Stay Away from Sculptra, It Has Ruined my Eyes

For a quick touch up under my eyes for Bags...

I am a 38 year old male who's social life is all but over. I have tried setroid injections, surgery to remove the sculptra but he could not get it all out. I am going to have to have some type of surgery in order to correct the unevenness of my messed up eyes but the New Dr.said they won't ever be the same.

I am sure I am not the only one.

Unhappy in Atlanta GA

I will submit an offical rating once we have a...

I will submit an offical rating once we have a meeting with Dr. Sinhato see what he is willing to. I had a surgery from another Dr to remove the remainder or most of the sculptra in Oct 2009 and after the long healing process the bags are so much worse but at least most of the sculptra is out. I am hoping Dr Sinha will keep his word from our conversation a few months ago and do whatever it takes to lift these bags. I do not believe the redness will ever go away. Sculptra is NOT meant for under the eyes.

For a little touchup and $25k worth of surgeries...

For a little touchup and $25k worth of surgeries to fix this I am still not satisfied. Sculptra should never have been injected under my eyes

Now 42 and still not happy with. Better but will...

Now 42 and still not happy with. Better but will never be near the same. To much damage was done from the injections and 1st sculptra removal surgery by Dr. Sinha. 5 years 3 surgeries and if I could go back in time I would have never done anything.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

It has ruined my eyes. My eyes are uneven and I have lumps under the skinUpdated on 21 Nov 2011:For a quick touch up under my eyes for Bags supposedly a better otion than surgery, It has been over 2 years and my Eyes look like crap. I had to have surgery to remove the sculptra because it hardened and turned into lumpy nodules. My eyes uses to be my best feature and now my worst. As of 2008 I am a 38 year old male who's social life is all but over. I have tried setroid injections, surgery to remove the sculptra but he could not get it all out. I am going to have to have some type of surgery in order to correct the unevenness of my messed up eyes but the New Dr. said they won't ever be the same. STAY AWAY FROM SCULPTRA. I have written them many emails and they have never responded. They need to be held accountable. I am sure I am not the only one. Unhappy in Atlanta GA Updated on 11 Feb 2011: I will submit an offical rating once we have a meeting with Dr. Sinha to see what he is willing to. I had a surgery from another Dr to remove the remainder or most of the sculptra in Oct 2009 and after the long healing process the bags are so much worse but at least most of the sculptra is out. I am hoping Dr Sinha will keep his word from our conversation a few months ago and do whatever it takes to lift these bags. I do not believe the redness will ever go away. Sculptra is NOT meant for under the eyes. He has done nothing YTD.

The product is so subtle, its interesting to that some have had large/measurable reactions. I've been getting it regularly since 2006 and have had 10 vials (maybe more) over the years. No issues whatsoever. My doctor USED to include the under eye hollow in my treatment, which I LOVED. There is a very small percentage of people who don't react well to the product near the eye. Unfortunately, it means that doctors stopped using for the eye area altogether, even for people who have never had anything but good results from it. A probable key to success is the proper dilution (I like mine highly diluted) and spacing the treatments far enough apart. PS: I'm shopping for a more cost effective and less subtle solution. So while I defend the overall results and safety of this product, I am not sure that it is the best alternative compared to more cost effective and predictable solutions.
so many of you being unkind, what are your issues here?
I honestly never had any issues with sculptra, every one is different. maybe you can do a sample test before hand
Hi - I'm new to this site but was motivated to write as I have had two treatments of sculptra - one two months ago and another one month ago. I now have developed a nodule at the top of one cheek (near eye) and my face is already beginning to look overblown. It's so scary - and reading these stories makes me wish I'd never done it :(
There is a recent article on pubmed dated October 2013, Inflammatory, immune-mediated adverse reactions related to soft tissue dermal fillers. (Sculptra is one of the greatest offenders) Everyone should be warned that these complications are "difficult to manage" and can dysregulate your entire immune system (makes you ill). Stick with Hyaluronic Acid fillers they have far fewer problems and are temporary. I am almost 6 years with sculptra problems and a sarcoid like systemic reaction and a localized granulomatous reaction at injection sites. "All known fillers present in the market have been shown to be able to provoke early- and late-onset inflammatory adverse reactions. Their true prevalence is unknown but appears to be significant. The majority of the late-onset adverse effects are inflammatory and immune-mediated in nature. Edema, granulomas, sarcoid-like disorders, and panniculitis are the findings most commonly seen. Rarely, systemic granulomatous and autoimmune diseases, and to lesser extent acute hypersensitivity reactions can be seen. CONCLUSIONS: All implanted, injected, and blood-contact biomaterials trigger a wide variety of adverse reactions that may appear early or late and range from local to systemic. Most fillers act more as adjuvants than as direct T-cell activators, on a background of genetic predisposition. Their treatment has not been the subject of well-designed studies. Management of both acute and systemic reactions is often difficult and requires anti-inflammatory and occasionally immunosuppressive therapy." It is all good and great until the unthinkable happens to you and then you have to deal with an illness that was injected into you by a physician and a drug company that uses the FDA and politicians as puppets, threatening to move jobs unless they get their way. Most of the Positive publications found about injectable poly l lactic acid (Sculptra) a hydrophobic persistent polyester particles, are written by physicians who were acting as "consultants" to the manufacturer. There is little incentive for studies that evaluate complications. In fact until very recently these "consultants" did not even need to disclose that they have been paid thousands of dollars to publish favorable "articles". Find out if your trusted physician gets money from by looking them up at "Dollars for Docs" on the propublica web site. Look at adverse events on the FDA MAUDE online database. Literally thousands of serious adverse events have been reported from sculptra. I am glad that those currently happy with their treatment are in fact happy. However, I really do think the warnings about the actual frequency and severity of these unfixable complications need to be provided to anyone considering this course of action. I was told it was "very safe" and "natural collagen production", never given one single risk and they all say they never had any problem or that the problems are old news and they have changed the formulation.... great... why did they change it if it was so perfectly safe? I trust that time will tell just how safe sculptra is. Another problem is when people develop late infections and inflammations and systemic conditions and they do not fess up that they had cosmetic injections. Sometimes they do not even remember what kind of stuff was injected. It is not until confronted with a biopsy showing inflammatory cells and refractile particles (foreign body response) that they say oh, well I did not think that could be the problem. Unfortunate but true.
Some people here talk as if they represent the Sculptra manufacturer. Bodies are different and react differently to the same product. Penicilin is a wonderful drug that has saved many lives but some people are allergic to it and may die; if they dont know that and take it when prescribed by a doctor, it does not make them dumb. These things should be tested in each patient prior to injecting on their faces. That shouldnt be difficult to do. A little injection on the forearm and a follow up after few months could be helpful.
I would like to thank this community for the posts. I am from Brazil and was recommended sculptra by my doctor, but will not do it. I always check things like that. Better be safe than sorry. Thanks to the brave people who, in spite of all the suffering, are willing to warn other people. You defenitelty helped in my decision. I wish you manage to solve the horrible reactions that sculptra cause you.
That's really sad. I had a great experience with Sculptra - just my cheek hollows and my doctor absolutely refused to go near the eyes and said it was not suitable for that region. Your doctor sounds very incompetent.
I wish my doctor had done the same. I now have a nodule under my eye/top of cheek area.
I am so sorry you had such a terrible experience with Sculptra. I just joined the site and was about to start a forum praising Sculptra in my tear troughs as the best thing that I have done for my appearance. I knew before I had the procedure that it was essentially irreversible and so researched the physician thoroughly and followed the instructions for the post-procedure almost hourly massages of the injected area, to the letter. I am now 1 year out post procedure and I swear my under-eye hollows are completely gone and look and feel completely natural. I used to joke all the time how I looked like a war victim because of my eye hollows and now I don't ever even think about concealers or make up for underneath my eyes. I think that with a well trained physician who injects in the appropriate location, Sculptra can be a God sent.
I would not suggest anything in the area just UNDER the eyes. Very dangerous as many doctors have noted on this web site..
Once you pass about 65, you need a facelift and a neck lift. Injectables won't do the trick any longer. People typically have too much loose skin at that point and it is usually quite noticeable. Dematologists claim they can use injectables, but the result is not good and they make your lower face look square instead of oval. Quite unattractive and obvious.
A good doctor can produce a very natural surgical result and it is theoretically possible to avoid visible scars, with none in front of your ears. (The latter are one of the worst tell-tale signs of plastic surgery. ) With surgery you suffer from a sense of feeling swollen for a couple of months but it's not very painful.
Stay away from amateurs, LifeStyle Lifts, spas, nurses, and doctors who are not well known. If they are any good, they get well known pretty quickly. Do not economize on your face. A really dumb strategy..
If I had it to do over again, I would have had a modest neck/chin correction in my mid- 50s. It's often called "a poor man's facelift". It staves off the aging effects of jowls and a loosening jaw line.
I tyotally agree with Randall651. Scuptra is NEVER to be used near the eye area. That area is best served by Restylane or Radiessor Dysport, not Sculptra! I must admit that Scupltra can be trickly, I often think my eyes are uneven in size. It is not obvious. It very much depends on the skill of your doctor. Medical spas are a no no! Sculptra and other fillers are superior to surgery, because they give you a natural look, not the pulled back tightened look a a facelift.
I wish sculptra had given me a natural look.. 8 weeks out and I already look over-blown. It's such a nightmare :(. I also have developed a nodule
After one treatment? I didn't know that was possible. I didn't see one bit of difference until after 2 treatments and several months out. What areas are "over blown"?
I had two treatments - spaced 4 weeks apart. Six weeks after my second treatment I had very noticeable results - blown out in cheeks and temples. Also have a nodule and flu-like symptoms/achy joints
What is kencort? May I ask where the Sculptra was injected in your face?
Sure, it was injected in my cheek area and the lines from my nose to my mouth. Kennacort is a steroid injection. The doctor first tried water but that didnt work.
I had sculptra injected almost 2 years ago. After 6 months I developed a lump in my cheek and a couple on my cheekbone. I've had them injected with kenacort twice a year. They disappear for a little while but continually return. There is another lady worse of then me (larger and more protruding lumps). Please stay away from these dermal fillers unless you are willing to take a risk. In the meantime, I think there will enough people who are experiencing these problems to start a class action against the manufacturers. These products must be banned!
I completely agree. I have developed a nodule under my eye/top of cheek - and it's only 4 weeks since sculptra was last injected. I'm now v worried about what's to come. Thanks for your wise posting.
"Used in Europe for 15 years prior" or "Just some safe cosmetic injections", or the old marketing slogan was the the "Liquid facelift". The woman who is now blinded per the last maude database, wouldn't agree. The best is Manufacturer's Narrative: PLLA (aka Sculptra) played a casual role. .
Randall 651 I was injected over 2 years ago with/by the Sanofi/sculptra rep/certified board plastic surgeon and 2 board certified plastic surgeons He injected and supervised. I looked wonderful for 7 months. I have been living in this nightmare as Atlanta guy and many others. You are lucky that you are spared from the constant excisions of granulomas. the constant cellulitis and papules . Our immune system is shot due to our bodies trying to eradicate this PLLA Seriously isn't one persons harmed/ reaction enough ? How many faces have to be harmed ? Please go to the Maude Data Base on the FDA site. I ham happy you are okay but please be a little sympathetic to the rest of us who are highly educated and trusted our highly educated doctors to believe this product was safe .Also, I do not know when you were injected but in the 28 pages I was given by Sanofi/Sculptra of the delayed onset effects- some were not seen for over a year and a half. So I wish you well. PLEASE A LITTLE COMPASSION! THANK YOU

Our goal at RealSelf is to provide a place where people feel comfortable sharing their experiences and real stories. Presenting differing opinions is great, but I need to ask that everyone be respectful of others with your comments and postings. If you are not able to comply with that please refrain from posting.

If you have any questions you are welcome to review our Community Guidelines, contact our Support Center, or send me a private message.

Check my comments, since you are such a superior human being Randall, I am sure you can figure how to do that. I posted on her sculptra not worth it today. She is keeping us updated on how bad ait can be when you had the sculptra guru do you. And last Randall you think you are so smart. Good luck to you.
Randall651, why is it that a patient of acclaimed scuulptra guru Rebecca Fitzgerald MD, LA Calif. Has posted on this site that she has lumps that have not gone away after 2 years? Did the dr have a bad day that day?
I agree with Megan that it is a bit harsh to say people get what they deserve with Sculptra. There are a lot of quacks out there and anybody can make a mistake in judgment. I only know my Dr. through past experience and it has been positive so far. I do not claim superior knowledge. I can only testify using my experience.