Nose Job #2 - a Success! - Beverly Hills, CA

I had my first rhinoplasty procedure in October of...

I had my first rhinoplasty procedure in October of 2010, by a very skilled surgeon in Beverly Hills. I'm of Mayan descent and always had a big nose. I can't remember not being self conscious about it since the age of 10. It spread pretty widely across my face when I smiled and of course I had a beak. The rest of my features are pretty delicate but having a big nose detracted from them. When the cast came off after surgery I was delighted with the results. But it lasted only a few hours. My nose swelled up... and never seemed to go back down. I know that your nose is supposed to swell, but this was quite abnormal. My surgeon was understanding and told me to be patient, that it would take time.

I tried to beat it down with Cortisone injections, taping, etc. But nothing worked. I had some medical problems at the time and my whole body was sometimes in a state of inflammation, so I wonder if that was a reason I didn't heal properly. I honestly don't believe it was the surgeon's fault. It was really depressing and in some ways my nose was even bigger that version 1.0 since a bunch of scar tissue developed. But my doctor promised me he would do right by me and fix it for free, so over two years later (I waited as long as possible for it to completely heal) I went in for version 3.0. I really believe in my surgeon and was confidant he would do exactly what I wanted. I had a clear cut idea, and I told him to be much more aggressive.
 He removed lots of scar tissue, reset bones, made it look very feminine and reduced the size of my nostrils, which changed my appearance dramatically. Now, to be honest, the first time around was very traumatic. I was expecting it to swell up again at any given moment. I went through the same trials and tribulations and still am), that EVERYONE seems to go through after a rhinoplasty. Patient I am NOT. But I had to learn to be much calmer this time around, much more positive and mentally strong. Reading other peoples' stories helps a ton too. I know that some days there's just going to be a lot more swelling than others, there are good nose days and WTF nose days. I am now going on 5 months post surgery and I still tape, even during the day. I think it helps me psychologically. Whatever I put in my body seems to affect my nose so I really have to watch salt intake, alcohol, stress... not a bad thing to reduce that stuff, right?!? I do still have weeks where I freak out if it swells up, but it's nothing compared to the first time around. I would call it "normal" swelling. But I am really looking forward to the end result. The pictures I posted are before version 1.0, after version 1.0 and just a couple of weeks ago, just around 4 months.

7 Months in...

I had my six month post-op several weeks ago and everything looks good. I am happy with the progression of the shape of my nose. The tip has finally dropped and it's not looking pointed up anymore and my nostrils are mostly symmetrical. There is still some swelling and I imagine it will slowly go down over the next several months. I will say I went to an allergist to get tested for all kinds of allergies and when he looked up my nose he saw allergy related swelling, as opposed to surgical swelling. I did two rounds of kenalog shots (in the hip) and it did help over all. My point is, if you have allergies or anything like that, get a handle on them before surgery because it can affect swelling like it did in my case. I am tempted to head up to LA to get a steroid shot IN the nose. Only Dr. Motykie can do that. It's still a bit more swollen than I would like at this point. I finally stopped wearing tape at six months. Dr. M. told me to "lose the crutches" and he was right. It was due time. I am really happy with the fact that I no longer feel self-conscious of my profile and I don't worry about a beak profile.

I am going to be really honest here. Sometimes I get clogged pores in my nose and before surgery would pick allll the time. It was very hard for me to avoid it at first, but I know from the first surgery, that the slightest irritation will cause swelling. So avoid it! For those of you who pick. Trust me. Even this far out, I started picking and ended up making my nose puff up a bit. Anyways, I meant to post pictures of some front shots. I'll get a few up as soon as I can.

nose atn7 months. frontal view

still swelling

I expect there to be continuous swelling for the next several months because I am a thick-skinned individual, and I was reminded that my nose is still healing and delicate yesterday when my boyfriend accidentally hit it! It really hurt, especially the tip. Be patient guys. It really does take a long time to heal.

One Year

Tomorrow is my official one year anniversary. I have been meaning to post pictures, but honestly don't have any up close nose shots. I am still slightly swollen -- Yes! Even after a year. In fact the last couple of months it's been a tad puffy, but when it reduces, I can see the final shape, and I am super happy. I have some sinus problems that are not surgery related, so that is what has made my nose swell more often these days. I promise to get some pictures up soon. Thank you for the posts!

1 year and almost three month post-op

Ok, here it is. I'm posting pics over a year in. It's not pretty people. I mean, I didn't take good pictures (no make up) because I'm trying get over my vanity. You might notice I have hyperpigmentation, all over my face (and newly on my nose), but oh well. Anyways, my year post-op. Just couldn't get up to see the doctor. I am very happy with the results so far. I say so far because even this far out, there's still swelling in there!! Can you believe it?!! No scar tissue. Dr. Motykie gave me three injections; one on the bridge and on each side of the tip. It's so small compared to my old nose and he said it will go down about another size. It's been such a long road, but I remember the first nose job settling in at two years. I have very thick skin and also chronic sinus problems, if you remember me saying, so there's always some added puffiness not related to the surgeries at all. My nostrils are almost symmetrical. Most days, they completely are. The outside of the nostrils (he removed lots of nostril) still swell up and down. The scars from the stitches took quite a while to heal up. In the close up side shot, you will notice. It looks better than it does in the pictures and the spots on my nose make it look odd. It's really nicely shaped. Both and bridge have a bit more to come down. When he stuck the needle through the skin, I could feel the swelling in there. I still massage it too. That helped me a lot. I love the side profile because I nice and straight and will eventually curve in a little more. It looks very natural on my face. My friend gave me the biggest compliment the other day. We were talking and she didn't know I'd had a revision. All of the sudden she said, "Oh my gosh, you have a perfect nose." It was really sweet. Sometimes, I still get impatient and want it to settle in finally, and then think how far I've come. : ) The criticism I do have is that even though most of the girls that work in the office are nice, it is a bit disorganized. I've experienced this with them quite a few times. I mean, I've been going up there since Fall of 2010. If they could just get that together... Dr. M. said that if I needed to come up in a couple of months for another shot, I could. It's already gone down from yesterday's. We'll see. Well guys, sorry it look so long for the shots. Best of luck to those of you still healing!

One more nostril pic

PS - This was taken a few weeks ago. Just illustrating how much they can still fluctuate, if you're person like me, that takes a long time to heal!
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

Very nice, VERY skilled, good listener. On the younger side as surgeons in the business go which makes him more progressive. His office staff is really nice, however they do seem a bit disorganized and I had issues with my credit card being double charged a couple of different times. They did correct the mistake of course. I would recommend him to anyone who is considering cosmetic surgery.

I have super thick, oily skin, too and am so worried about the scar tissue and swelling. I started early with anti-inflammatory supplements but I love to exercise and drink relatively often. What kind of progress should one with (our) skin type expect to see month to month? Visible changes? Internal swelling reduction? In other words, how do we know if we are warding off scar tissue?
I hear ya. Everybody is different and it depends on how far out you are. I chose to avoid heavy exercise and especially drinking during the first few months. I'm a moderate drinker anyway, but found it helped to stay away from anything that would cause an inflammatory response in my nose, even more so during the revision. I still see fluctuations in the width and tip and I'm a year and four months out. Depending on what was done to your nose, visible changes can be noticable or subtle, based on how far along you are. I just looked at pictures of myself from February when I had quite a bit of swelling and it looks so different than it does now, so it's hard to say exactlly how it will go for you. I had quite a bit done the second time around, so I'm not surprised there's still mild edema. If you develop scar tissue, you will know it. Some doctors do not recommend massaging, but I did a lot and still do. Personally I think it helps. I also wore strips for up to 6 months. My doctor was okay with it, but said don't let it become a cruch. I know that sometimes scar tissue develops, possibly because the surgeon was not skilled, but I can't explain other reasons. Just be in touch with how your nose is looking and feeling and if you start to notice something's not right, call your surgeon's office. Good luck~
Your revision looks good.
Thank you!
Your nose looks great! What a journey to get there... I'm on that journey now...I'm waiting to get a revision
Good luck! Be patient and thank you for the compliment!
You look great! Congratulations!
: ) Thanks!
If you have a smart phone it would only take a quick second to do a selfie!
My god i love your nose, wish mine Will be like that! Amazing...
Thanks for the update so glad to hear you're going well! Look forward to seeing more pics when you get a chance. All the best:)
It looks great.. Do you have anymore updated pictures. I'm consulting with Dr Motykie in a month.
I would love to see updated close ups too! Your results are pretty amazing.
You look gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing, i'd love to see more pics when you get a chance :)
Nice yo hear all progressing well. Looking foward to see updated picts. Thanks and enjoy ur beautiul nose.
How is your nose healing ?
u look so beautiful.. i am thinking to have ma rhino wiz ur dr,,but i am soo afraid,,its gonna be my third surgery and i cannt stand having a surgery wiz bad results... also i will come 2 US specially for this so if the results wasnt good i cannt keep in touch wiz the dr.... can u plz tell me y ur first surgery give u such results.and if itsnt the surgeon fault so where is the problem .. thanksss
Thanks everyone, for all of the compliments. It's nice to hear. I am on this site (never done anything like this before) because of all of the other posters that have helped me get through the tough times! I will be posting a couple of frontal pics soon. Still not a big fan of the camera.
SORRY I FORGET TO ASK YOU AFERT HOW LONG IS A REVISION SUGGESTED?THANK YOU
Because I have thick skin, I waited 2 years and two months before revision surgery. Sorry to hear that you don't have the desired results. It does take such a long time to see the final nose you're going to have. Hang in there.
YOU LOOK WONDERFUL LUCKY YOU!!! I'M RECOVERING FROM THE OP I'D 4 MOUNTHS AGO AND THE RESULTS ARE VARY BAD. iV'E GOT VERY BIG NOSTRILS. tHE PROFILE IS VERY NICE BUT MAYBE NOW IT'S TOO SHORT. YOURS IS PERFECT! WELL DONE!!
wow! your 3.0 is reeeeealy looking nice! congrats. I'm preparing for my first (hopefully last) nose procedure now. My goodness its confusing! I have been on more consults than I probably should have gon on and think I have a doc selected but the information I get is just so conflicting! anyhow... your looking great, very feminine but still you, keep posting.
It's really good to consult... I say go with your gut instinct. Even though my first surgery was not successful, I still went back to the same surgeon because I know he is so skilled and would fix it. Good luck!
You look beautiful.
Oh, your nose looks beautiful. It really compliments your features which are, as you noted, delicate. It's going to look even better over time. It's wonderful hearing of success stories like yours.