Dr. Kotler's Chemical Peel -Beverly Hills, CA

I’m 65, long time swimmer, daily exerciser, and...

I’m 65, long time swimmer, daily exerciser, and shameful sun lover, and with lots of fine wrinkles & deep creases on the forehead and around the mouth. I looked older than how I feel and wanted a look of “freshness”. I was scheduled for a face lift elsewhere when I decided to consult Doctor Kotler. His recommendation was a chemical peel would be more effective to achieve my desired result and his assistant Annette was able to show me how it would change my face that first appointment.

I was anxious only to get going and my biggest concern was when could I get back to work and back in the pool. The surgery was totally painless, no discomfort., not even the IV insertion.. Yes, I did look like a pumpkin face for a few days because of the swelling, and I did not want to be seen, but otherwise – no problem.

Two nights at the after care center were very comfortable and they took me to and from my post op appointments.

The most annoying effect is the itching that occurs as the skin heals and begins to peel. The necessary ointment is messy, but it just means changing the pillowslip every morning for a couple of weeks.

The results are outstanding and there is a big bonus – my eyes. The upper and lower lids are tighter – not a pulled look, though, just bright. My skin is beautifully smooth. The creases & lines around my mouth and upper lip are gone, as are the creases at the corner of the eyes. Another bonus is that Dr. Kotler applied a bit of the chemical peel to the ear lobes and they are happily perky and plumper now.

At two weeks, except for the redness and some slight peeling, no one would know. Looks like I was in the sun. With makeup, I was out to a dinner-dance. I also returned to swimming – in the dark or indoors, no sun.

At one month, with make-up, I returned to work. I did find it necessary to reapply the moisturizer during the day. Air conditioning is very drying.

At two months, nearly all the redness is gone. Had I been able to tolerate the cortisone cream , it would have been gone sooner. There remains some tightness around the mouth as the chemical was concentrated there, but the look is fantastic.

At four months, the improvement is remarkable, the skin feels soft and relaxed. I can see the question on my friends’ faces, those that do not know I had a peel. Something is different, looks better, but they aren’t sure what happened, “you look so bright and well rested!”

The office staff are wonderfully available and pleasant. Mary, Dola, Annette are there for your comfort and additional explanations. Dr. Kotler spends an extraordinary amount of time at each preoperative and post operative visit discussing the procedure, reviewing pre and post operative pictures, addressing any concerns.
Thank you for posting a very detailed review - with updates at each stage. I suffer from quite deep lines around my mouth and eyes and would be very interested in knowing what kind of chemical peel was used. Can't really visit this particular doctor as I live in London. Also can you tell me if you had to be knocked out for the peel and if you had any other procedure at the same time? thanks again for a great review.
Unfortunately, I do not know the type of chemical, but I can find out or your can email Dr. Kotler. I imagine he has colleagues in London to whom he might refer you. Yes, I was given general anesthesia and had a breathing tube down the throat for the duration of the procedure which was about an hour. So a physical and electrocardiogram were done pre-operatively. I did not have any other procedure done. Dr. Kotler had me take antiviral medications starting a day before and for several days after surgery; oral and topical antibiotics for a week post op. Chemical peels can trigger an outbreak of cold sores and of course, with the skin essentially burned, the antibiotics are necessary. Oral analgesics were provided for a couple of days post operatively, too. I had very little discomfort except for the itching which was treated with oral antihistamines.
Thank you sooo much for all that information - so kind of you. If I emailed him would he know by the name you use here? thanks
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon