Smartlipo/Vaser - Knees, Inner/outer Thighs, Banana Rolls, Flank

I am 38 yo, 4' 11" and 103lbs. I work out...

I am 38 yo, 4' 11" and 103lbs. I work out regularly and am in good shape. I had a tummy tuck in 2003 after the birth of my second child. I've always had large legs that I've been unhappy with so that's why I wanted the smartlipo on my legs. The back fat I have seems to be since my tummy tuck the fat accumulated there after I gained some weight. My problem is mostly that my pants fit in the waist and are too snug in the thigh area. I just had smartlipo and vaser lipo on my knees, inner/outer thighs, banana rolls and flank yesterday (4-23-10).

So far my experience has been great! I followed pre-op instructions, laid off caffeine, alcohol for week prior. Started taking arnica montana a week prior and antibiotics day before procedure. When I went in they gave me a halcyon (sp?) that they said would make me forget the procedure, but it didn't. I remember everything, which was fine with me. I even watched the fat being sucked out. The worst part were the shots that numbed the areas the doc was going to cut. I had a few moments were I felt pain the doc said those were on the edge of where the anesthesia was administered and he would either add more fluid or lay off that spot. Really I felt hardly any pain just uncomfortable.

After the procedure I was still pretty sleepy, getting the compression garment on was not easy but not uncomfortable either. I got home and immediately changed the pads on my wounds b/c they were soaked. There was still no pain at this time. Getting the compression garment on was not too difficult either. I was in and out of sleep all night not because of pain but b/c of the narcotic I took (hydrocodone). I didn't think I needed it, but my fiance kept telling me I would so to take one.

Well, its Day 2 and I am virtually pain free and not taking anything, not even tylenol. I still haven't taken a shower yet, but I'm not anticipating a problem since I've had 2 c-sections and a tummy tuck and this was a piece of cake compared to those surgeries. I'm still on the arnica montana and taking antibiotics.

The reason for my indecision is that I'm not sure of the results yet. I have feeling in all the parts done so that's a good thing but from all I have read, it will take a while to see the real result. I am worried about having extra skin since I used to be heavy (160lbs, 5 years ago) and my skin had stretched quit a bit. I don't want my legs to look worse than they already did. I'm really hoping I didn't make a mistake but I guess I will have to wait and see. I will post photos soon...stay tuned.

Update: Day 3 - pain is worse than on day 1,...

Update: Day 5 -- Feeling much better today....

Update: Day 5 -- Feeling much better today.  I am lucky I am able to work from home this week because I don't know how I'd sit at a desk all day long.  It's definitely a more difficult recovery than expected but maybe because I had so many areas done.  I think if I just had one area it would be a different story.  I have 10 incisions, and 2 of them are still leaking.  It's still bright pink and they are definitely not infected.  I guess the more you get out of your body the better.  I tried on my jeans today, not so easy :(  I noticed a difference in my flank, my roll was not hanging over the top!  Yeah!  I didn't notice a different fit in the thigh area but that may be due to swelling.  My flank is definitely still swollen so I think I'll go down even more there.  I can definitely see a difference in the pictures although it's not completely obvious.  I really didn't need much, I just wanted my pants to fit better.  Everything that fit me in the waist was too small in the thigh and everything that fit in the thigh was too big in the waist.  Oh, I highly recommend arnica montana pellets and cream, I think it's helping me tremendously.  I ran out yesterday morning and was feeling pretty bad.  After I got more and started using it, I felt much better.  Maybe it's all in my head, but whatever works, right?  This compression garment is going to get pretty old fast.  I am so sick of wearing it and can't find any clothes that can hide it.  I live in a hot area of the country and it's going to be 90 this week, shorts are out since the garment is a capris.  I don't have dresses that go down to my ankles and I feel like a stuffed sausage in my pants...even my "fat" pants.  Only 3 weeks, 2 days of it left...I'll keep you posted.

Dr. Thomas Martens

Nice clinic, friendly staff. Will see if I truly recommend after I see final results...jury is still out. I will post his name once I see what happens.

Hi! I'm having my lower abdomen done in 3 weeks and was interested in your story since you are from Austin too! Its been a few months now and I'm wondering how you feel about your results. My biggest concern is sagging skin. Also which clinic did you go to? I will be doing mine at Sonobello and I'm trying to find people who have had experiences with them specifically, but haven't had much luck! Best wishes!
I would love to see your pictures....as I have also had a tummy tuck and am going in for a follow up with some smart lipo on Thursday. I had a mini TT done and till have some loose skin around my belly button. However since he (my surgeon) is going to be in there poking around already.....I'm gonna have him take some off the love handles and the bra fat as well. I am getting a bit nervous, but really didn't experience any pain with the tummy tuck or having my 3 kids. I'm guessing I have quite a high tolerance....but it doesn't help my anxiety any less. I don't think I can be awake during the process so I am opting for the twilight sleep. Just wake me up when i am skinny!!!! :) Again, I would love to see some pictures when you get a chance.
I'm glad to hear you are doing well. I go in on Thursday for my smartlipo which is a follow up type of thing for the mini tummy tuck that I had last year. Having three kids sure wrecks havic on your belly!!! I love my tummy tuck, but because it was a mini I still have a bit of loose skin around my belly button that I wanted to get taken care of. My surgeon said that smart lipo would take care of that perfectly....so while he is poking around in there anyway he is going to do my sides and bra fat as well. One of my concerns was the loose skin thing as well....so please let me know what your doctor says about that. Also.....I am glad to hear that the pain was not bad. I am a photographer and have a few sessions booked about 5 days after the procedure. I didn't experience any pain with the tummy tuck or even having my 3 children, so I believe I must have a fairly high tolerance. I normally just need a tylenol to take care of it and then I am fine. He is putting me under a twilight sleep though. I don't think I could relax enough to go at this awake!!
Hi Hansen! Good luck on Thursday...you'll have to let me know how it goes. Having kids certainly does do a number on your tummy. I have some loose skin around my belly too, maybe if this goes well, I'll fix that next time :) My doctor seems to think this will really help the loose skin but he said it takes up to 6 months for the 'full' effect. Today I'm 4.5 days out, finished around 5 PM on Friday with procedure and it's Tuesday afternoon now. I feel like a turned a corner today. Feeling much better, you'll be fine for your appointments, I think. My doctor wanted me awake for the procedure and I'm glad I was, there were times when he was going a little too aggressive and I was able to tell him and he could lay off. If you are almost completely asleep and they just have at it, you may be in more pain afterward, just my opinion. It's not bad, I even watched the fat being sucked into the jar...it was kind of cool. Just be aware that the first day you are going to feel great, maybe day 2 as well, then it will hit you. All the fluid that is draining out of you is still anesthetizing the parts that were done. As more of it drains, the more you start to feel. I need to take some more after photos and then I will post. You may think my before pics look really good and I'm crazy but he said he took out a lot more fat than he thought he would. I can definitely see a difference in person, but the pictures aren't showing much. Again, best of luck! Keep me posted.
thanks for replying.....I know it shows that I posted twice, but I didn't see on here where my post went :) I'm starting to feel a little better about things. I think you are right with how I will feel on day 1 & 2 verses day 3 & 4. I seem to remember that with my other surgery. I will let you know how everything goes. Get this....I am a photographer and my little point and shoot camera just broke so now all I have is my large SLR camera that I can't really take pictures of myself. My husband isn't really keen on me doing this.....not objecting.....just not keen on it, so i don't want to ask him to take before pics of me. My good friend is picking me up @ 7am to get me to my appt. and am hoping she will bring her camera so that she can take some post op. pic's of me so that I have something to compare to. I know the office will do it, but I want them handy & immediately!!! Thanks again for replying will post soon!!
Good luck tomorrow Hansen! Keep me posted!
Ok....I am home and actually doing well. I felt some discomfort (OK pain) right afterwards while waiting to be discharged, but took a couple of ibuprophen that kicked in about 15 minutes later and have only had to take one more since. I got the hydrocodone just in case I need it....but haven't so far. I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL TOMORROW. My appt. is at 11:45 where he will take off this very uncomfortable wrapping which I feel digging into my swollen midsection. I do hope he was a bit aggressive in the stomach area as that is/was my most horrible part of my body. I am almost too embarrassed to post the before pictures. ick, ick, ick I told him what I was hoping for and I know he gets it.....but he is also very realistic in the outcome. Meaning I will never look like a Victoria's Secret model!!! I chose to be put out with twilight sleep.....and woke up 1/2 way through. Very weird. I was pretty much out of it but could feel all of the needles that numbed me and remember asking them to put me back to sleep. They said "no". Shit....oh well it really wasn't bad, I just wasn't expecting to feel anything until I woke up fully wrapped in my garment. So far that is my story. I will fill you in more tomorrow after my appt and let you know how swollen I am. Oh yeah...i am leaking pretty good but forgot to ask how many incisions they had to make. So I just sit here and wonder underneath all of these wraps just where the icky stuff that I know if leaking is going!! I also can't wait to take a shower. I'll fill you in on the rest later. Thanks for listening!!!
Hey! So it's been quite a few days...how are you? Does it look fabulous? I think I look pretty good. My bruises are starting to fade and I feel great. It's not a huge difference but when I put my regular pants on my muffin top is gone! Did your pain get worse? Are you happy with the results? Hope you're doing well!
Update: Day 3 - pain is worse than on day 1, but not unbearable. Only taking hyrocodone 1x / day and Tylenol the rest of the time. Bruises are coming out and still leaking. Compression garment is very uncomfortable around flank area. Going in for my post op check up this morning. So far, I do notice results around my flank and knees mostly. I think the results will be very good, the only thing that worries me is that other people have posted good results early on, and then after a week or 2 all of a sudden get lumpy and hard. If I can make it past 2 weeks I think I'll be in the clear. Does anyone know if you keep your compression garment on longer, does that prevent lumps? I'm still pretty nervous about my thighs b/c the skin on them was pretty saggy to begin with, doc said he would mostly tighten...I hope it works. Haven't uploaded my pictures yet, still working on it.