A Worthy Investment - Quakertown, PA

At age 61, I got tired of having to photo edit...

At age 61, I got tired of having to photo edit pictures in which I was smiling: airbrushing a twisted tooth, removing a shadow cast by a protruding tooth, etc.

Oh what the heck. I simply wanted straight teeth and as one ages, the teeth migrate forward and push the front teeth out of alignment. My upper two front teeth began folding and overlapping. My laterals turned sideways.Even the upper and lower arches became narrowed.

Bottom teeth became crowded and overlapped. I thought if that could just be fixed, I'd be happy. What I didn't realize was that I had quite an overbite and crossbite.

I look at my teeth now, even before treatment is complete, and I say, "wow! I love this!" Even my lips have taken on a better shape. They're not puckered like they used to be.

As my teeth went into alignment, I now realize why I previously had yellowing. Crooked, twisted teeth don't get the full benefit of tooth brushing. Everyone asks me now if I had my teeth whitened. Nope. My brush is simply able to do its job.

Longtime friends and my family will comment, "I never realized you had such a nice/pretty smile." Hello?
I have a nice smile because my teeth are being straightened. And yes, they know I have Invisalign but just haven't put two and two together. LOL

The attachments/buttons are the downside because they are visible. Two kept breaking off, but truly, that's the only downside.

Since my initial review, I have become...

Since my initial review, I have become disenchanted with my Invisalign. My treatment began in October 2010 and was to be complete by July 2011.

That hasn't happened. In fact, a whole new treatment plan has begun for my upper teeth and that will be another nine months for completion.

It's like starting at ground zero.

The scenario and timeline has thus been:

* Teeth were to be totally aligned by July 2011
* Mission accomplished for bottom teeth
* Mission not accomplished for the upper teeth.
* Upper laterals [those on each side of the 2 front teeth] were still twisted.
* New impressions were taken and sent to Invisalign. New liners arrived with an end date of 3 months.
* Four months later, the laterals were still twisted.
* Another set of impressions and photos sent to Invisalign.
* Invisalign develops a whole new action plan.
* Old attachments removed. New attachments placed.
* So it's a whole new round of wearing aligners for another 9 months.
* Essentially starting at ground zero with the upper teeth.

The explanation was that Invisalign has been having difficulty getting twisted laterals aligned and has addressed the problem with placing more attachments on adjacent teeth.

For me, it includes nine attachments on the upper teeth, including two attachments on the same front tooth.

While I'm not being charged by my dentist for the new treatment plan, it is nevertheless daunting to have to begin anew. I know my dentist is taking a financial loss.

My dentist has been doing traditional orthodontia for at least 18 years and achieved superb results with my daughter. She is diligent about ongoing dental/medical training modalities and is a preferred Invisalign provider as a result of her Invisalign training.

I am diligent about wearing my aligners.

Despite my judicious oral hygiene including brushing my teeth 3 times a day, flossing daily, and having my usual twice annual dental cleanings and exams, I developed a gumline cavity on a bottom molar.

I haven't had a cavity since my early teens and I'm 61 years old.

In my initial review, I gave a definite thumbs up about Invisalign treatment. I'm going to change it now to "undecided."

Two of my children, as well as my grandson, had the traditional orthodontia with the wire braces and results were achieved within the planned timeframe.

In hindsight [at least for now], I wish I had chosen traditional orthodontia. Neither of my children, nor my grandson, developed any cavities whatsoever during their treatment. And they certainly weren't as diligent in brushing and flossing as I am.

Allentown Cosmetic Dentist

I gave three stars for phone responsiveness because I would have preferred talking to my dentist rather than explaining my concerns/questions through the receptionist and getting a call back from the receptionist with the answer.

Happy to hear an update from you, but really wish it was better news. :(

I can completely understand how you would be bummed by having to go another 9 months. It is good that your dentist isn't charging you extra for the treatment though.

Please keep us updated on what you are seeing movement wise from those laterals.

It sounds like this is really making some good & noticable changes for you - how exciting!!

I know you mentioned you were near the end of treatment, do you mind me asking how long you have already been wearing them?

I began with 19 liners in October 2010 and July was to be my end date. However, the upper laterals still had a twist to them and there was still an overbite ... better than when I started, but nevertheless, my dentist took additional molds and photos and sent them to Invisalign. I received 4 additional liners for the top teeth and wear my retainer 24/7 on the bottom teeth.

I will ask my dentist for copies of the photos she took prior to treatment and will have her take photos when treatment is complete. It'd definitely going to be a wow! moment.

Awesome - can't wait to see the photos!!

I'm glad your dentist did the additional trays for you, can't wait to see how they look!