I Developed a Deviated Septum from a Botched Nose Job - Atlanta, GA

Before the first surgery: Nothing was...

Before the first surgery:

Nothing was structurally wrong with my nose. The only reason I had a nose job was because I was unhappy with the bump on my nose. I also agreed to have my Dr refine the tip of my nose. I had no deviated septum, my nostrils were evenly sized, etc. I asked him if the size of my nostrils would still be even after the surgery, because to me that was the most obvious indicator that someone has had a nose job, and he said yes they would still be even and that the look of my nose wouldn't change from the front. He wasn't into discussing details because he already knew what I wanted (which should have been a red flag). He told me everything I wanted to hear, even if it was a lie.

After the first surgery:

He finally showed up about 2 hours late to my surgery. I followed all the aftercare procedures and came in for post-op check ups. A few months after my surgery, my nose healed enough for me to feel inside, the swelling to go down, and allow the changes to settle. The right side of my nose wall fell in and made my nose look crooked. My septum also collapsed to left and blocked a good portion of my airway. Since the left side of my nose had limited airflow, when I would breathe in- the right side of my nose was getting double the airflow/pressure and my right nostril would collapse when I breathed in. My septum bent in a "C" shape so the cartilage in between my nostrils also shifted, making them look uneven. I have recorded opinions from other doctors confirming that I developed a deviated septum since the surgery, because I never had one before the surgery.

My Dr insisted my nose was great, that there was no deviated septum and no one else was as qualified as he was to make such a diagnosis. He said there were no complications or problems during surgery and everything went great. However after going through my medical records he had me scheduled as having "major septal repair" and after reading through the notes of the surgery I found that cartilage from my septum "was harvested to use for grafting...to preserve the nasal valve which had been disrupted". Ooops, I guess he forgot to mention that or maybe he just lied to cover his own ass.

I also developed severe allergies. I got recurring, non-seasonal hives, rashes, swollen lips, and puffy, ichy eyes a few months after the surgery. I got tested at an allergy clinic and was found to be allergic to 27 different things, including: ragweed, mold, cats, dogs, dust mites, pollen, multiple types of grasses, etc. I asked if rhinoplasty could make me more sensitive to allergens and he said yes, because of sensitive tissue and increased airflow. I was put on medication everyday and started allergy shots.

After the second surgery (now):

I went in to get all of the above fixed (septum straightened, nose holes evened, right side of nose straightened, and right nostril strengthened -to stop it from collapsing) by the same dr and get my terbinates reduced (to help with my allergies).

He said he would waive his surgeon's fee and charge the rest to insurance (since now it was a medical disaster, and not just for cosmetic purposes insurance would cover it--which is a good indicator that he made my nose worse). He never admitted to making a mistake, he blamed it on "God's will" and my cats (which I've had all my life with no problems).

I went to the hospital and found out when I got there that the Dr gave me the wrong directions. Hospital staff directed me to three different hospitals before they finally found the right place.

The surgery went fine, but the results weren't worth the trouble. My septum remained deviated, as well as my uneven nostrils, I get headaches that make my face throb. My right nostril still collapses and my allergies are still a problem, I have to continue with allergy shots for the next five years. He took and grafted cartilage from my ear to straighten the right side of my nose and strengthen my right nostril. However, since he didn't fix my septum, it's still difficult to breathe out of the left side of my nose and my right nostril still collapses. Now I have a bulge of useless cartilage on the inside of my right nostril, that has done nothing but block more airflow and botched up my ear.

I went to a post-op check up, mainly to let him know that I was unhappy with it and find out what he would suggest. He came in the room, glanced up my nose and said everything looked perfect and everything was healing great. I was ready to walk out right there, but stayed and calmly told him all of the things I was unhappy with. He checked again and suddenly found a deviated septum! I asked him why it wasn't fixed during my second surgery and he acted like my deviated septum had just appeared and this was the first time he'd seen it. He offered to do another surgery, again fully paid for by my insurance. I said I wasn't comfortable with another surgery and I left without making another appointment.

I don't ever want to see him again. I felt this way after the first surgery, but I decided to give him a chance to fix his mistakes. I wanted to know if there was any chance of getting my money back (of course he said no). He not only didn't do his job- he made it worse. I really don't understand how he's entitled to my money, all he did was mangle my face.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

He made my nose worse. After two surgeries, I am left with a crooked nose and a bent septum and I still have a hump on my nose

I,ve been through the same thing. My first doctor wasnt experienced with rhinoplasty, but they are all salesmen and will say they can do anything. MY 2nd doctor was more experienced but seemed to think he knew more about what i needed than what i wanted so i let him do what he thought and hoped for the best. I still hate my nose and am waiting for my 2nd revision. My advice is to look forward. If you can afford to fly and stay, do it! Search for only revision specialist! The same names will keep popping up. If you can only afford to stay local, again make sure its someone who gets all the revisions in your area. Be frank and say Im not coming to you to ask if you can fix my nose. I want to know who you would go to if it was your nose and if enough other doctors recommend you maybe I will be back. Be strong and up front and in charge, remember none of them are in the business of saving lives, they are all in the business of making money. We are merely customers to them. We commit the deadly sin of envy and they commit the deadly sin of greed. They are most certainley no better than the rest of us, in fact they are worse. There will be no private plastic cosmetic surgeons in Heaven no matter how many free cleft lips of little foreign kids they fix. When they make bigger boobs there are changing Gods work to begin with. For lust, another deadly sin. Yeah I hate em. Anyway find the best one you can thats all you can do. GoodLuck Beautiful!
Thanks for posting. I feel your pain and can relate to how you feel about not feeling good about a doctor but giving him or her the chance to fix the mistakes. After more research, I'm confident you can find a better doctor to do a revision. I have seen some excellent results on here, including at least once that was achieved on the 3rd surgery.

There's also a lot of information about collapsed valves/nostrils on RealSelf! Check out what these doctors have to say about it. It can be fixed with cartilage grafting, but I would definitely seek out a second opinion if you weren't happy with your first doctor. I'm so sorry you had to go through this.

Thats a collpased nasal valve you have on the left nostril - there is quite a lot of info about this on google.
I had a small, slim nose from a rhinoplasty years ago. I hurt a nostril and breathing from an injury and had a correction/revision. I now have a huge, crooked nose with extremely poor breathing. At least your doctor cared enough to try to correct the problems. My doctor refused to treat me after the problems became apparent and now I spend my time trying to find a surgeon to correct the breathing problems and reduce the size of my nose from the revision.
I feel so bad for you. I had a dr. that scooped out my nose and messed it up too. Im glad now after reading your story that I went to a different Dr. to fix it. I dont have insurance though so it's all out of my own pocket.. At least you have insurance. :)
Perhaps any further revision (by a DIFFERENT doctor!) would also be considered medical, not cosmetic and your insurance would cover it?
thats not very good nose job result