors who care should be doing it.