Microdermabrasion: Great for Acne Scars!

Right at the outset, I must state that...

Right at the outset, I must state that microdermabrasion is a procedure that needs to be thoroughly and meticulously researched by YOU, before you take that "first step"; make absolutely certain that you are a potential candidate—or you'll end up with an "unhappy face."

To begin, I will address the issue of cost; this absolutely depends on where you live. I currently live in Thailand and one microdermabrasion costs only $16! (I put $100 above since that's what it normally costs.) Of course, the first question that comes to mind is "How is it so cheap?"—simple: cost of living. Thailand can offer the best and most advance medical treatment because of the oppressed standard of living here—blame the IMF, UN, and Bush's cousin Obama—but I won't get political for the sake of brevity. Anyway, I'm from New York—where EVERYTHING is expensive—and I know that virtually EVERYTHING is overpriced in America, so the same $150 microdermabrasion in New York can be performed at a fraction of the cost elsewhere. Remember: price is a factor but NOT the only factor—so do your research!

My reason for microdermabrasion: I have superficial scars and a few deeper scars from adolescent acne that I wanted to minimize—notice that I wrote "minimize," not eliminate. (By the by, if you have active acne, don't do microdermabrasion—just wait!) I've decided on microdermabrasion, simply because it's not invasive—only takes away the dead layer of skin (3-5 microns NOT 10)—requires no downtime, can be performed on my Asian skin without worry of hyperpigmentation, is quite inexpensive—because of where I live—and has no real side effects. Some might say that pain is a side effect of microdermabrasion but that can be further from the truth; the procedure actually feels great, as it comfortably takes away all of the grime and tenebrous crap off of your beautiful skin. If pain is the same sensation as a cat licking your face, then you really have other problems...

Now to the nitty-gritty: I've scheduled 6 microdermabrasions, spaced one week apart, to be completed during the next two months. I had my first one performed yesterday. The first step is cleaning your face, which they will do for you as preparation. Next, they will cover your eyes, in order to prevent debris from entering and collecting. Third, the technician will move the wand on your skin, over and over, up and down, left and right. My technician asked me several times if I felt any pain; my reply was "No" each time. Per my request, the technician went over my scars several times to "sand" them down; each pass felt great, inducing in me the hope that my scars will finally be gone. Fourth, I'm done! I made my way to the mirror anxiously and to my surprise—and delight—my skin looks great! In fact, my skin wasn't even red at all! I looked closely to see a lot of the scars actually reduced, just after that one microdermabrasion; even the deeper scars have decreased, though not completely, of course. Overall, my skin looks very smooth and healthy, as if I've just had a treatment done—which I did. :)

In conclusion, microdermabrasion is definitely a great option, a great "first step" for those looking to minimize acne scars and improve overall skin texture, tone, and complexion. Keep in mind that it will not solve everything, as subsequent visits are required to get the "look" that you want—or as close to it as possible.

If you have deeper scars, you might wish to try MicroLaserPeel, which is like a microdermabrasion on steroids; it goes deeper but not too invasive, anywhere from 10-80 microns deep, though 20 is the norm. As for downtime, the microdermabrasion is known as "The Lunch-time Peel," whereas the MicroLaserPeel is known as "The Weekend Peel." You can infer that the downtime for MicroLaserPeel will be about 2-3 days, more for deeper peels—CIA Google for more information.

Summarily, I wanted to write this post after my 6th treatment but I got too excited after my first, so I will provide an update after my final treatment—clear skin here I come!

Siam Laser Clinic

helped reduce my acne scars, even the ice-pick scars; my skin is much smoother and healthier, with better overall texture, tone, and complexion—after just one treatment! Not invasive, inexpensive—in Thailand, at least—safe on ethnic skin, no real side effects—not even pain.

Hi, I'd like to get in contact with you to talk about the Siam Laser Clinic in BKK, as I am thinking of going there soon, but can't find much info online about it unfortunately. Can you e-mail me on toveviva@gmail.com? Thank you!
The newer microdermabrasion technologies of the past few years can give more profound results since instead of an micro-abrasive spray of granules, the device has a fixed-diamond tip head, (similar to standard dermabrasion hand engines). You can combine this with TCA 20% for melasma and post pregnancy pigmentation, and staged-repeat sessions for light scarring of the face. While the device denudes the stratum corneum which can be at at depth averaging 10u or so, I have seen patients coming in to the office with light scarring and pigmentation from this method, where perhaps repeat and deep pressure microabrasion has resulted in deep epidermal erosion down to 100u. While good for all skin types, it comes down to patient selection: geographic ethnic origin,medication usage,skin sensitivity, skin preparation, operator experience, layers of abrasion, and post peel care (including strict avoidance of sun and too early institution of exfoliating skin care products).
I'm up to my 3rd microdermabrasion and my scars have diminished dramatically—even the deep ones. In fact, many of my previous superficial acne scars are gone—good riddance! I am more than certain that you can do it on the body, though it might be more expensive, especially in NY. Speaking of NY, I chose not to do it there because it's way too expensive, since you'll have to do at least 6. I've only had them performed in Thailand, but again, as aforementioned in my original post, the microdermabrasion is Thailand is the same as anywhere else, since they use the same technology and the same machines. I believe my clinic uses DermaCrystal. The only thing that I regret is not taking pictures to juxtapose the "before and after," because the improvements really would have made me cry for joy. I may be hyping up microdermabrasion but I would hype up anything if it worked even better than I expected! :)
Heys, I read your post and it really helped me on deciding if microdermabrasion is right for me or not. I was wondering does the microdermabrasion work on acne scars on the body or just the face, as I quite a bit on my body that I want to get rid of..Also did you get all your microdermabrasion done in thailand or did u get one visit in thailand and finished the rest in the USA? Thanks! -Calvin, NY