Worth It - Cost $22,000 - Boca Raton, FL

If you are being told to get jaw surgery at a...

If you are being told to get jaw surgery at a young age do it now! If you wait it will eventually catch up to you. At 51 I had the surgery and in my opinion it was not painful and my bite is now perfect. Key is to find a doctor that routinely performs the surgery and someone who takes pride in their work. I was fortunate to have an outstanding surgeon. If you had the surgery and can provide a total cost (not just wait you paid) please post with county and state info. In the process of appealing my claim with insurance. Thank you. Estimates are good too!!

Hi, I am 52 years old and considering the surgery, so I'm glad yours went well since we're around the same age. I had braces as a teenager and back then to correct my open bite, the orthodontist had me wear an appliance that pushed my chin up and back--my orthodontist today said that likely worsened my jaw problems. My open bite is back, my teeth are crooked again, and I have worsened jaw issues that include the appearance of a double chin, worn teeth, receding gums (I've already had grafts) and TMJ pain. After reading some of the horror stories on here, I was really concerned I woldn't be happy with the results, so thanks for sharing your positive story. How are things going now? Any chance you would post before/after pics? Thanks.

Its fantastic to hear that your bite is perfect now and you had such a successful operation. I would love it if you would share more details about what the surgery was like. How you prepped for it, what you experienced during recover, if you were wired shut, how long before you could eat solid food, etc.

In 2009 my dentist finally convinced me to see an oral surgeon. My gums were receding and I was wearing down my teeth due to my cross-bite. He told me I would end up with dentures which would be difficult to fit. I was only 48!!! I had a team, my orthodontist, dentist and oral surgeon and they outlined a 4 step plan. 1). Gum grafting to fix recession (2010). 2). Braces to worsen my bite in preparation for surgery (10/2011) 3). Surgery (10/2012) and 4). Replacement of crowns and possible veneers for lower front (2013-2014).

Before and After Photos

I've had a few requests to post pictures. 10/31/2013 will be my one year anniversary. I'm happy with the results and did not have the surgery for cosmetic reasons. Outwardly the results are minimal. I'll consider posting the pictures soon.
My insurance was billed $63,000 but their allowable was $4800 (HMO) so that's all the hospital got.

It's been a year (and a little)!  Happy anniversary!!  I hope you are still happy with everything, and that life is back to normal!

I had the surgery 4.5 weeks ago and am experiencing a LOT of pain still. Not in the bones but in the nerves to my skin in my face. Did you experience any of this?
Stephen Rimer