My journey started in the 4th grade when I first...

My journey started in the 4th grade when I first started being teased about my appearance. I had inherited my fathers' nose and on a young girl it wasn't attractive. Kids' found it entertaining to point out my flaws on a daily basis which began my life of low self confidence. I have always focused on what people think of me and am often too self concious to walk up to someone without fearing they are staring at my nose. Finally after years of battling with this feeling internally I spoke up this last winter with more of a deman that I was getting this surgery no matter what. My surgery is scheduled for Monday June 10th and the day can't come soon enough.
Second what NewNose4me! You are very pretty and your new nose will only make you prettier. It will be fun to see your after your surgery. Best wishes!
Hey! Best of luck! Can't wait to follow you on your journey :)

Another Picture

i cant wait to see your results :) best wishes
Thank you!
My nose looks very similar to yours, and I also have thought and thought about rhinoplasty. I finally made a decision to do it after 22 years of thinking about it. ( I am 38 years old). I am extremely scared and nervous. I am scheduled for June 24th. Are you going to have your nose narrowed? I can't decide if I should or if I should just take off the hump and fix the tip. I am worried about compromising the structure of my nose if I have it narrowed.

Updated before pics

Only 9 more days....pre-op next week and surgery was officially paid in full today! Anxious and excited!

Pre-op Done

Well today I had my pre-op interview and testing done. Blood work, EKG, and Chest X-ray. Not sure why I had to have a chest x-ray, but they are completed. Went yesterday and picked up some Arnica gel, hoping it will help with bruising next week, I tend to bruise really easily.Only a week to go...AHHHH!!!! Can't get here soon enough!
Best of luck to you! The arnica gel sounds like a great idea for your cheeks. I took Arnica Montana pellets and Bromelain -- both available at health food stores. I think they really expedited my healing.
Thanks I will stop and grab some of those as well!
Thanks I will stop and grab some of those as well!

Only a few more days!!!!

Life right now feels surreal. I have waited so long for this day to come along I can't believe it is only a few days away. Tomorrow they call with my Monday arrival time so I am anxiously awaiting that. Today I went and purchased ice packs for my face and eyes, gauze, tape, lip balm, and soft foods and extra drinks. I do have a question for everyone out there, how long before you can return to excerising/running? Right now that is my biggest worry. I am an active person and stopping my workout routine is in the forefront of my mind right now. Any tips or suggestions are appreciated. The only other thing I worry about right now is more superficial. I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone and I am concerned with the "talk" that all too often happens. Has anyone had this experience? I know it will eventually go away, I am just self conscious aboutit all. I will be sure to post as soon as I am feeling up to it on Monday, can't wait!!!!!!!
Good luck on Monday!! So exciting!

DONE!!!!!!!

Wow had surgery today, it took 4 hurs!. No packing just cast and splint. Looked in mirror at profile and started to cry...already looks amazing and better. I will post more tonight.

Feeling up to writing...

So this morning I arrived at the hospital at 6am, the nurse escorted into a private suite at the hospital and got me all set up with my gown and IV. Dr. Mussman is apparently very fussy about the privacy of his patients which was fine by me. I was so calm and comfortable it was surreal. Dr. Mussman came in at about ten to 7 and chatted with me for a bit and actually made me even more calm if that was possible. The next thing I remember was waking up in recovery. Doctor was leaning over me, telling me it turned out beautifully and I would be in love with it. The surgey lasted almost 4 hours as he said he really took his time with every detail. After an hour in recovery with very mild pain they took me back to my room. I drank some juice, ate a muffin and was ready to go home. I am not stuffy at all and can breathe out of my nose. The only irritating part is the gauze underneath for dripping. I am swelled, but have been icing all afternoon. Right now my left eye is showing signs of bad bruising, so we will see what tomorrow brings. My first sneak peak was when I removed the bottom cloth to change the gauze, all I can say is WOW!!! My profile is already so different. It was the first time in my life I have ever wanted to see the profile in the mirror. It brought tears to my eyes. I can't wait to see it without the cast. As for medicine today I did take 1 percocet at 4, it had been 4 1/2 hours since medicine and I didn't want to risk it. Dr. gave me something to help me sleep tonight so I will update about how that worked tomorrow.
Glad to hear you're doing good!
Thanks it went great!

another pic

So glad you're feeling good. The most stressful and nerve-racking part is over now! Oh, I wanted to tell you - I finally went hardcore running today (just over 6 weeks). But I started doing yoga and hiking about 3 weeks after my surgery. (My doctor told me to wait to exercise until after my post-op checkup, which was about 3.5 weeks after my surgery). I am very active too, and it was really tough to hold out on running. But I was just nervous about messing something up! I felt fine with hiking/yoga, just expect to feel a little swelling in your nose post workout. Tell your doc about your normal exercise when you get your cast off and ask when you should expect to be back to normal. Take it easy this week and best of luck with the rest of your recovery :)
Thanks for the info about excerise. I am signed up for a 5k on July 13th and would be a little heartbroken if I couldn't attend, but plan on talking to the doctor on Friday when I get my cast removed. Thanks again and I am so happy you are able to get back into the swing of things :)
Congratulations! So happy to hear you are doing well! Keep us posted....

Day 2

So I still have no pain and very little bruising, just a little pressure. Does anyone know if this means I won't bruise? I have been most worried about this as my bruises usually take a while to go away. My first nights sleep was weird. I wasn't uncomfortable and I did take a sleeping pill, but felt like I could only doze off and on throughout the night. I slept in the recliner with my nexk pillow to the side to relax and am hoping to get some better rest tonight. I have very slight dripping left and am still able to breathe through both nostrils, which must be because I wasn't packed, but have these silicone splints inside the nose that have holes in them. Not complaining about being able to breathe though, that seems to be a big problem for most. This morning when I got up for meds and cleaning my nose I didn't recognize myself in the mirror, which is a weird feeling. It was overwhelming, but not in a bad way. Although I didn't recognize the person staring back at me my eyes welled up with tears because for the first time ever I didn't just see my nose. I realized I have very pretty eyes and nice cheek bones. I am so anxious to see what things look like with the cast off, but I am still so happy with the results I am seeing. I do have a lot of swelling on the bridge and tip, but he said he spent a lot of time on both of those parts so that is to be expected. The only place it hurts, not real bad just tender is between the eyebrows that is where most of my bruising I have is as well. Yesterday I was able to eat a little, I had pudding, a muffin, and some noodles as well as a soft cookie before bed. I am still taking the arnica pills every 4-6 hours with my meds and applying the gel to my eyes and forehead every 6 hours.
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has messaged or commented as well. I am a pretty private person and starting this blog was a hard thing for me, especially since I knew I should post pictures as well. The comments I have received from all of you warm my heart and make me realize I am not alone. I have enjoyed reading about all of your journey's as well and will be forever grateful for this site for allowing me to step outside of my comfort zone.
Congratulations! I know what you mean about people taking. I'm also worried about that too and if people will recognize me after. However you have to do what will make you happy and not care want others say.

day 2 pics

Congratulations! I am having surgery on Friday. I have thought about the appearance of my nose for a long time and was also teased as a child. For the most part it hasn't bothered me but as I get older aging in general along with a big nose is hard. I am 50. I'm also from a small town and have the same worries you do...
Good luck With your surgery I am sure you will do fine. Let me know how it goes.
Thank you. I will let you know and also post some pictures. :)

more....

Well my bruising went from almost nonexistent this morning to pretty prominent this evening. I am also feeling more pressure as I know the swelling is getting worse. I am hoping this is the worst of it but we will see. I did take a bath and washed my hair so I feel a little more normal. Here's hoping for a good nights sleep.
So happy for you! I really notice your beautiful eyes too now!! Good luck with your healing. My surgery is in 10 days. Would you recommend the arnica gel?
I would definitely get it al Ing with the tablets. Thabks so much and keep ue ipdated on yours. Good luck!

day 3

So I made a mistake this morning.....I was feeling good so I decided to skip a dose of medicine....bad idea. The pressure from swelling was so bad it brought me to tears. Needless to say I did go take my meds. Last night I slept better although at 1230 I woke up with a weird feeling. The swelling moved from between my eyes to lower in my face it also made it different to see in the mirror. I was over tired and had a small panic attack. I do feel like the left internal splint is falling out not sure if that can actually happen but I have a lot of pressure on that side. Bruising is getting better today. Excited for Friday when I can actually see a more realistic result. Chewing is hard today so I feel a little weak from lack of food. Also my jaw hurts I assume from all of the swelling pressure on my nose. I did actually straighten my hair today though so I feel a little more normal. Hoping this is the worst of the swelling!
You look great! And I am sure things can only get better from here on. Yesterday I went for my pre-op appt and paid in full. No turning back now. My stomach is in knots all the time and I feel like crying. Part of me is saying "what did I do!" But the other part really wants this, I only wish I had done it back when I was in my twenties. I am like Kelyn, I just did not want to get any older with the nose I have. I know people will have lots of judgements and tell me I should have been happy with the way I look, but am just not.
So happy for you and you have to make you happy. You will be glad you went through it all. As uncomfortable as I have been the last few days I would do it all over again for the sheer fact my hair is in a ponytail right now and I am comfortable. Good luck I can't wait to follow your transformation!
Thank you for your updates. Our surgeries are so close together so it is helping with my anxiety to read about your experience. You look great for day 3! I don't see any bruising at all which is remarkable! I hope you continue to feel good and heal well. I will remember to continue to take my meds the first days even if I'm feeling pretty good. I posted my before pictures. :) http://www.realself.com/review/denver-rhinoplasty-june-14th-the-day

day 4

So last night I slept much better than I have been. Although I didn't sleep the whole night I did make it longer periods of time. I took pain pills in the night but this morning have been taking tylenol. I was even able to bath again so I feel better. I still have pressure and tomorrow can't come soon enough I will get this itchy cast off and crazy splints out. I will say I am getting used to the way I look but I am very nervous about seeing myself without the cast. Hoping for the best. when I look in the mirror I can still see some minor bruising and a lot of swelling around bridge and tip. Any advice on the big reveal day?

day 5

So I misunderstood today I got my splints out and stitches removed but the cast will be there until the 27th. Those both hurt extremely bad. It goes fairly quickly but it is painful. Now that they are out I feel so much less pressure it is amazing. I have lots more drainage now but feel more normal.
Congrats! Keep healing and taking good care. You are going to be thrilled! xxooox

Day 6

Well today is day 6 and my birthday! I guess I can consider it a birthday gift I slept last nice only waking up once. I also haven't taken any pain pills so that is a bonus. The bigger gift would have been if this darn cast was off. Last night I was feeling depressed stick in the house cast still on not being able to exercise. ..so I ended up getting out the exercise ball and slowly did small sets of sit ups. Now I know I probably shouldn't have but I did take it easy and figured doing them on the ball wouldn't be as bad and guess what??? No swelling and no pain! Of course I don't plan on over doing anything but it did make me feel better about myself. As far as my nose is concerned it is interesting some moments I feel like it has changed a lot and other times it looks like the same nose. I am sure that is aiding in the self confidence being lower. Wondering if anyone else has gone through this?
happy birthday!! looks great so far! Don't worry since your only 6 days post op you have soo much swelling, once that goes down it will look amazing :)
Thanks I have high hopes :)
Happy birthday! And yep haha that's a very good bday gift, and it happened to me too, yesterday I looked in the mirror and I saw the same ugly nose but today it looks good, it's weird but it happens

just me

Thanks!

Junior High All Over Again!

So tonight was an interesting evening. As I said today was my birthday and my family was home from out of town. My grandma called from my moms house and wanted me to come over. First this is hard because there would be 9 people there 7 of which I didn't realize knew I had surgery and I still had my cast on with black eyes. I reluctantly went knowing it was important to my mom. I walked in the door and immediately felt as though I was in a junior high classroom again, thinking everyone was staring at my nose, wondering if they thought I was crazy or looked stupid. Although I am sure my mom told them not to say anything and they didn't it was still a hurdle. I stayed about an hour and a half and by the time I an hour had passed I was more comfortable (not completely) in my surroundings and feeling like I could venture into the main room instead of secluding myself in the dining area. As hard as this was for me and as much as I realize the people in my life don't fully understand the depth of my lack of self confidence I was proud of myself. I did it and I made it through. I am hoping I don't continue to feel this way everywhere I want to go once the cast comes off, but I am hopeful that I will overcome it. As hard as this has all been I would do it again in a heartbeat for two reasons already, I can wear my hair in a ponytail and not be uncomforable and take my picture (the ture test will be in public) and the fact that I am able to have my picture taken and not delete it immediately because I am hyperfocused on my nose.
Happy Bday!!

fathers day

Happy father's day to all the dads out there and the mommies pulling double duty! So last night I slept the whole nigh..woohoo! I feel great today but my nose looks huge today from swelling...ugh. This part will be a long process for me the constant changes. Eating is getting better and I can't wait to get this goofy cast off and feel human again.
You were so brave to show yourself at your birthday party, although you look great. I've only told a few people and they are the only ones that have seen me. I look a mess still. haha I have dark purple bruises under and above my eyes and a lot of swelling. Maybe tomorrow I will be brave enough to post a picture.

before and after

Today was the day where I wasn't feeling any different than before so I did a before and after to see...made me feel lots better!
I know the main focus was of your nose surgery but I couldn't help noticing how beautiful your skin is!

8 days post op

Well yesterday was by far my hardest day emotionally. I was feeling depressed and my nose felt huge. Being stuck in the house unable to exercise was also making me feel bad about my body. You name it I felt it yesterday. I guess i should mention that I always hated my nose/face so I tried to focus on my body because I could control that so I exercise and workout everyday 4 days at the gym and 3 days at home so this is hard. I tried showering that didn't help so I went for a walk. The longer I walked the better I felt. I walked about 3 miles. I did start dripping the last 20 minutes or so but I didnt have a ton of swelling and I felt so much better. Tonight I only walked a half hour but did spend time at the park with my kids. I didn't realize the effect this would have on me by not being able to do anything. Excited for when I can start running and working out again but feeling content with walking and getting out of the house for now. The only other update I have is my skin. It is usually normal to o dry and lately it is so oily I can't stand it. Not sure if anyone else is going through this or not....crazy!
Hey girl! I can totally relate to your post. I felt that way also... I felt my nose was biggggg and I was just down on myself and depressed. I was not taking that into account going into the surgery process. As for exercising I went for several walks/hikes the week I had my cast on. It helped the cabin fever that was setting in. I started exercising on week 4 after my surgery and it felt ok... Just was weary to jostle my head up and down... Anyway, can't wait to see without cast! :)
So sorry about your day! I'm sure these ups and downs are normal feelings. Try not to beat yourself up, but I totally understand. In a few months we will be over these hurdles and so happy we went through with our surgery. It sucks to have insecurities. It makes life very difficult at times. Hang in there. I think you are beautiful. Sincerely.
Aww thank you!

day 11

So things have been going ok my cast fell off so that was different. I haven't liked it much as times but I am hoping that is the swelling that is bothering me. I will say already in public. Today I ventured out and was very confident that in itself makes the surgery worth it even if it doesn't turn out just the way I hoped for. Oh and one of my best friends saw me yesterday and had no idea I had surgery.. he did look at me like something was different but never said a word.
You look great! You are so lucky to be past the hard part. My surgery is Monday and I am so scared. Looks like your bruising is gone too!
I think you look so good!!
I think your nose looks splendid! Loving how it looks! hope you post some profile pics to see it better :) it fits you so well and it's still swollen, I have this feeling your final results are going to be fantastic!!! congratulations!

day 12

Thank you for sharing your story. My nose looks a lot like yours pre-op and have been wanting rhinoplasty forever but needing the funds and still paying off my other surgery. You already look very different from the front and you do have beautiful eyes and cheekbones! It does feel like forever to get back to regular routine and exercise but then it when it happens you forget all the frustration and go back to a new and better normal. Healing takes an amazing amount of patience, hang in there. :)
You look beautiful! It's going to look SO good when the swelling goes down too. Keep us updated please!! That's so cool you felt confident venturing out! What a great feeling that must have been. My surgery is July 2nd! I agree with newlook2013, you are so lucky to be done with the surgery part. I'm really scared and nervous too. But I am hoping it will be worth it!
Aww thanks and don't worry about the surgery it really isn't that bad and you will be thrilled when it is done. Good luck!

Day 14 profile

Thanks for the update about day 3. I will definitely be careful with the dizziness. Not being able to breathe thru my nose also stinks! I haven't gotten out of bed yet and can't really seem to wake up I guess bc of the anesthesia. Just taking it one day at a time...
Your new profile picture looks great! I'm sure you are going to be so happy with final results.

day 17

Had a post op appointment today. Surgeon took pics and was extremely excited about results so far. He did say I still have a ton of swelling which is interesting becaus3 I felt like it was minimal today. ...really makes me think it will change a ton still. Although I still think its not perfect it does fit my face so much better now and I love the confidence I have now I actually can go out and not feel yucky. Yesterday I saw a lot of people I have known and been close to and one of my friends kept saying you look so different it must be your haircut I love it! She doesn't know about the surgery so this was funny to me.
You look great! I love seeing your after photos because you look so incredibly happy and confident.
That's so Funny you say that about exercising so much because you could control your body and not your nose.. I thought the EXACT same way, wow!!
You look great! Can't wait for my swelling and bruising to go away! Day 4 and I still can't seem to get out of bed and boy do I want to take a shower!! Tomorrow is my first post-op appt.

day 19

What a beautiful picture of you and your daughter. You really look good. :)
aww thanks!
Love how it looks!!!!

3 weeks ago...

3 weeks ago today was my surgery....the day I would say goodbye forever to that girl who used to hide her head from people. I have had the most amazing recover and although my nose is not that tiny little nose I envisioned in my head it fits my face perfectly. As you can see from today's pictures it is getting thinner and more defined everyday. I also have way more confidence. I no longer hide my head and hate looking in the mirror. I look at my reflection and see my eyes, cheekbones and a more confident person. I know my nose will continue to change and evolve into the finished product but for right now I couldn't be happier.
What a beautiful result. You look so happy and comfortable in your own skin. Congrats!!
Aww thank you so much it is definitely a positive change in my life!

4 weeks and one day

So today is day 29 I still can't believe how fast the time has went. My swelling is still there especially in my bridge and tip but honestly it is a million times better than my old nose so it doesn't bother me. I love looking in the mirror now and went out with friends last weekend and was confident everywhere I went. In pictures it still looks big to me but I know that will change. Yesterday was my first day back at the gym and it was a lot for me. I swelled and had pressure but I know I over did it. My excitement to be back got the best of me. I went running today and that was a ton better. The only regret I have now is not doing this 20 years ago. I also wanted to say a special thank you to everyone on this site. You have no idea what it has meant to have such an amazing support group of people who are going through the same thing as me. I have loved reading your stories, comments, and watching your progress you are all truly amazing!
Isn't it wonderful to be able to say you are happy with your nose? Just in the last few days have a finally been 100% confident I made the right choice. I feel like you and wish I would have had the surgery years ago. It's so nice to look in the mirror or be around people and not think about my nose.
Wow I will never stop saying: what a beautiful result! So natural
Awww thanks :)

5k

So yesterday was a huge day in my life....I ran my first 5k without walking even a step. I also did this by myself and volunteered multiple times to get on stage for the after party. I was confident and comfortable in my own skin and I didnt swell afterwards a win all the way around!
You look so great! & it will keep getting better :) The 5k looks like a blast! Congrats on your beautiful nose, new found confidence, and running the entire 5k!! ;) xo
Thank you!
I love your photos, you can see more confidence in you with every stage of your recovery, i love it! I'm glad that you're so pleased with your results, even this early on. You can certainly see a huge change, congratulations!

5 plus weeks

was wondering how are you doing :) :)
You look amazing! So pretty and happy! I'm really glad you were able to run in the 5k too - I know you were counting on it. And I didn't know it was a color run - that looks so fun!! :)

6 months post-op

Well it's been 6 great months. I feel amazing and am more confident than ever! Best decision of my life!
It is wonderful to hear about your new confidence. It was a pleasure to be involved in your care.
You remind me of a young mischa Barton (dislike comparing) but she's gorgeous too!
So happy for you! You (and your daughter!) look beautiful but the main thing is when you smile now your whole face is taken in and the focal point are you amazing eyes and smile!

1 year! !!

Well it will be one year in 5 days! Crazy how much my life has changed. I am more confident and self assured than I have ever been. I am so thrilled I made the decision to get this done and wish it would have been done years ago. Special thanks to Dr. Mussman, words can never say thank you enough!
So great to know about you again! I'm 1 year post op too :) you look beautiful! xx
What a great story! So happy for you, beautiful lady! :) My low confidence has always been because of my nose, this gives me hope that I can hopefully feel comfortable in my own skin someday.
Thank u for updating a year later! Its great to see your progress and, u look beautiful. Congrats to u on your success!
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon