Scared and Anxious at the Same Time! - Atlanta, GA

As a teen, I lived with having back pain, neck...

As a teen, I lived with having back pain, neck pain and shoulder pain. I constantly went back and forth to the doctors for it and was told that I should consider having a reduction. My mother is now and always has been very afraid of doctors so the answer was no! Now, that I am grown, I have decided to go ahead with the procedure because I am so tired of being on pain meds, physical therapy and chiropractors that is not helping! I have had several doctors recommend the procedure in the last 3 years so I believed that this would be the right decision. I currently wear a size 36H and I just weighed in at 205 lbs mainly due to recent stresses, normally I weigh about 180 lbs. I went to the PS about 2 weeks ago and he was very confident that my insurance would pay for the procedure! I am in the waiting process but he almost guaranteed me that the insurance would pay for it and now I am having the jitters just thinking about it. I watch youtube videos and that seems to make me more nervous but finding this site has made me feel so much better and I appreciate it!!!

I am still kind of worried about my insurance.I...

I am still kind of worried about my insurance.I haven't heard anything from them yet! Does anyone know how long it takes using state funded insurance? I went to the mall today and my back hurts like heck!! Went into the bra boutique and a bra my size was almost $50!!! I went home and immediately emailed my PS Assistant to see if I was approved but maybe she was already out of the office for today!!!!

I just received an email from my PS assistant and...

I just received an email from my PS assistant and she informed me that my insurance (medicaid) has me in approved status but did not give an authorization number like they usually do! So, she is having her team to speak with medicaid to see why this happening. She says she doesn't want to go ahead and schedule me and then I have to pay for a huge balance or something. Have anyone ever had this experience? I am pretty sure that it will be ok but my nerves are a mess!!!!

I received a call today from my PS and was...

I received a call today from my PS and was informed that my insurance was approved and that my surgery date is July 30!!! That's less than two weeks!! I am so excited but a little nervous too. Is there anything that I need to do before surgery that will help y surgery and what are some of the things that are "must haves" for recovery??? I really appreciate this community because It makes me feel a lot better then it would've not hearing you experiences!! Thank you so much or that!!!

I am about to go crazy!! My PS assistant has taken...

I am about to go crazy!! My PS assistant has taken a leave of absence for whatever reason but now everybody is telling me different things and none of them are turning out true so far!!! Ugh!! A lady that is filling in for the assistant told me on Friday that everything was approved and that my surgery is set for Monday July 30th. She would call me right back to give me the time for the surgery and pre op. Well, I had to call back on Monday to ask for the times, only for another lady to tell me that she didn't see where I was scheduled for surgery at all!!! So I explained to her what the lady said and she went to ask the doctor and another lady what was going on. They finally come back to the phone and says "Ok, we found out what happened and your surgery date and time will be emailed to you in a few minutes". It was this morning when I was emailed and it stated that I had to call this number to pre register on the phone before pre op which is tomorrow at 1 pm. I called the number and was told that they see my name in the system but they do not see any surgery scheduled for me at all!!!! This is crazy to me!! I called the doctors office back and now she is telling me that she will call me back later which I am probably going to have to cal them back myself!!! I am getting very aggravated because I am a person who likes to keep things going in order and if this is what you are saying then that is what I go by and I hate when it seems like I am being a nuisance by trying to get things in order!!!!

I made it through the surgery yesterday!!!!! I was...

I made it through the surgery yesterday!!!!! I was nervous when I arrived at the hospital but I was so blessed to have my husband and my mom to be there to level me out. The actual surgery took 4 hours and I stayed in recovery for another 3 hours. I woke up in too much pain!!!!! I didn't get nauseated but I can notice a huge difference in my breasts already!! I did not have to have the drains in them or the tight bandage that some people had to use. Everything went well except for my husband loosing the prescription by the time we got to the pharmacy!!!! The worst part is that my doctor had already left when he finished my procedure so the only thing that they could do was call a prescription in for Loratab just for the night. Anyway, Overall, I am in pain but I love the results so far!!!! He said that I can shower tomorrow so I will definitely be ready for that!! I had a terrible time resting last night but I made it!!! I am about to lay back down I am hurting. I hope everything went well with BamaMama as well!!!! I will post before and after pictures this week but please excuse my belly!!!!! lol

Almost two weeks post op and I am feeling better...

Almost two weeks post op and I am feeling better by the day. I still feel a burning sensation at the incision lines but for the most part I feel a lot better!!! My 2 week follow up is scheduled for next Friday and I am very anxious about that. I am still taking it very easy because there are times when I feel up to doing something and then when I do, I feel like I made a huge mistake!!
Walsh

Dr. Mark Walsh. I found him using the Health grades website. So far, he listens and explains things very well!!!! I believe I made the right choice!

WooHoo! Glad to hear you are doing so wonderfully! Just remember, you are pretty early in your healing process! Give yourself plenty of time to rest.
Im glad that u are healing well and surgery went well im a 42 I and have state insurance my ps gave me a date for oct because he too asured me that they will approve but havent heared from them yet I will call on tues it will be exactly four weeks. But u look well wat type of procedure fng or what. I know about back pain so I want it quick I wish u the fast and best healthy healing
Thank you very much!!! I am still getting used to being able to sit up right instead of slouched over!! Without any back pains!!! It was all a piece of cake looking back on everything and I think I ran myself crazy before the surgery but everything went better than expected!! Good luck with your procedure and thank you again!!
They look awesome Girl! I get drains out on Tuesday. Sounds like the OR was crazy! WHAT? All that sound like some crazy stuff to me. You need to get some answers from the hospital and make sure your dr gives you post op instructions. Mine were written in a RED envelope hubby got at discharge. Glad you are doing good and love them. I am still easily tired and of course not doing A THING around here. :-).
I think my instructions say in two weeks we can sleep on the side and at four on stomach if tolerated. Meaning if it doesn't hurt. Have a great weekend and I will update you on Tuesday.
Thank you Bama!!! They look better with each day that goes by!!! Yea, I still haven't gotten a call back from them, which totally sucks but I guess for the most part all I have to deal with is a huge scrape that is healing pretty good!!! I have also been taking it easy for the first time in my life!!! My daughter keeps asking me when am I gonna get "Normal" because her dad isn't doing her hair the right way!!! LOL I am getting used to not doing anything and I know that reality is gonna slap me in the face pretty soon but I am resting a lot better now!!
I have dreams of me sleeping on my side and prayed to GOD that I didn't actually turn over while I was sleep! lol Looking forward to doing that soon!! Good Luck with your drains and let me know how it goes!!
Congrats everything looks so great! Good luck with recovery :)
Awww! Thank you so much!!!!
Oh wow!!! I couldn't imagine not bein able to see them!! I would just go crazy!! lol Seven pounds is a lot but it will be worth it!!!! I am in love with mine already and they are not a pretty site!! LOL my sister is going to upload my pictures tomorrow so that you can see my before and after!! i never knew my stomach was such a big deal until now!! LOL Not worried about that though because now I will be able to exercise with no problems!!! When are you due to get the drains out? When are we supposed to be able to sleep other ways than our backs? That is the only thing that my doctor's office didn't do, they didn't take time to educate me about after surgery and he promised to speak with my husband after surgery but he only told my husband about the surgery and not instructions on after care. I also, have a scrape under my left armpit that is not a part of the incisions and my husband told me that there was an incident in the operating room where one nurse passed a needle to another nurse and one of them got stuck with a needle that they had used on me. They made him sign papers so that they can do a HIV test on me and the nurse but something had to have went on more then what they are saying because I have a huge scrape under my arm!!! I am freaking out and have tried to get the nurse to give me a call back but they haven't yet. I want to know what happened to me while I was in there!!!! I hope you are able to get some good rest soon!!!
I have not yet seen them. I am afraid they are a figment of my imagination! I am such a ' y the book' girl that I haven't done much but unzip my 'bra' aka torture device, and peeked in the top. My oldest daughter checked where the tubes are inserted underneath on the sides and says she sees staples and stitches. He told me he would have to use a combination of all of them. He said they were very heavy (he took seven lbs!) and there would be big incisions. :(. But they would look pretty. Just give them time. I am looking forward to being out of this thing and able to breathe! And sleep! I hate sleeping on my back. Hope you have a great night!
Hey babygirl! So glad to hear from you. I am doing much better. It does take a while to get over this initial pain. Sort of like 'I've been hit by a truck' pain. But just stay on top of it with your meds. Drink ALOT of water/juice too. And don't do anything more than walk around right now. No bending or reaching. Just be the queen and give direction. Lol

Please do remember the stool softener. It took me until Thursday (!) to GO. I felt so much better after that. Do you have drains? I do and it stinks :(. Let us hear from you again soon
Hello!!! I am glad to hear from you also!!! You and Iowa are heaven sent!!! I do not have any drains and my mom is supposed to bring stool softeners today. I also described the pain as being hit by a truck!!! lol anyway, I am much better today just really sore at times but I continue with my meds and hopefully It will go away soon!!! Hae you been able to see them yet?
Hello guys!! I am feeling a little better right now but I have been in pain!!! I'm usually not phased by pain but this has been a different story!!! All I have been able to do is lay around and pop meds! I took a shower last night with the help of my husband and we did pretty good, except for a few stubborn spots where the gauze was stuck but we decided to leave them alone until the are ready to come off. I am happy overall and I know that once they start to heal, I will be too happy!!!! How are you Bama???

Right now you are totally suppose to be lying around and popping your pills. Take them around the clock. There is no need to be in pain! And if it is time for you to have a pill but you are still feeling pretty good, it won't hurt to take one. It is better to avoid the pain than it is to try to get rid of it. But remember to be taking your stool softeners, because you don't want the pain of a backed up digestive system on top of it all!
Thank you Iowa! I feel a little better today then I have since I came home!! Do you know when I can start using my Vitamin E Oil on my incisions and can I bathe daily?

Make sure your incisions are completely closed before you start putting anything on them. At least 3 weeks, usually. It seems like the doctors have really different opinions on bathing. My doctor said I could shower right away, but no bathing until the incisions were closed. Make sure they are completely dry before you put your dressings and bra back on. If you have drains be extra careful around the insertion site. Glad you are feeling better!
Let us hear from you as soon as you are able

So glad you are now on the lighter side! Hope you are able to rest better tonight. Anxious to see your pictures (and don't worry about the belly! We've all got one :-D)
Good luck tomorrow! I will check on you later! You will do awesome
Thank you and same to you!! Praying for the both of us!!!! We will talk tomorrow, on the other side!!! lol
I am doing fine, thanks for asking!!! How are you doing??? I can't believe that it's FINALLY our turn!! lol I am too excited because going through a week without pain meds for my back has definitely taken it's toll on me but if it's God's will, I won't have to worry about that chapter anymore!!!!
Are you doing ok? Just one more sleep then it's our turn! YAY
Thank you!! Lol, that's right!!!! He is SUPER laid back and is truly my better half!!! We are definitely blessed to have them!!!
Bama, I am afraid to go get any bras I think that I am still not believing that it's really going to happen! Lol Iowa Thank you so much for that and I decided to let it go today because I didn't get a call back from the assistant like I knew I wouldn't and I decided to just call the pre register number again around 7 pm and finally my information was in the system! I get so worked up when things don't run smoothly but I have to keep in mind that not everything is gonna go according to plan. My husband calmed me down and that's when I called the pre register number again! So, I feel a little better now but I can't help but think that there is still something that is not going to go right before the surgery but that's probably just my nerves!!!

Oh, Babygirl, I'm so happy for you. Take this victory and don't obssess too much about what might happen. Isn't it wonderful when we high-strung girls have sweeties who know how to calm us down. I'm frequently thankful for my laid back husband, because if we were both as neurotic as I am we would be in trouble!

Don't feel as if you are a nuisance! You have every right to call. It's not like we are talking a month away yet, this is 4 days from now and you need to know what is going on. Call them again, stay as calm as possible, because everyone is more willing to accomodate a sweetheart, but be firm so they don't think you are a push-over. Good luck! Let us know what happens!