Upper & Lower Abs, Love Handles, Bra Rolls (Inner and Outer Thighs, Arms Next Week) - Austin

I had Smartlipo on my upper and lower abs, love...

I had Smartlipo on my upper and lower abs, love handles, and bra rolls 2 days ago. I am 45, 5'8 and I weigh 180. I exercise regularly and previously a a tri-athlete. I have always been very fit an athletic. I have had health problems in the last 5 years where I cannot work out as much as I used to , but I have just been unable to take off weight in certain areas. Before doing Smartlipo, I researched it well. I talked with 3 different docs before deciding on my provider in Austin Tx. The staff at the med spa have been wonderful, along with the doctor. They were knowledgable and professional. Ok... here we go.... I am going to try to hit all the areas that most people would want to know about. The numbing injections were not as bad for me as some people describe. In certain places, they hurt, but nothing that was intolerable at all. I The procedure itself was not bad at and for the most part I did really feel anything. In a few places it hurt, but the doc would add more anesthesia, and then it was fine.

We took pics and measurements before the procedure. The whole thing lasted about an hour and 1/2. The doctor was very particular and went over each areas several times. He was really a 'sculptor' as he did this. We talked through the whole thing, so I could easily carry on a conversation while the procedure was taking place.

When the procedure was over, Alicia, the nurse put dressing over the small incisions (7-9 of them) then she put on 2 very tight 12 inch wide elastic bandages (like a very wide ace bandage) and then the compression garment, which looked a lycra elastic black leotard) and I was on my way home. The draining continued and by the time I go home all the pads had to be changed. I used Maxi pads that were cut in half or thirds or whatever size I needed to cover incisions. I put folded up old sheets on my bed along with a towel to sleep on. I made it to 3 a.m. before I had to get up and changed the pads. The first night was not too bad in terms of sleep or pain. I was sore, but not intolerable.

The next morning I felt pretty good, although I did feel like I had a really hard workout. I went out to buy groceries and went to Kohl's to try on and buy the Flexees corsette that a friend recommended. I was pretty tired after that and came home and slept, then went out again later for dinner and to the whole foods store to get Arnica gel for the bruising. Make sure you use the Arnica gel... It is amazing stuff. I was putting it on both sides of my lower abdomen and by the time I was doing the second side, the first side bruising had already faded. I am also taking the Bromide and arnica tablets and I think that has really helped because I bruise very easily and I have minimal bruising from the procedure.

The second night was bad. I was very sore laying on my back and it was too painful to try to lay on my sides. I gave up the battle at 3a.m. and just got up and took some pain medication, but had to stay up. I should note that I because more and more sore and swollen throughout the first day and by the end of the day I was really done... My abs and back, etc, were sore like I had really overdone it in a work out, but I was never incapacitated by it.

So this is the the morning of the second day, which everyone said is the worst time, but so far I don't feel as bad as I did last night or through the night. I have taken some measurements. Right before Smartlipo, my waist was 33 inches. Even with all the swelling and wrapping, my waist was 32 yesterday and today it is 31 1/2. The top of my hips are 39, but I a not totally sure what they were pre, because I am not sure I am measuring in the same place. So I feel pretty good today so far. not as sore as last night, but still sore. Swelling comes and goes, but seems to be down today.

Next week I will have inner and outer thighs and arms done. I will keep posting and when I have a first set of after pics of the upper abdomen and back, I will post some pics.

Draining: I started to drain IMMEDIATELY and drained for about 30 hours. The worst drainage was from the incision above the pubic bone; there were times when liquid was literally pouring out of that incision. I used maxi pads that I cut in half. The draining was not that annoying; just have to keep up with it and it was basically only for a day. I am using Bio-gel on the incisions and i HIGHLY recommend it.

I am on day 4. The last few days I have definitely...

I am on day 4. The last few days I have definitely been sore, but not unbearable. It gets worse at as the day goes on, but not intolerable. Yesterday was a day when I had much less soreness until trying to sleep last night. The swelling seems best in the morning and gets worse during the day, but all-in-all the swelling is not too bad. My bruising is minimal. I am back to work today and it should be no problem. Throughout the past few days I have pretty much done my usual routine of walking and going to the grocery store and working on different things and it has not been problem. I did accidentally run into a doorknob with my stomach yesterday as I was getting into the shower and that was awful. I almost passed out from the pain. I will post more pics in a few days. Right now it looks pretty much the same as day one.

I just uploaded my befores and 2 months post. You...

I just uploaded my befores and 2 months post. You can see a dramatic difference, but I also need to note that I have been dieting and working out a lot. I have lost over 20 pounds so not all of the affect is from the Smartlipo. All-in-all I am happy with the results. I feel more healthy and an in much better shape. The areas that I am not thrilled about are the flanks/bra rolls on both sides. I don't see much difference in the rolls and I don't feel like there is a very dramtic difference in the area beside the breast area, although I was wearing a tight camisole that would have made it difficult for the doctor to see accurately. There is also a little flap of fat that was not removed on both arms. I need to note that my doctor said that he would touch these areas up so I will post pics again after the touch ups. Like I said, all-in-all, I am happy and the smartlipo helped to get me motivated to diet and work out more to be able to lose more weight. I still have 15 pounds to go..... reply

As promised.... Here are my before and 2 months...

As promised.... Here are my before and 2 months pics...

Captions added...

Captions added...

As you can see in my after pics, there was not...

As you can see in my after pics, there was not much change in my flank/love handle area and there was some residual fat in the stomach are. Yesterday my doctor did a touch up to these areas. Just as before, I am pretty sore today and I am taking my bromelain and arnica. It is not unbearable though. The touch up to my stomach was more painful because there was scar tissue from the original procedure in July. It hurt quite a bit, but it was not unbearable. The thing I need to mention is that I have continued to lose weight. In the last (post 2 months) pics I posted, I had lost 20 pounds and now I am up to 37 pounds before my touch up so not all the results you see will be from the lipo. However, my doc took pics right before my touch-up so I will try to get them for comparison. All in all this has been a positive experience and it helped me get on the ball and lose weight and I feel a lot better.

It has been 11 months since Smartlipo and I am...

It has been 11 months since Smartlipo and I am doing well. I have lost 43 pounds. 4 inches off of waist, 5 inches off of hips, 6 inches off of left thigh, 7 inches off of right thigh. and 2 inches off of each arm. The Smartlipo got me started in the right direction and targeted spots that are difficult to target wit just exercise. But the way I eat has helped me to continue to lose inches all over. I will post more pics since my touch up which was in January. It got rid of the flank and back rolls which were not going away despite exercise.
Dr. Lawrence Broder, Beleza Med Spa, Austin TX

Dr. B made me feel like I could trust him and I looked at his other patient's before and after pics with Smartlipo and his results were good. He is a very experienced doctor and I like the fact that he is experienced in things other than plastic surgery. He also matched a lower price that had been given to me by another doc, which is what sold me in the end because he is closer to where I live than the other doc.

I can only speak for the abs... I had surgery on the 13th. I didnt wear the garment on the 16th (half day) by the time it was 1 pm I really needed the support. I was told by the doctor not to take it off unless to shower and wash it. It could be 2 months before I stop wearing it. I feel much more secure with it on. Doc says the garment keeps the fluids from going to places it shouldnt go. like lower abs.
how long do you have to wear garment? arms do you have to wear some type of garment for arms too? where did they do incision for your arms?
I just had ABs never heard of Sonobello. Back to work today after 5 days post op. Still sore. We'll see how it goes
Thanks dchriste an 8992anon for your answers! I need to have 3 things done to get promo price at sonobello. Has anyone had anythng done at sonobello? Im probably going to do lower an upper abs an arms an thighs later because of the pain an job i cant be off more than a few days... Hope pain is not to bAd with these 3 at once.
I am confused about anesthesia...I went to two different drs one would do vaser with local anesthesia and the other one vaser with general. I am also concern with the cost b/c with general anesthesia it cost about $1000 more. Any advice anyone?
If you read my early comments you will get an idea of what is involved. I did them all separately and was still hurting A LOT 3 days post.... If you do all of those together, unless you are having very minor amounts removed (and even then, you will be sore) you will likely not want to be moving for about a week. I would not recommend doing all of those areas at the same time, unless it is just small amounts... but it STILL HURTS...
can someone tell me if i should do arms,lower abs & thighs all at once? & be ok to go back to work on the 3rd day after surgery? will i be able to walk,type? need help scheduled in a few weeks? how much pain were you in with your arms,thighs & lower abs?
I would do one area at a time. I just had my upper and lower abs done and feel like a bus an over my mid section. I cant imagine doing all of them at once. I tried resuming normal activity the next day and after but it caught up with me and I had to take two more days off with complete bed rest. Dont do it. One at at time is plenty. Trust me. Good News... loving the results. Thighs next. BUT>>> even the doctors wife said the lower you go the more pain you encounter. She had ab, thighs and calves.
My results are fantastic, but I have also lost 50 pounds, so that is where the biggest difference is. The surgery helped to spot treat and get me going in the right direction
Thank you for your advice. You were right about Dr. Broder's bedside manner. He told me some unpleasant news about my blood test and was not discreet or friendly at all about it, almost like I was being scolded in front of the nurses. I hate going to the doctor worse than the dentist for this reason. Despite a lack of sensitivity somewhat, his bedside manner wasn't all bad. He sang during the surgery and tried to carry a conversation with me and the nurses. The nurse was really sweet. He was okay. He spent a couple of hours on my abdomen and I'm hoping that the results show the time spent. I am only a few days post op and the abdomen is swollen and hard and I feel like I am pregnant.
I am ver exciting to go with dr. Broder b/c he is nota plastic surgeon. How are your results now?
you are welcome. Dr. Broder did a good job, but don't expect a wonderful bedside manner. However, his nurse is amazing and is with you the whole time. You are correct. There is big in the side pics even a couple of days afterward. However, it is hard to tell how much is from is from the weight loss. I need to post some updated pictures since I have now lost 48 pounds. I haven't posted pics after my touch up and I need to do that. It is natural to be nervous and excited at the same time. Good luck and I hope your recovery goes smoothly. Take Arnica tabs before and after, use arnica gel, and take bromelain faithfully before and after and drink water. No alcohol. Use the garments faithfully and make sure you get ones that are tight. The ones I got from Dr. Broder were not nearly tight enough. It is very important.

Good luck!
Hey Anon. I plan on getting smart lipo this month from Dr. Broder. I am so scared, nervous, and excited rolled into one. I am getting upper and lower abs and love handles done. I realized that some of your results are from weight loss but that side view even 2 days after is a big difference. Thank you so much for posting your story and it makes me more excited about getting my smart lipo
Hey, how did you like the Fleexes garmet?
I liked the flexees. Just get them tight and wear them faithfully.
How can I view your pictures?
I am thinking about doing the Smartlipo but I am not sure if it is worth while.
Thanks
If you are signed in to Realself you should be able to see my pics. They are with my comments. I look a lot different now though. I lost 37 lbs and I just had a touch up two days ago. Once I have the before and afters of my touch up, I will post those also. This was worth it for me. Smartlipo is more about changing your shape than losing weight. However, that targeted lipo makes it look like you have lost a lot more weight than what they remove. He was able to remove 4 inches off of each thigh! I lost 3 more inches off each thigh through eating right and working out. When you are just dieting and working out, you can't really 'target' where you lose the weight. He took 2 inches from my waist and I lost 2 more on my own. For me it was the push I needed to find an eating plan and to get into better shape again.
hi 8992anon, i had my done about 6 months ago. i see some improvements, but not happy with my resut. i plan to see him for the touch up, but curious that he charge you for the touch, if he did just wonder how much more did u have to pay.
You look great! Congrats on your smartLipo.

Thanks so much for adding photos + captions.  I know others will really appreciate seeing your before and after

It has now been 2 weeks post thighs 3 weeks post abs and 1 week post arms.... My thighs are finally MUCH better although there are some hard spots in my thighs and lower abs. Arms are still sore, but they never hurt as much as the thighs. The burns are almost gone. The swelling has also gone down significantly, although my lower abs, arms and knees/thighs are not completely done. I have gone from a size large on top to a medium (8) on top. I have also dropped a size on my thighs, but I haven't seen much result in my flanks and bra rolls. Dr. Broder said those areas may need to be touched up so we will see as I have more healing time. Overall, even with all the issues I had, I am happy with the results and I am sure I will only be happier as the results progress. I will post pics at about 1 month post.

Two weeks later... how are things going for you now? Has the swelling subsided?

The thighs were definitely the hard part. MUCH more sore than my abs for much longer. I am almost two weeks post thighs and they are finally getting better. They swelling in my legs was VERY bad and was not draining. I had to have a steroid shot to try to get the swelling under control. My calves looked like they were going to pop. The swelling is getting much better, but is still significant. My thighs look much smaller though, even with the swelling. My abs actually look great and I have very little pain remaining. My lower abs still have some swelling. I had the arms done 4 days ago and had some significant burns on my right arm and it is STILL draining. Anyone who thinks this is just a simple 'lunchtime lipo" is mistaken. This is surgery. It may be under local, but it is surgery nonetheless. I can honestly say that things don't always go as hoped, because I am a person who has had some of the 'complications." I was developing a compartment syndrome in my legs because all the fluid was draining into my lower legs and not draining from my body. I did everything as I should have. I took my meds, I used Arnica pills and gel and took bromelain (still taking it). I still developed a compartment syndrome from the fluid trapped in my legs and had to go on steroids to try to get the swelling down. I had significant and very painful burns on my right arm even though the same settings were used on both arms. The soreness for me was MUCH more than just a hard workout. Especially in my legs. There is no way I could have worked 1 or 2 or 3 days after the procedures. I needed all those days to be ok to go back to work and then I can tell you it was very hard to get through the day and I was walking funny while there. I do not regret it. The results are going to be really nice I think, but had my complications been any more significant, I would have risked a serious medical emergency so think it over carefully. It's not just an in and out procedure, especially if you are having thighs and/or multiple areas done.