Tubular/constricted Breasts: Revision with a Breast Augmentation and Lift: Kayla's Story - Bavaria, Germany

My family and I live in Germany, due to the...

My family and I live in Germany, due to the military. So finding a good doctor was my #1 priority. I had known since puberty that my breasts were different. I had asked my OBGYN and midwife as to why i couldnt fully breastfeed my daughter.. and they didnt see a problem. I was always self consious with my husband. and it wasnt fair to either of us. I researched my tubular shaped breasts online and found the answer! I continued, hoping to have normal, pretty, even breasts! After going through many doctors and getting referalls to be seen here in germany, I was given a doctors name who specializes in breast surgeries, but apon my consult,i found he had never done a revision of tubular breast's.

The answers to my questions were what i wanted to hear, He wanted to place two implants under the muscle, and then reduce the size of my areola's while lifting them. also he wanted to put in a permanant purse string suture, to prevent my areolas from expanding after surgery. I was excited! The one thing I thought he should do was release the tight muscle/tissue that was causing my tubularbreast deformity, but unfortunatly, our langauge barrier gave me the wrong idea. and i dont think he knew to do that. And only after my surgery, i could still visibly see the tight infamammory fold.

The breast implants I have are textured silicone, with 380cc in my right and 420cc in my left. before surgery, i was B cup in my right, and an A cup in my left. (HUGE DIFFERENCE) So now, i am a good C -sometimes-D cup. But for my height (5'7") and weight(165lbs)-they match my body type pretty well. I was in surgery for about 2-3 hours, and they put drains in both breasts to keep the fluid out. (THE WORST PAIN!) On the second day after surgery, I was able to see my boobs, and the drains were removed. My first reaction was, "my areolas look like they are going to die, like they werent attatched to me anymore!" but i LOVED the volume of them and i hoped my impants would drop down and fill out in the bottom. I had bruising HORRIBLY because the doctor said he had to do alot of "stretching." Which another outcome to that -is, I still ( 5 months after surgery) have NO feeling in my areola's or on the left side of my left breast. I dont expect to ever get feeling back in my nipples, but that is a risk i took. :( I stayed in the hospital for 6 days! They do things differently here, and i appriciated the care and attention they gave me.

I was wrapped tight, to keep the implants from healing too high in my pectorals. I was given 800mg's of ibeprophen, and sent home with a post op app for 2 weeks out. I had made 2 extra post op appointments, because #1- about 4 weeks after surgery, i hadnt heard of anyoone still having open wounds! but i did! and they kept forming! i didnt know how or why, because i was very gentle with myself, i made sure to keep them dry in the shower, and cleaned! Then my surgeon gave me wet gauze to layer on them to help the skin heal. It took about two weeks for my wounds to scab over and finally heal. then, #2--about 7-8 weeks after surgery, about 1-2 weeks after being "healed of all wounds" I started to get tiny wounds! then I saw a SUTURE, coming out of the sore area! I made another emergency app with my doctor. When i got there, I had to point out to him the clear stiches that were being rejected from my body! I was scared they were the purse string that he had left in there permanatly, and it was coming out! He told me they were the dissolvable stiches that hadnt dissolved, and then he pulled them out with tweezers.. that hurt a little bit. I was shocked because, to me, it meant my body was trying to heal around the dissolvable stiches, so it wasnt dissolving them, which caused ALL of those wounds! which now, has lead to HORRIBLE scaring around my areola's!

Thus far, i have had a pretty bad time healing. and a less than satisfied result because of it. it has been almost 6 months since my surgery, I still have a tid bit of constriction of my left breast. my right breast is very droopy/saggy compared, and my areolas look very large and scared because of the expansion and scaring. my implants are PERFECT sized,and they are in a good position. Last week i went and saw my doctor, he wants to go back in in 6 months, see how my scars have lightened.. and he said, if they are "white" we will take the scars away so new skin can form. he doesnt agree with how uneven my breasts look side by side, along with my greevences, and wants to re-lift both areolas. but the one thing i am really unsure of, is he wants to do a lolipop scar. I was so happy i only have scaring around my areolas! Now- i will have a large line down my boob? I understand if it is nessisary.. but my question is, couldn't re go back around the areala and take more skin off to tighten it?

I would go see another doctor to get their advice, and i plan on figuring out how, because dealing with the military, and my insurance paying for it, it is sort of their call who does my surgery. I like my doctor, but I would prefer a surgeon who has delt with my case before. My doctor said, this next time, He wouldnt use the same dissolvable stitches, but he would have to manually take them out :/ OWCH!! but if that will help prevent from further scaring, i will deal with the pain! Other than that, my breasts are doing great! i have some twinges of pain here and there, and i work out about 3 times a week! i try to take care of myself and eat healthy.

You need to change your plastic surgeon! Get advice from different plastic surgeons that have good track records and experience with your type of case. Open wounds like that are not normal and I am pretty sure it can be potentially dangerous. Good Luck!
Wow, fortunately I don't have any invaders, haha... But I deleted all my pictures anyway just to be safe. It would be terribly awkward if anyone ever found them, even by accident.

Hmm, by plaster I mean 'Micropore tape' (it probably has a different name in your country... where are you from, anyway?). It's just a whitish tape that you put over your scars to give them extra support and prevent them from stretching. I have to wear it for 6 to 9 months, until the scar is healed completely. My friend who got the BA also had to put the same tape on her incision. Makes sense to me... maybe look into it?

Sounds like you've had a lot done. My op was on the 22nd of December, so basically at the same time! Glad you're happy with your results so far. Would love to see pics as well. I'll post mine later in the week! Yayee!
Hey Luthien, good you don't have invaders as it's such a headache...one of my invaders was over last night (my ex) and it stresses me when he touches my computer...lol...guys under 30 can't be trusted...actually if they're over 30 they probably can't be trusted either cause they're guys.
It's called micropore, or "paper tape" here in Canada too. I've heard of people using tape on the incision lines online, and now I hear about you and your friend, but I've never heard of people doing it here in Canada...I was alternating pure sea buckthorn oil and emu oil on my incision lines and also once daily silicon gel...I can tell you that my incision lines are so thin it's like it was on the day of surgery. I had done a ton of research and I wonder if the oils moisturize the incision line and the surrounding skin so there isn't any pulling and expansion???...don't know...anyone who sees my incisions can't believe just how fine and thin they are. For a few days I used a topical antibiotic cream thinking this would prevent infection due to my innability to absorb the absorbable stitches, but wound up having an allergic reaction to one of the 3 antibiotics in the cream I bought and I had to take much benadryl to stop the inflammation so I would warn others about using those kinds of antibiotic creams...now I just keep to the oils and silicon and the results are perfect...if it keeps up like this, you probably aren't going to see a scar on my body.
Also remember to take vitamin C (I take 1000mg/day), a good multivitamin, and some coenzyme Q10, and also take a another good antioxident like grape seed extract, etc.
Take care.
Yes I had a lot of stuff done and decided to have it done all at once for better or for worse...I look good now. and I'm so happy. Keep me posted on you.
Hey Cor, my review with photos just got published. Strange seeing myself naked on the internet--how embarrassing! But go and have a look and let me know what you think. PLEASE be brutally honest and let me know if you think I should consider revision. Here's the link: http://www.realself.com/review/cape-town-south-africa-breast-lift-benelli-mastopexy-for-tuberous-breasts-without-ba?utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=RevApp&utm_content=review_url
Hey Luthien, you mention the BA with breast lift and repair having more problems with stretching of the areola and that makes sense because skin stretches. My surgeon actually refused (I was surprised) to do implants at the same time. He told me if I later wanted to go larger he would only do it in a two step process and would give me a good discount on this second procedure. I had the lollipop incision (because my breasts were uneven and the skin was loose from stretch marks) and with that procedure my surgeon was able to remove most of the stretch marks and adjust the differences in the sizes of each of my breasts better, so if I add implants later my breasts just might look even better...I'm considering it, but think I look pretty good now (I'm between a B and a C cup) and I'm perky and can go braless for the first time in so many years and I just love it...just waiting for the breasts to totally heal and the incision lines to lighten before making the final decision.
Don't do it, I say! B/C cup is perfect in my opinion. Better than artificial-looking lumps protruding out of your chest. And it'll be a huge nuisance to have to replace them in years to come. I dunno, that's just my opinion. I think people are too quick to opt for a BA when they actually are more than fine as they are naturally. :)
LOL, I loved your responce. I had acually hoped I would wind up a bit larger when everything was out back up where it was supposed to be pre-pregnancy...a couple of my friends have BA and they really like it but then again they were A's and small B's to begin with. One of my GF's went a little too large and it's a bit of a problem for her as she's also a nurse and in our profession, looking like that makes other's not take her too seriously...she told me she is going to hurt her back as she tries to hunch forward, especially in job interviews, so she doesn't look so big. I have to tell you that it's the first thing you see when she enters the room. As I've mentioned, I can't be other than happy with my breasts when I compare them to what they used to look like....they are not perfect...slight areola difference but now I understand that we are our worst critics and no one else would probably see any difference. I remembered one of the super models talking about how she didn't like the slight difference in the curve of her smile...OMG, if I looked like her I wouldn't have any reason to complain, and I couldn't see any problem with her smile to begin with. You are right about implant replacements and I had forgotten about that...always a potential problem.
How's the healing process going?
Haha, I'm glad! Yeah, I had a friend who basically never started developing breasts when she hit puberty; her chest looked like a young boy's. So when she got a BA at 19 it was totally understandable in my opinion, and she's much happier now with her B/C cup. We definitely are too hard on ourselves I think. I am starting to accept my breasts, even though they're not as perfect as I had envisioned. But I keep reminding myself what they looked like before, and then it's difficult to complain. I think half the problem is actually that one forgets how bad things looked before the op, so it becomes tricky to judge. At least, I feel that way. I don't even have photos of what they looked like before the op. Having such a low self-esteem for such a long time is also unhelpful, so when the slightest imperfection is perceivable it blows up into something much larger than necessary in relation to reality. I'm learning to accept them again slowly and feel less panicky than before. It's really not so bad, and certainly hasn't crossed over the 'unacceptable' line... to someone else, I'm sure they'd look like totally normal breasts. Maybe I'll post some pics next week when I change the plaster again and then you can tell me what you think? (So strange that nudity suddenly becomes so normal on sites like these, haha). How's your healing process going?
I agree 100%. I don't have any pictures of me before either...it's just in my memory now. All I know is that they were bad. I probably just felt they would be so perfect afterwards and I would have liked to forget the past.
I would post pictures but I'm afraid as I have two friends who invade my privacy and have access to my computer and one is a computer wiz and the other is an ex cop and the two of them are friends too...both are fun nice guys with the exception I want to tell them to grow up.. They tell me that they have invaded other's privacy but say they haven't done that to me but that's highly unlikely...once an invader always an invader...lol. All I would need is for them to get access to pics and if we stopped being friends or something like that. One of them had recorded our conversation on the phone a while back...later his father called him after he sold the phone to his father and our conversation was still there and he teased his son about it...I was upset and so he told me it was an accident and he must have pushed the record button accidently...I do not believe it.

What do you mean by plaster? I have never had any dressings on my breasts and I think we are the same amount of weeks? I had my surgery Dec 20th. I'm healing well now...still a few stitches are at the top of the surface on all the incision lines because my body rejects them, but my surgeon doesn't want to touch them and make "holes"...I don't want him to make holes either...lol. My tummy tuck incision is still slightly pinkish, but he did a perfect job there and I have a flat stomach now which of course makes my breasts look a bit bigger too...yay! I also have incision lines beside my breasts from the removal of skin and fat there too...that's where mostly disolvable stitches were placed so that incision line has some bumps in it but overall these are decreasing as my surgeon said they will take a few more months to flatten. My new belly button is pretty cute. I have to tell you that I look pretty good from the front...it's a nice package deal. I had lipo all over my abdomen and on my hips...still have some slight numbness to my right hip, and a bit of decreased sensation to the breasts (just areola) and abdomen areas but that is also lessening so I expect the nerves are now growing back so expect all the feeling to return...fingers are crossed on that one.
Would love to see your pics so I can tell you how good you look...but only if you don't have invaders...lol. I think I will post my tummy tuck pics as soon as I get a moment, but I have to hold back on my breast ones...lol.
Thank you for posting your story here.
I have tuberous breasts too, as well as had issues with breast feeding. I'm seriously considering a lift and implants. I also have large areolas. Are you saying that it's not uncommon for areolas to enlarge again after surgery?
Yup. I wish someone had told me that before I had the surgery. Then I'd at least be prepared. I suggest looking through as many forums on this site as possible. Loads deal with areolas stretching out again, particularly with the Benelli lift. And if you're going to be getting a BA as well, it's pretty much guaranteed. Don't do both at the same time. But it all depends on the degree of severity, nothing is ever guaranteed and predictable with these things. All I know is that the lollipop lift is more likely to be successful in the long run, but then you'll have to settle for more severe scarring. I know, having tuberous breasts really is a pain. Good luck!
Thank you for posting your story here.
Luthien, after surgery your areolas are going to flatten a bit as the scar area softens, and the inflammation decreases, and this is the time that you are going to see it the most being 2 months post-op as the biggest part of the softening and inflammation has just happened. You are probably also going to notice differences in each breast as the body is healing each side slightly differently. Your breasts are also going to relax a bit too as the inflammation and swelling decreases and the tissues relax, but you want softer relaxed normal looking breasts and not bullets sticking out looking unnatural...well at least I want natural...lol.
I also just now recently notice the slight differences in shape of my breast and areola areas and this is just recent for me too and I am 2 months like you post-op for my breasts. I realise only now that my breasts were probably considered tulular before the surgery. Anyways, give it time from everything I've read as the worst is just about finished and there will be a lot less of the drooping/softening in the future but know there will still probably be a slight bit more. Also wear a supportive bra without underwire in it. Human breasts are never perfect, there are always slight differences in each normally.
Cor, I found that helpful and encouraging. Thank you! I changed the plaster on my breasts again recently after posting this, and actually didn't feel half as hopeless as I did when I first noticed the changes. They certainly do look more natural now, that's for sure. I think maybe I've become too focused on absolute perfection due to having such a low self-esteem in that area for such a long time. They actually look quite nice now. What surgery did you have done exactly? Thanks again, and all the best!
Ah, nevermind, I didn't realise the long post above was from you too, Cor. :)
I'm glad you're feeling better about your breasts...I understand the self esteem issues...since I'm now divorced, it was becoming more of an issue for me as I look for another relationship. I'm 11 weeks since the surgery, and after a bumpy recovery I'm on the way to complete healing and so happy I've had this all done. It's going to take some time for the incision lines to lighten but they already are. Definitely there are slight differences in each breast, but for me that's ok as they're so much better than they used to be and they look natural.
Hi Kayla! I live in South Africa but am German and my family comes from Bavaria originally. Another thing we have in common is that I also realised very soon into puberty that something was 'wrong' with me, and after researching last year, finally realised that I had tuberous breasts. I finally decided to have a circum-arealoar lift/reduction in December WITHOUT breast implants(so I'm now 2 months post-op). I was so happy to begin with, and although my areolas also looked like they were falling off, everything healed really well, and my scars are narrow and already going white. However, in the last three weeks, I've noticed that my arealoas themselves are stretching out again, and my breasts in general are looking slightly droopy. I'm so scared that it's going to get worse, and I'll end up where I started again. Did you end up going back for another surgery? How much have your areolas stretched since you first had the op? Just looking for advice as I feel a bit hopeless... I really hope that it all works out for you. I really, REALLY know how awful it feels to be so ashamed of your most womanly features. All the best.
Good luck
Kayla, I'm in agreement with you having a second and maybe even a third opinion on what happened and what you should do next...later you may only need CO2 laser for scars and skin renewal if all else is ok?...check into this,as I've had the CO2 done for acne scars on my face and loved the result. I have also just had a tummy tuck, breast lift, extensive lipo, and skin removed beside my arm area 6 weeks ago, so it was pretty extensive surgery...I'm not a plastic surgeon, but I would wonder if the lolipop incision (which I had) wouldn't have been the correct procedure to round out your tubular breasts and give less pull on the nipple area as well as you went larger sized? Lollipop scars pretty much dissapear in time, and it will not hurt to have nipple sutures removed if you have this procedure done later.
I've also had difficulties with suture reaction and them spitting as my body was also not absorbing the disolvable stitches correctly (this is quite common actually), yet I am not having the same all 'over the breast' possible allergic reaction/inflammatory responce as you appear to have had....reactions to the dissolvable stitches are mostly where the knots are tied from anything I've read on the topic and it was so with me too. From your pics and story, that was a far from a normal responce and I would think that it should be more localized to the stitch (knot) area if it was just the stitches...are you sure you weren't having a reaction to the implants/silicone which would create such an inflammatory responce that would also make your body finally reject all the stitches in the end? I don't know, but maybe you were possibly having an allergic responce requiring antihistamines and other treatment or you were possibly having a bad infection requiring antibiotics? Some dissolvable stitches also contain an antibiotic and you may be allergic to that so it might be a good idea to find out what stitches were used and research them too, but as I said earlier, I wouldn't think the large inflammatory reaction you had was due to the stitches alone but that needs to be figured out...you may also be having more than one problem going on here.
I am taking oral antibiotics proactive (to prevent) and I have used a lot of benadryl (antihistamine) and also ranitadine (zantac) which is used for the stomach inflammatory responces but it also works systemically so also helps with the inflammatory responces elsewhere in the body, all recommended by the physician friends I work with. For two reasons I used the benadryl/ranitidine for the inflammatory responce I was having to the stitches and also because I had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic cream I had been using over the wounds but the inflammation responce was local to where the cream was applied and went away a few days after I stopped using the cream and used the antihistamines. I have been going weekly to have the offending spitted (raised) stitches removed (including one of the circular long ones around the nipple that it sounds like you had removed too) and now I'm healing perfectly...scars look good and I have feeling in my nipples and in every other area of my breasts.
You need to figure out what is/was going on, or the responce might continue or start all over again with any further surgeries. I see that you are happy with the implants, so this may make you less dissatisfied with everything else which may make you proceed with further treatment and cause yourself more harm...I would not be happy with any aspect of what you've had happen, but don't lose hope as there is lots that can be done to fix things. I would not do anything further until you get another opinion as that's crazy that you didn't get the revision that should have been done on your tubular breasts, and the numbness in so many areas is obviously from the inflammatory responce/scar tissue that was created afterwards or the nerves may even have been cut incorrectly???...you need to figure this all out. I also see the difference in the droop of the breasts from your pics so I can't understand how the PS you see can't see it. Did you check out this surgeon's credentials beforehand? My girlfriend recommended a surgeon to me and said he did an amazing job for her but after checking his credentials and patient reviews of the doctors (posted on-line in North america) I realized she was lucky she got a good job as he often botched others...I told her to quit recommending him and she has.
I wish you luck as no one should have to go through this kind of pain...you needed this surgery for your self esteem.
And many doctors won't want to see another physician's patient and especially if there are problems they may have to deal with or possible upcoming liabilities, so you may have trouble finding someone in a second opinion who won't just refer you back to your original guy. If it were me, I'd see if I could find a good female PS who would have maybe a bit more sympathy for my plight. You may also want to wait for quite a bit longer to have anything done as you will also want to ensure all the inflammation from the first surgery is not active. You may need to put out more $'s, but well worth it when it comes to your body and self esteem.
Good luck and keep us posted.

First of all, thank you for posting your story here on RealSelf. Secondly, I'm sorry you've had to go through this pain and have had such a hard time healing. You should seriously consider consulting with another doctor or two and getting their opinions on what's going on and what kind of revision can be done.

Please keep us posted.