WLS Saved My Life In More Than One Way - Akron, OH

My name is Jessica, my personal weight loss...

My name is Jessica, my personal weight loss surgery journey started on July 12, 2010 when I underwent gastric sleeve weight loss surgery as the first step in “staged” bariatric surgery process. I had my second step surgery, gastric bypass on January 14, 2013.

I was too heavy back in 2010, I had a BMI of over 65 and my surgeon also felt that I was on too many medications for my anxiety and depression, after being misdiagnosed with bi-polar disorder in 2009 for the bypass to be safe. I refuse to believe that I have failed or been unsuccessful with my first surgery. Most other Bariatric people are not aware that the sleeve can often be the first step in a two step process. Many are quick to tell me my sleeve failed since I am having a second surgery. We did the first surgery, the sleeve, to get me to a better place physically and a better place mentally so that one day when financially able I could undergo the bypass surgery to help get the largest amount of weight off.

My sleeve helped me lose about 50 pounds and go off my diabetes medications. Mentally I went from 7 psychiatric medications to being medication free. My sleeve did work, at least to me it did. My first surgery was also a difficult journey. I was hospitalized twice in the first ten months for wanting to seriously hurt myself and used to have to take seven different medications to just barely function. Some how I managed to lose about 50 pounds through all this and I have kept it off and am now living medication free. I think that’s successful considering I could have been six feet under at this point. My grand total weight loss to date is 103 pounds and losing more each month.

I had this second surgery because I want to be healthier, accomplish things I can’t do now, start my own family someday, and maybe be taken seriously by society. The people who matter are by my side and don’t judge. This is my journey and mine alone. I am doing this for me. These surgeries where the best decision I've ever made, weight loss surgery saved my life in more than one way.
Dr. John Zogragakis

Jessica, you are a wonderful success story. I talk with many people who have the sleeve first and then the bypass. 103 pounds is a lot of weight but most importantly you are getting healthier with each pound you lose. Congratulations on all of your success.
Hi Jessica, I live in San Antonio Tx and I am in the process of getting my gastric bypass surgery. I am just waiting for a surgery date. I have researched quite a bit about the surgery but I am still a bit afraid of all the complications one can have after surgery. One of my concern is do you actually loose all your hair after surgery. Please give me some advice about how you coped with issues after surgery. I have all the health issues you had and that's one of the reason I want to get the surgery. The other reason is because I have a 10yr old daughter that I would love to do alot of outdoor activities with and just enjoy her throughout my life and be able to be here when she graduates from high school. Hope to here from you soon. Your story is inspiring thanks.

I did not lose all my hair with either surgery. I had a little come out but not much nothing noticeable. I take a supplement that you can buy at the store called biotin and use the Garnier Fructis Fall Fight shampoo and strand saver spray and they work great. What specifically did you want to know about in regards about my issues? I'll answer what I can for you. :)

How is your depression and anxiety? Do you still take meds for that. How long did you have to wait in order to be able to eat normal food. Are you having any complications now.
I take a low dose Paxil at night to sleep and help with minimum anxiety but that is it. I haven't been depressed since 2011. I have had no other complications.
Thanks for your time and advice. Will keep you posted when I get my surgery date.
No problem!
I am chiming in on your post. I am 3 months out from gastric bypass and am just now seeing hair loss. It is not horrible and my surgeon told me that it does grow back. I notice it more on the bathroom floor than anyplace else and my hairdresser tells me that there is no noticeable difference on my scalp. I take Biotin which helps with hair loss but you should be aware that it does make the hair on your whole body grow also. Best of luck.

Hi there, welcome and thanks so much for sharing your journey with us!

Congratulations on your weight loss so far, you're doing a great job! I've heard about the two step process and have considered it myself, but we'll see how I do with the sleeve first of all!

Thanks for the welcome :)