Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy - Baltimore, MD

I was diagnosed with beast cancer in March 2012. ...

I was diagnosed with beast cancer in March 2012. My diagnosis led to a tratment plan of needing a mastectomy. My journey to find the best plastic surgeon for reconstruction of my breast led me to Dr. Rad. He performed a DIEP flap breast reconstruction follwing my mastectomy. I chose this technique because only skin and fat tissue are used to reconstruct the breast with no muscle being taken from the abdomen and no need of implants. I was very fortunate to also be a candidate for a nipple spearing mastectomy. When I first saw my new breast after surgery, it was BEAUTIFUL!

Thank you for sharing your story on RealSelf. I'm happy to hear you like your results. It's also nice that you had gentle and respectful surgeon during this difficult time. How long was your reconstruction process? Do you know how many cc's you ultimately ended up with? And did you have any work done on your other breast? Congratulations for conquering the cancer!

Hi BethH, The second part of the reconstruction was delayed for a year due to also needing a total hysterectomy. I just completed the second part of the reconstruction last week (Sept 10th) which included fat graphing of the right reconstructed breast for more fullness and a breast lift of the left breast to match its new perky sister:). I am still recovering and swollen but they look awesome. No bra needed. I may post some pics once I am all healed. Due to my own abdominal fat and tissue to create the new breast, I do not know how many cc's that would be equivalent to. Hope this helps. Thanks for the encouragement!

Oh that must have been tough having the mastectomy in the middle of your already challenging enough journey! I'm so glad you were able to recently finish the reconstruction. Good news on the lift so they match. And hooray for no bra! Looking forward to your photos. Happy healing!

Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Rad made such a difficult and challenging time easier to get through. He is not only a skilled and knowlegeable surgeon, but empathetic, gentle, focused when he is in the room with you and respectful. These are all key attributes I look for when choosing a provider but it is rear when they are all met.