Finally Doing This! - Ann Arbor, MI

I have thought about rhinoplasty for years but I...

I have thought about rhinoplasty for years but I wanted to be okay with myself and not resort to plastic surgery. I have decided I don't want to be "pretty but with a big nose" any longer. My family and friends love me for who I am but strangers like to point out that I have a big nose (as if I don't see it every day when I look in the mirror). They don't realize what their words and actions do to a person. I am super excited about the surgery but also very scared. My surgeon doesn't believe in giving before and after pictures because he doesn't want you to have a mental picture of what it's going to exactly look like. I just have to trust that he is good at what he does. He is board certified and I liked his professionalism and demeanor. I have found this blog to be so helpful. I love reading the stories and seeing the pictures. I can totally relate to how everyone feels.

One month from today!! It's becoming so real. ...

One month from today!! It's becoming so real. I'm nervous and excited!!

I had my surgery on December 4th. It was not as...

I had my surgery on December 4th. It was not as easy as a lot of people have described. I was in major pain on day 2 and 3. My surgery was open rhinoplasty and lasted three hours. I don't have a good frontal view photo yet to post but when I look at myself from the front it's like one continuous blob, no defiition in my nose, very huge. I am worried but I'm trying to be optimistic. I don't know what to think yet.

Well I am on day 12 now and my nose is still very...

Well I am on day 12 now and my nose is still very swollen. From the front it looks huge. I went back to the doctor on Thursday and they are having me tape my nose 24 hours a day for two weeks to see if it helps the swelling go down. I am so freaked out that it's going to stay this way. My profile is getting better all the time so I am happier about that. My nose will never look really small, but it seems to be more pleasing to the eye and hopefully will eliminate the shock factor that people had when they seen my nose. I am taking an extra week off of work since I have to tape my nose every day. This is a difficult process but I am hopeful it will be worth it. It's nice to have this site to communicate with others that are going through the same thing. :-)

Well today is day 12. I am still really worried...

Well today is day 12. I am still really worried about how big my nose looks from the front. I went back to the doctor on Thursday and he is having me tape my nose 24 hours a day for the next two weeks to see if that will help the swelling go down. It's just so scary because I hope it's swollen and not somehow bigger than before surgery. I do think my profile is looking a little better. I will never have a really small nose but it looks like it is more pleasing to the eye and hopefully has lost the "shock factor" of being so big. I am very thankful I found this website because it really helps to talk to others who are going through the same thing. :-)
Dr. Momoh

So far I like my surgeon...time will tell more as to whether I'm happy with the final result or not.

Thank you to those who have asked about me....I just noticed your messages, I haven't been on this site in a very long time. I am having a revision rhinoplasty in January to remove some cartlidge and thin our the tip of my nose. It won't make my nose less prominent from my face but I think it will help the front view. I actually like the profile, it's so much better than before, and I've come to realize my nose will never be small. This site was depressing me because so many people on here have a nice nose (in my opinion) and still want to change it. Imagine what they would have done with my nose....probably jumped off a bridge...LOL. Anyway, thanks again for asking. I hope you all are doing well, you're a great group of people and it's nice to go through this journey with others who can put themselves in your shoes. :-)
Hi. I haven't been on the site for a long time, so just read your update. All the best for your surgery in January. There are a lot of stories on here by people with good noses to start with, so I can well understand why you chose to stay away. All the best!
Hello Kmealp! Just wondering how you're doing... You were so unhappy back in December, so I'm hoping you've since since progress that you like! Keep us posted...
How are you?? I really hope you are seeing some progress. You should ask your Doc. about steroid injections. I just got one 5 days ago, and it seems to be helping quite a bit. However the results are definitely not what I was expecting, hopefully time is STILL on our side.
Hi there, now that you've had a little more time we'd love to see and hear how you're progressing!!
how is it progressing? the profile looks awesome in after picture.
Hi. Hope you are traveling along ok. How are you progressing? I'm nearing the 4 week mark now and it has been quite a journey so far. The bruising has gone and now I sit in limbo waiting for the swelling to go down. The bottom third of my nose is so hard and has no definition. My profile looks lovely but it will take time to completely love the front. Anyway, just thought I would drop by and say hello.
Hi there. I had my surgery on Monday. All went well but I am very bruised and swollen. The tip of my nose had an enormous amount of work and is so is now huge (trying not to freak out). Anyway, I was wondering how you are getting on now and how you went at the recent doctor's visit?
Hi! Glad to hear your surgery went well. I understand "trying not to freak out". I cried after my cast came off, it was awful. I went to see my doctor today. It was the first time I have seen them (him and the resident doctor) since the day of surgery. As soon as they seen me, before even touching my nose, they said I was still VERY swollen. I am so glad they said that because there was a part of me that thought they made it this big and that's how it was going to be. My tip is still really hard and kind of numb which is a sign of swelling but I needed to be told my the experts. They told me I have to give it 6 to 8 months to even know what it's going to be like. They said with the amount of work I had done and the fact that it was an open rhinoplasty the swelling will be much worse. So I am going to try to relax now. It has only been 6 weeks, they said that is not nearly enough time for us to know anything. They said they think I will be really happy with it sometime this summer. It seems like a long time but I guess for a lifetime of wanting a different nose that's not too much time to wait. People at work have already been telling me it looks good and that it's changed even since I've returned to work which has been a couple of weeks now. Good luck to you, you may not have the issues with swelling that I've had. I know everyone is different. This blog has helped me but in some ways it has made it worse. I am comparing myself with others too much and I have to stop doing that. I probably won't post any more pictures for quite a while. It's hard when people don't see any changes and then you don't get much support, so then I feel like people think it doesn't look good, which then makes me depressed....lol. It's a vicious cycle. Keep us updated on your progress and congratulations to you for going through something so emotionally and physically hard. It takes a lot of courage to do what we've all done. :-)
I love these last few sentences you wrote. This process is very emotional and physically difficult. This site does make this process hard for people like us, who cry when they get the cast off. Aloud I jokingly mimick the people who say "I love my new nose, I am so happy" ON CAST DAY!! what the hell, lucky people. Anyway, I believe in your progress and I know you will end up loving your nose. This swelling is super embarrassing, but it will all be worth it in the end. Nothing worthwhile is easy. Anyway, I hope you are feeling better lately. I will miss your photo updates, but I understand, I put a stop to posting mine for a while to. I don't want to discourage anyone, lol. Anyway, keep in touch.
It is a long haul and I can understand how encouraged you would feel to hear that it is very swollen. I am expecting swelling from all the work I had done and even my age. I am actually not looking forward to the reveal and would be quite happy to wear a cast until the swelling subsides...that probably sounds weird. There are a lot of people here who have lovely small noses beforehand and just get a little tweaking done , so it can be discouraging when their noses look so amazing almost from day 1. I am trying not to look at those too much but have a handful similar to myself who are healing slowly and are being honest about the emotional impact. Thanks for taking the time to share and I hope you stay in touch.
I had been wondering about you but couldn't find your review until now. Your profile is looking lovely and so much softer. I hope the swelling subsides soon for you. My op is on the 14th and is a long one too...looks like swelling is definitely a long term issue. Take care & stay in touch.
Thank you! I will be thinking of you on Monday and praying you get the results you want. I need to remember to exercise patience but it is so hard. I just want a nicer looking nose, is that to much to ask for? Lol. Keep us posted on your recovery. :-)
Hello kmealp, just a little note to let you know I'm thinking of you and hoping you're doing okay, in light of the incredible patience needed during recovery time! I am at almost 3 weeks post-op, and my nose from the front remains fully swollen. I don't think it's gone down even a millimeter. My surgery was also 3 hours. Like you, the profile improvements are easier to see. I read (so don't quote me) that when the bones are broken, a soft material forms under the skin, where the final new bone will eventually be. The soft material physically takes up more space than the final bone will. The process takes months! So I think there are a lot of factors that can can affect the degree of swelling someone has. Anyway, for sure, your doctor didn't add anything to your nose, he only took away, so it's impossible to end up with a larger nose :-D Hang in there!
Thank you for your note! I see my doctor this Friday so I'm excited about that. :-)
Hey, there. haven't heard from you in a while! Hope things are going well for ya. take care!
Thanks for your note! Not a lot of change in the front of my nose, still wide and big at the tip. I am just hoping since I had so much work (3 hour surgery) that it's going to take longer for my swelling to go down. I do like my profile a lot better so I need to celebrate that. My nose was never wide before so it's hard to look in the mirror. I see my doctor again on the 18th so I'm going to ask him about it. I hope you are doing well and having a good recovery. Thanks again for asking how I'm doing...that was really sweet. :-)
Ahh, okay. Yeah, I'm sure 3 hours of work makes a big diff with the swelling! I'm glad you look like your profile and that's a good idea to talk about that and see what he says! My recovery is going well thanks. Much dizziness, but it's a normal side effect from my pain meds. Hope everything goes great at your next appointment!
My frontal view is still huge too! It is so wide and my tip is just huge! It's very embarrassing. A better profile is not worth a worse frontal view. I real hope both our noses can narrow out soon, because I am getting very impatient! It is hard to go out and see friends with it looking like this. I have contoured my nose with makeup which does really help it look narrower and better. You can look up on youtube on how to do this too if you like. Anyway good luck.
Thanks for your message! Hopefully what we are experiencing is just swelling and in time will go down. I have noticed changes in my nose since the cast was first removed. At first, it was just a big blob, no definition at all. Now I can see definition and a shape forming. I have to go back to work Thursday and I'm stressed about it. I just don't know if people understand how long it takes for a new nose to look nice. I guess we just have to be patient. I see my doctor on January 18th so maybe he can put my mind to ease on why it looks so big from the front. I don't expect it to look tiny but bigger than before from the front is not what I wanted. Thanks for the makeup tips....and good luck to you too. :-)
I keep telling people over and over again that it takes a full year to heal and de-swell. I wonder if people actually believe me and understand it, but oh well.
Well it's day 18....I just posted a few more pictures. First, I need to say for everyone reading this....my nose was bigger than most everyone's on here so my ending result is probably bigger than where everyone else started. But, I am hopeful that it is going to look better than before, which is all I can ask. I like my profile more each day but the frontal view is still not good. I am terrified it's going to stay like this. Time will tell. I just don't understand how the front can look so much bigger after than it did before. :-(
Hi Kmealp, I think you're going to end up with a nose you are happy with! Your profile pic shows swelling going down, and so does your frontal pic. There's definition now where before there was none!! Since your doctor did a lot of work, then you can be sure you have a lot of swelling! Hang in there!!
Hi Gift....thank you so much!! I have been feeling so down. You're right, though, there is definition now where before there wasn't. They did three hours of work on my nose so I need to be patient and see what happens. Thanks again for your note, it really helps me feel better. :-)
Oh....and I hope you are feeling good. I just realized you had surgery a couple days ago. I hope you are having a good recovery.