Lumps then More Lumps, Swelling, Pain and Inflammation - Alabama

I got Sculptra Nov 2011, I had immediate lumps,...

I got Sculptra Nov 2011, I had immediate lumps, that I was told would go down, then I got a parotid gland infection one month later. No lumps went down, but swelling did. I now have many lumps coming up and they are tender and you can see them in certain light, but most people dont see them. THe biggest problem is that I have since then had RA flare ups ( I was diagnoses in Nov 2011 right before injections) and have disfigured ankles, writs and little finger. I need to see doctor for next step in RA treatment. I have been getting saline injections, been put on anti inflamatories ( taking mobic for RA anyway), antibiotics and antihistamines.. and was told lumps could take at least a year to see improvement. I don't think that the saline is working at all and I do not like to take meds. I think that I probably need to take steroids to reduce immune reaction. I was solicited by my dermatologist for the injections and I was told that RA would not be a problem. I was not told that i could get lumps because of immune response. Doc still does not think it is an immune reaction. she calls them collagen lumps.

This drug is for immune compromised people, not people with an immune response that is overactive. One should do a small test to see what happens and then come back in 6 months.

I was refunded my money.

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

It has been about 28 months now... I am continuing to have problems. I can not really tell a difference in my lumps and my left eye keeps swelling underneath. I was not injected under my eyes, but I think some of the scluptra made it up there. When I massage cream into my face sometimes it feels like crunchy grains inside under my skin. I can hear it... I don't understand exactly what it is, but it is odd. Beyond that, I had an extreme reaction to contacts. I do not think it was the solution. I put in reading bifocal contacts in my left eye, and had a reaction. it was like I was allergic to the secretions coming out of my eye. And it affected both eyes. I blame it on the scultra. My left side has always been worse and reacted more, and there seems to be a problem with drainage and swelling under my eye. I have bags, i never did before.... Beyond that, as I mentioned I had an infection in my parotid glands, and i occasionally still feel like I have a mumps sensation. I am also having swelling at the bottom of the neck, and notice a squishy sensation at my thymus, and it hurts. SO, I am headed back to the doctor...because I am afraid that this stuff is reaching beyond my face. I was told it would be gone in two years.. it is not even diminished.
Wish I had known this info before my mini facelift and Sculptra injections at the same time. I told my doctor about having RA before surgery and that I was on steroids for that condition. It didn't faze him..he went on with the surgery. Either he was clueless about what the side effects of this drug was or he just wanted my money. This was four years ago!! I been battling the side effects since. I have all of the about symptoms. I'm being treated at Johns Hopkins Medical Center now. They have done two surgeries to remove this posin from my scarred face. It seems like the surgeries make them come out fast and furiously. Never tried the hyperbaric chamber. Was told at my hospital I didn't meet the criteria to use the chamber. What kind of BS is that!! I have an attorney out of New York that has successfully settled these cases but he really wants to take mine to a jury trial since I have the physical evidence of the stuff in me. He just got a call from the FDA and they have decided they are going to call what was injected into me as a device. It's not a device it's a drug but someone is being protected. Please, please anybody with negative results from Sculptra call or write the FDA and tell them you will not agree it was a device put in you but rAther a drug. A very bad drug that is still being used today. We have to stand up for ourselves!! For some reason calling it a device makes it even harder for us to sue the manufacturer of the drug. I know it was invented by a female doctor for the sole purpose of treating terminally ill aids patients to fill in their sunken faces. It should have never been given to doctors to use as they please. I am going to ask my Dr at Johns Hopkins about the oxygen treatment. Hopefully it will help me. This has ruined my life..I can't smile anymore and I'm always in pain and itching. You see mine burst open because the dr also did a chemical peel on my face at the same time. It was thinner from being on steroids for 5 years so now when my face swells up in places it burst open and it's full of granulomas. It a terrible drug...DONT LET ANYBODY INJECT IT IN YOUR BODY!
I learned this also. When I was ruined by this product I spoke with several attorneys. Federal preemption protects FDA PMA approved class 3 medical devices from product liability. Lawyers all want the case until they learn it is a medical device. After that medical malpractice is the only way they will go. I went around and around with the FDA on this issue. It works by stimulating a remote body part (the immune system) to cause fibrosis and that is how it causes filling effect. Not by simply sitting there and occupying space as a device would.. It is at best a combination drug/device but they would not pay any attention to me.. Unfortunately big pharma wants the FDA protections extended to protect them from liability for devices that gain market approval by means other than PMA, the substantially similiar to existing device way (not protected by federal preemption), and to drugs. Then they can continue getting away with putting dangerous untested drugs and devices on the market and gain all of the profits but never be held accountable for the lives they have ruined.
Omgosh, you know way more than I do about this! That is outrageous! Is there anything we can do? I want to go to the top and argue this case! I just don't know where to start. Got any ideas? I was thinking with our senators and congressmen? I know the Seantor that respresents me is very vocal and will stand up for his constituents. I think I will start there. What we need is to get the media involved.
I feel for you. I have tried everything wrote FDA the manufacture in France Dr Oz the Doctors The View to warn people and take it off the market. It's all money involved and FDA is not on the consumers side :(
I wish I could see all of the comments that were removed. I have had swelling and lumps ever since sculptra. I was put on prednisone and antibiotics that gave temporary relief but when off the drugs it started up again. I do not know what Calkaci has as an agenda but I can see that Cream Maker is trying to warn people of the very real danger this product has. I do not have an autoimmune disease but it has made me very ill. It is like rolling the dice. Not something I would have knowingly done. I was told it is "very safe". Now I hear "You don't look that bad". It hurts and I can always feel the painful rocks under my eyes. I know the Dr should not have put it there but he was a board certified PS and he claimed he was an expert. We expect our physicians to be experts when they claim to be. I did not go to medical school and I do not inject mystery ingredients into people. It was not an emergency procedure and there was no need for the risk to be taken with my life. A very sad state of affairs. I agree with Cream Maker, that many of the physicians who have really investigated the device have decided not to use it because of the risk to patients.
Deda 11 don't listen to some people. I been there with same meds you have. Now after 3.5 years its fading fast and no meds for a year. Been taken care of a specialist face plastic surgeon he seen 100 of this effects but it will be fine you are not ruined for life.
Usually if you on very strong steroids for years that can happen. I was on and off for a year low dose. I have had everything tested and all test came back normal, so don't be scared
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

When you're posting on RealSelf, please be sure to read, understand and follow the Community Guidelines.
You may not agree with someone's review or comments, you may not like their point of view, but you do need to respect their right to share their story, without the fear of being attacked. If you don't agree with a review then by all means move on to another, but please do not continue to post negatively on someone elses review.
We do our best to ensure that all reviews are verified. If a review is published then that person deserves your support and kindness, not negativity and name calling.
Your site is good. I will close my site for now to much bad remarks from people, that doesn't understand we here to help nothing else .

Wow
Been to many people with rude disrespectful remarks on everything. I will close my profile for now, don't want to be barter with bad people. Keep up the good work wonderful site:)
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Thank you for your comments Tori21. It is good to hear from a practioner on the subject.

Stay away from Sculptra everyone. Don't know how to get the message out to everyone. Wrote Dr Oz, The Doctor's and The View

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

You are wrong he does not. Watch what you saying. People takes his name to sell health products. Shame on you talking bad about people not even having real facts
Who are you being so nasty about every one
Get your facts straight before talking bad about people
All peoples question and no Dr answer. Very sad because they don't know. They should follow Europe Dr there refuse to use Sculptra