S-GAP Breast Reconstruction - Baltimore, MD

From my first consult with Dr. R, he explained the...

From my first consult with Dr. R, he explained the options in breast reconstruction to me- clearly and comprehensively. I knew when I left the office after my first appointment, that the S-GAP procedure was the one for me. Each step of my preparation was set out for me and I was guided along.

The surgery itself is incredibly complex and it took time to schedule- and though that can be frustrating as you feel like you want to just get it done- the path the Breast Reconstruction Team lays out is done for optimal success. And I can say now- that Success is what I have!! Dr. R and his Reconstruction Team supported my choice, continued to provide education, information and support to me and my family throughout my hospitalization and my recovery process. I was happy the minute I woke up from surgery! I knew that I had made the right choice for me- and Dr. R was instrumental in the decision making process.

Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

Dr. R, Johns Hopkins Hospital, was exceptional in every way. Surgically – I have been nothing but thrilled with all aspects of my process. Beginning with my initial consult, the bilateral mastectomies, the optimal care of my expanders, and now my reconstruction surgery, I have been so emotionally strong and well through the entire experience. But more than that, Dr. R has been the utmost in professional, courteous and kind to every one of my family and friends. My two teenage sons and my husband, and my “Team of Advocates” who marched through this process at my side, were always welcome to voice their concerns or anxieties. Dr. R was ALWAYS accessible and responsive to my “teams” needs. It doesn’t get much better than that.

My wife had S-GAP reconstruction at Hopkins and almost died. Dr. left to go to a conference a day after surgery, leaving her in the care of some residents who were a tad confused (told her to sit up straight to take the stress off her abdominal incisions...hey dimwits; with SGAP the incisions are on your rear end!). At home she developed a fever, and was in extreme pain, and it was impossible to call and talk to a "real person" at Hopkins. Leave a voicemail and hope they get back to you in a few hours. She developed sepsis, and ended up in the local hospital for a week. All local MDs faxed lots of info to Hopkins. When we went for follow-up at Hopkins Dr swore he never received a single thing. Which is more likely: that 7 different physicians and offices are all lying about faxing things to Hopkins, or that the people at Hopkins are utterly incompetent or dishonest regarding receiving them. Let's leave aside the fact that when we asked for copies of her records they took 3 weeks to send, and were apparently falsified when we received them. Hopkins may be a cutting edge research school, but in terms of patient care I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemies.

I'm so glad your S-GAP reconstruction went well, and that procedure was the right one for you. It sounds like you were working with a great team.

For anyone looking into what the different options are, the Q&A section has many answers, and you can ask your specific question to the doctors who volunteer on RealSelf.