Tummy Tuck and Lypo of Flanks - Alpine, UT

I am 31 and a mother of 4 beautiful children. I...

I am 31 and a mother of 4 beautiful children. I always told myself that after I had children if I couldn't get rid of my tummy I would have a tummy tuck. After my consult with my doctor he confirmed that my muscles had separated.

I had a full tummy tuck with lypo of the flanks done on March 8th, so I am 5 days out. I was so nervous for this surgery and so was my husband. The doctors and nurses were fantastic and my surgery went very well. I woke up feeling pretty good but I was surprised how tight I felt. I felt as though there was a huge weight on my lungs. It was hard to take deep breaths at first. And when they asked me to cough I thought they were kidding! The nurse told me that it was important to cough so I wouldn't get pneumonia. It helped to hug a pillow when I coughed. I stayed overnight at the surgery center and I think that made a huge difference. The first time I had to stand up was hard but not as bad as I expected.

So far I am very happy with my surgery. Scar seems to be very low. I have two drains in that don't bother me too much. I borrowed a lounger from my mom that has a remote recline function to it. I live in this chair! It has made such a big difference for me! I took a shower for the first time yesterday and saw my incision sites. Even thought I am still a bit swollen I can see a big difference.

I have been getting up quite a bit to walk around a little. I think that helps a lot... I have been getting a bit stir crazy!

I am now a week out after surgery and I am having...

I am now a week out after surgery and I am having insane itching at my incision site, especially by my hips. Has anyone else experienced this? Suggestions?!? I am going insane!

Today is my one week mark and I am miserable! I...

Today is my one week mark and I am miserable! I started itching last night along my incision site and went to see my Dr today. He said I was allergic to the Seri Strips and he had to pull them all off. That was an interesting feeling! The itching has only gotten worse, which he said it would. I am going insane with this itching. It's probably one of the most frustrating feelings I have had!

Photo Update

I am finally feeling a bit better today! I...

I am finally feeling a bit better today! I actually got some sleep last night! I am not nearly as itchy but I feel so tired! I have felt more pain today, not from the itching, but from the surgery. I haven't felt like this for the last few days. So I am confused. Is it normal to have pain again when I haven't? Has anyone else had this?

My two week mark is today! For the most part I...

My two week mark is today! For the most part I feel great! I still walk slow, and I am very cautious. I am a little tired throughout the day but this is much better then I thought it would be. I have been out running errands and working the last few days and I have been fine.
My tummy is looking better and better every day! I am getting tired of the binder... my Dr said I need to wear the post op garment plus the binder for 6 weeks. This will be tough! I will post some pictures later tonight.

I am 3 1/2 weeks post op and I feel great! Back to...

I am 3 1/2 weeks post op and I feel great! Back to work and feel pretty much normal. I do wear spanx and a girdle thing on top of the Spanx that I got from Nordstroms. I wear it day and night. I just ordered a Gelzone wrap. I have heard a lot of great things about it so I am excited! I do feel a bit swollen in the evenings but nothing horrible. I started carrying around my baby (he's 19 months and about 30 pounds). I did feel more swollen when I started doing that and walking a ton! I asked my PS if it causes damage to use the stomach muscles and he told me no. It just prolongs healing and swelling...My PS did say that the swelling would go down after 8 weeks. Unless of course I do too much! I will post some pictures soon!

Tomorrow is my 5 week post op. I feel great! My...

Tomorrow is my 5 week post op. I feel great! My family took a vacation to Maui for Spring Break and I have had no problems! I've been talking good walks for an hour in the morning. I haven't been wearing my compression garments at all during the day but wear them at night when I sleep. I've felt a bit of swelling but not much. I'm very happy with my results! This is the first time in my life I have ever felt confident enough to wear a bikini! I love it! I hope you are all happy with your results or getting excited for surgery!

Photo Update

I hit my 6 week PO date today! That means I don't...

I hit my 6 week PO date today! That means I don't have to wear my compression garment anymore. Wahoo! I remember asking people that had a TT done if they regretted it at all and not one person said no. I was thinking today if I were asked that question what I was say. My answer would be that I am very happy with my TT and I absolutely do not regret it! Recovery was a lot better then anticipated and the swelling has gone down so much! I love not having my love handles hang over my pants. I love not worrying about my pooch every time I sit down! The only thing I don't love is the scar around my belly button. I am sure that will fade though. It was worth it for the other benefits!

Hopefully my posts help others who are thinking about doing a TT!
Provo Plastic Surgeon

This is the second procedure I have done with Dr R and I have been very happy with my results. The scaring is very minimal and my tummy tuck incision looks great so far.

Looking great wow. Hope u had fun in maui it is beautiful here
Honestly, I'm not using anything. I had an allergic reaction the the steristrips that were put on and then any scar treatment afterwards I've reacted to as well. Im just putting really good lotion on right now but that's it. I did use this silicone band for a few days and was more red from that. I wonder if the redness is from healing? Also I take vitamins and drink alkaline water. Maybe that helps? Who knows?!?
Alright lets have it..what are u using on your scar?? :) Looks amazing..Im 8 weeks and mine is still red ugh waiting is sometimes the hardest part! You look so good
Seriously you look amazing!! So happy for you :)
Wow!, this was a real quality post. In theory I'd like to write like this too - taking time and real effort to make a good article on Papper... but what can I say... I keep putting it off and never seem to get something done.
Looking awesome girl! I have the same type of garment and it is completely concealed by my clothing. I love wearing it while at work. I am very active at work so it helps to support me while I am in the healing phase. I am five weeks out and returned to work at 2 1/2 weeks PO. It was definitely hard to get into the swing of things but I am finding that I am stronger everyday. The swelling isn't so bad anymore at the end of the day. I still have some swelling but not much. I do get sore if I have over done it but I try to listen to my body. I am NOT lifting anything at work yet that is over 10 lbs. So all of the paint cans have to wait...lol. I get my guys to do it and they have been so helpful while I recover...:). They don't know exactly what I am recovering from but they are so willing to help anyway...makes it so much easier for me as a manager to have a team like them.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that you have wonderful results and I am hoping to get my flanks and tummy as nice as you. For some reason I think my doctor didn't do them during surgery. I did't have the bruising and the soreness like I did in my other areas that were lipoed. So I think he overlooked it by accident. Not sure...will find out more tomorrow at my po appt.

Keep us posted on your progress...you are an inspiration!
Hi aj31..you look amazing..nice to hear that you love the result..my surgery is on wednesday..i'm super nervous and scared ..but at the same time excited too ..i can't wait to get it over..so i can start my healing process..by the way you can call me lovely bone123..i am 51 years old..not bad looking for my age..i have 4 children and there all grown and married except for my one and only boy he is just 15 years old..still raising him.. i have a wonderful hubby who decide to pay for my mommy make over..so i tooked the opportuniry to get it done this april..Is nice to read all the story here at real self ..you learn something and then some..well i will keep you posted on my up coming journey..TTYL
Looking so good!
Looking great!!! How is everything?
Bridg - I'm feeling great! Looking forward to bring cleared at 8 weeks to start ab work!!! How are you feeling?
Oops - being cleared not bring cleared... Typing on my iPhone whole sitting on the beach. Bound to have some typos!!!
What is the girdle thing you got? I am thinking of goin back to work when I am 2 and a half weeks PO whinch us a in a little over a week but I work in an office and don't really want to wear my surgical compression garment. I kinda want something that won't show as much
Joyce - I'm not sure what the brand was but it's almost like a corset without strings. I'll try to remember to look at it layer and find the brand. I've found it best to wear my Spanx and then that girdle piece (goes from my hip bones to a few inches under my chest. Hope that helps! Good luck! How are you feeling?
I, too, am sensitive to the surgical tape. I get really itchy from where the glue was. I put hydrocotisone cream on the areas AROUND the incision. Not on it. I had my boyfriend help me with the removal of any adhesive glue on my skin so it wouldn't keep me so itchy. I also take benadryl before I go to bed. It seems to help. I am also experiencing itching where I am bruised from the lipo. I go to the doctor tomorrow so I will ask if that is normal. I wish you the best of luck with this. I know it is annoying but it will go away...:).
Looks Great... I am so Happy for You!!!!!!
WOW you look great!! CONGRATS!!

The itching is all part of the healing process.  Makes you nuts I know.  At this point you really can't put anything on the incision.  It needs to heal and be totally closed up before you are able to use lotions and oils.

I use to  lightly scratch the skin directly above and below the incision which helped a bit.  It will feel very strange because you are numb in the belly.

I did not wear a binder past day three so that helped me a little bit.
Hey well I feel really good :) my PS just gave me the go ahead to just leave my incision open to air.. But I think I'm still going to put some paper tape on it to try and flatten it. I had a bad reaction to the paper tape too but after the 1st week it did get better & now it doesn't bother me. I haven't had too much swelling.. Pretty lucky w/ that. Wore my binder 24/7 and drank lots of water. Have been slacking w/ that lately though. I also took bromelian. A supplement to help w/ swelling. Are you taking that??
bridg0809 what did your Dr tell you it was from?
Its just a natural part of healing. Will you be posting pics of your new bod : )
I will when I am all healed. What about you? Three weeks out? How swollen are you? ... Do you have Steri Strips on your incision from your tt? The Dr thinks I might be allergic to the strips so I am going in later to see him.
Did you ask your doc to put you on antihistamine medication , they help a lot . Tc
Ahhhhh I'm 3 weeks out and still itch like crazy!! I just try to ignore it. Hope all is well!
really? i wonder why it itches?