About 1/4 of the Way Finished, and Loving It

I'm on trays 6 of 23 on my top and bottom, and I...

I'm on trays 6 of 23 on my top and bottom, and I have no regrets. I am 26 and am a college instructor, so I have to speak in front of judgmental college students every week. I knew that having metal braces would have affected my self esteem, which would have made me a less effective teacher. I also liked the idea of being able to take them out to eat and brush my teeth. Overall, here are my observations, and I hope they help someone who's trying to decide: 1. The first couple of days of new trays are somewhat painful. But ibuprofin helps immensely. The worst is taking them out, but I've found that it fades relatively quickly after the initial soreness. 2. The first days of having my first trays, I had a lisp. I thought it was noticeable, but no one else seemed to notice. The trays also caused some rubbing on my gums at first, but some over the counter canker-sore cream did the trick, and no more issues with that. 3. No one notices them. I do, because I know I have them, but even my husband sometimes has to ask if I have the trays in or not. And unless I tell someone I have them, they never seem to notice at all. This is a major plus! You just have to be discreet about popping them out for meals and excusing yourself to the restroom to brush. A little travel case with toothbrush/paste and floss is easy to fit in a purse, briefcase or backpack--even a pocket! 4. You don't notice any movement at first. I'm in my 12th week, and I can't see anything. But, I can feel that my bite is changing. I had pretty good-looking teeth, except for some slight crossing of my bottom front teeth, but my bite was severly occluded and was causing tooth and bone damage. I can feel that my bite feels different when I clench and chew. It'll be fun to see when they start moving the front teeth! 5. I have 8 attachments--those clear little "buttons" (4 top and 4 bottom)--and my dentist didn't put any on the front teeth to minimize the looks of them. I also have to get "adjustments" every month where they shave a little enamel from in between the teeth--doesn't hurt, just is a bit inconvenient (30 minutes or so per visit extra). 6. As with everyone, I'll have to wear retainers (i.e., the last tray) for a while after the final official session, until my teeth don't shift while the trays are out. Plus, I'll need to sleep in the trays pretty much forever. But that's no big deal since I'm a grinder anyway--they'll protect my teeth, plus you can use them for whitening. Overall, I am pumped. I think they are great and I highly recommend them if you get a good dentist who listens to you and explains everything up front. They won't be invisible to you, but they will be to everyone else...just don't expect it to be painless. :-)

Thanks for the feedback on invsalign. I am having my first tray put in July 2! I have crowded teeth on the bottom which overlap and one of my front teeth has been pushed up (also from crowding). So it looks like one of my front teeth is broken, because it looks shorter than the other. Let me say that I had metal braces from the age of 9 to age 18. Yup, 9 years (1974 - 1983). But somewhere along the line my teeth reverted back, I guess. I don't remember being told to where a retainer after braces. Oh well. So, here I am at 45 getting braces again. I have already put my 2 boys through braces and now its my time! I am one of those people who doesn't like to smile because my teeth make me self conscious. I look forward to having beautiful teeth. Price: Connecticut $7,500.00 for 12 months of treatment and 18 months of 0% financing. Payments: $279 month.
Hi Bethann, Can you please tell me the name and contact information of your orthodontist? I just had a visit with one today who told me it would be over $7,000 for invisalign...and my problem is very minor.
heeej i'm looking 4 a doctor and a nice price in same time....so can u recomend me yours?and where is it...thanx a lott ivana
I am one week into my invisalign. I'm so glad I found this site to post remarks. To spidermanfan16, I had always wanted to do something about my crooked teeth. My parents couldn't afford braces when I was young. Both of my kids had had braces (metal kind), and encouraged me to also. With the kids, though, dental insurance helped pay for them. Since my dental insurance doesn't pay for any adult ortho (that I don't understand since this would be preventative in my mind for future dental problems), I went with a Health care financing solution that my ortho suggested. Basically, it is 18 month no interest financing. Yes, the monthly payment is high, but I decided to invest in myself. Oh, yes, I'm also 50 years old, and my treatment is scheduled for a year.
Bethann, Thank you for your helpful review. I was glad to learn more about invisalign as I have been considering getting them. I am very self concious about my smile because of my teeth. The only thing hindering me from getting them is the cost of them. I was wondering what payment plans you did and if you know of others. Thank you.
Thank you very much bethann. I have just had my records and molding done today, and I am up in the air about invisalign or metal braces. Your posting has by far been the most helpful in making my final decision. I really appreciate you taking the time to post your experience. I will keep you posted on my progress.