My Journey - Birmingham, AL

1st a little about myself - I am 39 years old and...

1st a little about myself - I am 39 years old and have 3 children 13, 11 and 6 - I am 5'3 and weigh 130lbs. I have been wanting to do this for 5 years. My stomach was what I called my deflated balloon because it just hung and had a lot of dents and scars. I am not in bad shape and I exercised but nothing would help the look and how loose my stomach was. I finally got up the nerve and we planned the surgery for 01/14/11.

I found this website on Sunday and can not say enough of how it has help me keep sane.

My Journey so far:
1st day - nervous and excited - surgery went great.
2nd day - check out of hospital - was feeling ok but by the night time was very sore and was wondering why i did this.
3rd day - My poor husband - he was very patient and as long as i took my meds on time - i was not bad.
4th day - much better rested a good bit this day and drank plenty of water and never missed my pain pill (that made a difference)- hated dealing with the tubes but new it was part of it.
5th day - feel almost like me but I am very stiff and sore - wondering when I will go to bathroom - took a ducolax but so far no good.
6th day - 1st check up with doctors - TUBS are out and he suggested MOM and guess what - it WORKED best day so far tubs out and internal plumbing is working as well.

7th day went with out pain meds for most of day...

7th day went with out pain meds for most of day but by 2pm was ready for them. Had my 1st shower and felt almost normal. My swelling is the toughest part for today and I'm still sleeping on back which is not the most comfortable. All in all not to bad of a day.

Hope you're doing well. Anxiously awaiting your next daily update.
Thanks for the day by day progress it really helps us who have our surgery scheduled but yet to experience it.

I agree, the day-by-day is great. And you'll probably help keep others sane. We'd love to know the name of your surgeon!

Thanks for posting here to RealSelf!

Ok - not sure what happened but for some reason I...

Ok - not sure what happened but for some reason I could not sign onto my account - finally got that resolved...

Day 8 - Well it is Saturday (yea) No getting up and making sure kids are ready for school. I am still taking my pain meds but not every 4 hours I am good to go longer maybe every 6 hours. For some reason when I go to the bathroom I never feel finished but does not feel like an infection so I hit the store I purchased Cranberry Juice, prunes (glad I actually like them) and Activa yogurt to keep my system up and running. Another thing I wished I knew was the clothes situation... I can't even wear my regular clothes due to swelling. I wished I purchased some of the cute sweat outfits you see everywhere. I did have 1 or 2 sets but will plan on going shopping to get maybe 2 more to get me though these early weeks.

Again all in all - not too bad, I am up and about and even drove to store which I did get Doctors OK to drive.

Day 9 - 11 Well swelling finally starting to go...

Day 9 - 11 Well swelling finally starting to go down but not near to normal yet, I have my second doctors visit this afternoon so I am hoping for a good report. The decision to get the Activia and Cranberry Juice was great so far my internal systems are back to normal with no problems. I am off my pain meds except at night so as to get more rest, first day to sleep through the night (still on my back) was on Day 9 and I feel so much better. I am totally standing straight up and even picked my kids up from their activities (wore one one of my sweat pant outfits - no one could tell).
Unlike some others - I like my abdominal binder it seem to help me keep more mobile as if it is holding me together.

I am so ready to wear my clothes - this swelling is one of the hardest parts to me.

Day 12/13 -1 day shy of 2 WEEKS - can't...

Day 12/13 -1 day shy of 2 WEEKS - can't believe it some days seemed to DRAG and other went quickly (if your like me you want them to go quickly - I am not a good patient)

Had my 2nd visit at doctors and all went good - he said the swelling is part of it and will go down but incision and belly looks great, he showed me my pictures again and WOW, even with the swelling I can tell how much I am going to LOVE THIS!! I can do a small bit of cardio (walking and such) but no real workout. I still have to wear my binder but he was OK with some spanxs if they were more comfortable ( I think when I go out, it will be the spanxs but at home I will continue with the binder)

I do not regret this, I had moments of quilt as far as spending this much on myself but I think the confidence this will bring will payoff for my family as well. I love being active (which is one reason I was a bad patient the 1st few days)and once I am over the hard part of recovery, I have no doubts this will make me even more happier to do sports, swimming, and overall physical activities with my children - no more hiding the stomach!

So glad you are doing so well! I follow your posts and I seem to be on a very similar track. I can read what you are doing and it seems I'm doing the same thing a day or two behind you! I've been living in pajamas/hubby's sweats since my clothes don't fit either. I took my first shower yesterday, day 6 and I was told I could drive after I quit taking pain pills, which I take only in the evening. Thanks for your updates!
46ky - glad all is going with you. It seems to make me feel so much better when I read other posts as well, it always helps to know others are going through what you are and doing just fine. I totally understand about the pjs and sweats..I am finally wearing some legging with some button up tops that are long which helps me hide the swelling but doesn't make me look like a marshmallow :)

3weeks out no more bandages! Scar is healing...

3weeks out no more bandages! Scar is healing nicely. I am working around house and up to 20 minutes on elliptical but I do have to hit the bed early still tire easily. I am working but have desk job so that is not too bad.
Did you just start working out on elliptical or have you been doing this? I haven't been cleared for any exercise yet, but I am ready to do a little something. So glad you are doing well!!
Dr said I can do some cardio, I have to admit 20 minutes Is about it . My goal is to add 10 minutes a week but so far 3 days a week for 20 min is it.
Thanks so much for all the updates.
Dr Ben Johnson

He took the time to answer my questions and alleviate any fears.