Dissatisfied in Denver - LSL Fiasco

I had wanted to have a facelift for some time. I...

I had wanted to have a facelift for some time. I went to several consultations and finally decided on LSL. I wish I had known about realself prior to my surgery. I decided on a lower facelift, chin lipo and upper and lower eyelids.

My procedure was scheduled for noon on 1-16-09. I arrived and was taken to the room. The technician took my blood pressure. She was concerned because it was 188/120. I was really surprised it had been pretty normal for months. I waited to speak to the Dr. about whether to reschedule when my BP was lower. The Dr. came in, never said anything to me about the BP, but handed me 2 pills and said it would help with my BP. I wasn't told what I was taking but it knocked me out.

I awoke to him finishing up my right side, he had already done my chin and the left side. I felt him injecting the anesthetic into my brow area as he began working on my eyes. It was not pleasant. I could smell the flesh burning as it was being cauterized. As he finished my eyelids, I could feel a lot of pressure on my left lower jaw area. Apparently, a blood vessel had burst and the lower left side of my face was filling up with blood. He had to open up the sutures, sop up the blood and find the leak so he could stop it. I could feel the blood on my throat and chest. I was writhing in pain, but he said he couldn't give me any more anesthetic because he had already used the allotted amount. It was excruciating! I was trying to lie still because I did not want anything worse to happen, but I did kick my legs a lot. I was so worried about bleeding to death in that chair. There is no emergency equipment in those rooms.

He finsihed up and they wrapped me up. He explained to me that he had to put a drain in behind my left ear to allow for fluids to escape and to avoid more swelling.

It was after 5PM when I left the clinic. My friend who picked me up overheard the doctor saying he hadn't even had time yet to eat lunch and he had more surgeries to go.

Photo Update

Dr. Yang

There is no way I could have gone back to work immediately after this procedure. It took 5 hours! Do it on your lunch hour my ass. The swelling and bruising was horrendous. I took a week off and had the procedure on the first day. Most of my face was a deep purple for two weeks. I work in a kids' store and was concerned about scaring them with the condition of my face.

OMG! What a horrible experience. Thank you for sharing.
OMG!
Did they say you could go back to work immediately after your procedure? No, they didn't did they....so maybe you shouldn't present your "case" as though this was promised to you when it wasn't. Just sayin'.
WOW Mt, I am soooo sorry that happened to you. I almost feel lucky compared to what you endured. Doing a surgery on someone with a BP that high is Nuts!Maybe one of the docs here can comment, but isn't that almost at a possible stroke level? I hope you make a full recovery& please take care of that high B.P....
I am glad I could help someone make a more informed decision. What happened to me probably won't happen to everyone, but had I known prior to undergoing the procedure, I would have gone with a private surgeon. Incidentally, the surgeon who worked on me is in private practice in Denver and is board certified.
Im so glad u were willing to take the time to share your nightmare! I have an appt for wed. And WILL be cancelling! Thank you again and im so sorry you had to go through this experience!
Thank you for the courage it took to post this story. I was intrigued by the infomercials and quite astonished by the results of the "models". The procedure seemed easy enough and I was truly considering having it done by a doctor in Denver. Your photos were a blessing for me as I will probably save some more money and see a board certified surgeon for the work I desire.
Good God.. You should sue!
Wire in your your face? What's that all about?
I should have done more research. I checked a few sources and liked what I found, so I went ahead. I too believe I was lucky that I didn't die on that table. I was shocked that he went ahead with the procedure. After speaking with the nurse, I was ready to reschedule, but was not give that choice.

Thank you for sharing your story. I cannot believe the cost of these LSL and the pain they cause. Anything foreign going into my body signals "Red Flags", but woman are trusting and believe in these Doctors. They really should be held accountable, before someone dies. I can't believe a couple of pills for this type of surgery was expected to get you through. What a nightmare. Dr. Blinski is correct. You should of had a conventional face-lift. I was just quoted a price,along with reversion eye lid surgery and it's only few hundred more.Plus this is with an Anesthesiologist to put me under and monitor my breathing. A very important task. I must say,I think your eyes look good and he did a good job from what is shown. Wasn't aggressive. Unfortunitly, it appears you will have to go under the knife again if you want this corrected. That's what frightens me the most. A good plastic Surgeon will also have you take an EKG, and chest X Ray to make sure you are a good candidate for any surgery. With you B.P. as high as it was, your lucky you woke up, my Dear. But I'd get that wire or whatever it is, taken out of your face. The long term affects of this type of lift is not good and why it was banned once before. I've said it time and time again, and won't stop until these pictures and stories stop. Do your homework on all procedures,and all that's involved. Homework your doctor too. If nothing comes up keep trying. Usually if the doctor has negative ratings,it will appear. Positive not so much.There are testimonials on those sights too, with pictures to tell there story.Like here, some good ,some unimaginable. There is just too much information out here today for this to keep happening. There are some fine, experienced and skilled physicians,that take pride in there work. However, it is still your responsibility to make a wise choice. If you don't, these are your consequences. I made my mistake 7 years ago,and I'm still paying today. Best wishes to you, and hope things work out. This is a good place to start.

2 women that I know of have died from complications of the LSL. One in FL and one up north I think. The stories have somehow disappeared from the net??? Wonder Why???
I had a great experiance and any surgery can go wrong I think the majority go right but people that are happy stop looking on the web sites and dont bother to comment.
Thank you so much for sharing your story. I was so intrigued by their commercials, I was starting to research having this done. I almost got physically sick after reading what you went through. I will not be looking into this any further. Thank You for saving me this torture.
Thank you for posting your pictures. I agree with everything said about seeking out 2nd opinions and really comparing apples to apples. The thing about the LSL marketing machine is that they will tell you that their lift WILL address all of your problems. That is the sad FACT of it all. I do hope you find some relief in knowing you are not the only person who fell for the hype. Best to you, Chrsytal Eckes.
I did consult with a Board Certified Plastic surgeon, after the fact. He basically told me exactly the same thing. I feel lucky, in some respects, that the surgeon who did perform the procedure used small sutures and the scarring is minimal. That surgeon, too, is a Board Certified Plastic surgeon, who was in private practice and has since returned to it.
There is a lot of confusion about board certification. Most Lifestyle lift surgeons claim to be board certified. BUT they are board certified by American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. The American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery is NOT recognized by American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) only the American Board of Plastic Surgery is recognized by the ABMS.

Sorry to say YOU WERE NEVER a CANDIDATE for the LSL. You, from the photos, needed, in my opinion, a Full Face/Neck SMAS lift. Plus a hypertensive patient with that preoperative bp SHOULD have NEVER been operated on. The sad fact is you had other consultations. I bet they were more in tune with a more expensive and aggressive face lifting? But the old adage is you get what you pay for, but you really over paid! LSF saw you coming. I wish you would go see a Board certified Plastic surgeon to help you. Get a realistic opinion. Than try to understand the choices you made and maybe help others in understanding facial cosmetic surgery is not like buying a dress. Do research, see 2 or 3 boarded surgeons in their own practices (not working for a company), check out internet sites like realself.com, etc, Call the American Society of Plastic Surgeons or Facial Plastic Surgeons. This can help determine who really can safely preform a facelift (mini or full type). Regards and sorry for your problems. Dr. Blinski, Miami

Thanks Doc for posting the most powerful statement that you could: LSL saw us coming! Not only that, I bet comparing apples to apples with other surgeons I bet the pricing for the same type of procedure would have been within say what -- $500 dollars and she could have been put to sleep to boot. Please ladies, really do your research, get past the hype and advertising and really research your doctor. Best, Chrystal Eckes
I should have said research your Doctor and the Procedure also.