I Now Have TMJ for Life

I am going into my second year of college and...

I am going into my second year of college and first got invisalign when I was a sophomore in high school.

After weeks of wearing the trays, my mouth literally locked open one night from all the tension and from there on out I have had a constant cracking that occurs every time I open my mouth. 12 weeks of invisalign and this is what I get: TMJ, thousands of dollars spent on a TMJ specialist, and I am currently going to physical therapy three times a week. Also, my bite is completely off center. Not to mention my teeth have shifted back to their original position.

All in all it was a complete waste of money, pain, and time.

Dr. Charles Pfister

Not enough knowledge on invisalign whatsoever.

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

I think a good ortho/dentist should bring this up with you prior to any treatment
I dislocated my jaw about 4 years ago one morning when my muscles were really relaxed and i yawned. As funny as that is looking back, I really hope this doesn't occur again while using invisalign. I had my assessment today and my jaw clicked when the ortho was taking the impressions. Is this often a problem with invisalign? If i have a predisposition now to a clicking jaw do you think it would be worse? Should I bring this up with my dentist??
Orthodontics can set up favorable conditions for TMJ to develop. However, orthodontics can often correct those conditions as well. The most important aspect of preventing TMJ is to get a stable bite. This means that Invisalign is not always an option. When selecting an orthodontist, do not push him to do thing he knows is not ideal. If they tell you Invisalign is not for you, don't do it.

Good advice Marlowkc, it is best to let the expert be the expert, and if you are concerned with their suggestions seek a second, or even third opinion.

Can Tmj discomfort be a problem after you wear braces and/or palette expander? how many have had braces/palette expander then develop tmj discomfort?
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW: If everyone who experiences 'clicking" (tmj type symtoms) If you have every had braces and/or a palete expander? this info. could shed some light if ortho treatment can cause tmj discomfort.
I now have tmj and had braces put on twice and a pallet expander. Could be linked.
i have TMJ and the doctors say that in most cases if you get it it can be from anything... like you slept on it wrong, you ate something too chewy of stressed out your jaw too much. You are likely to be born with a deficiency and that you were likely to get it at some point in life from something.
althought i get TMJ is a serious problem, if it was caused because of all the pressure wouldnt you have gotten it from regular braces too? i dont know if it can be blamed on the product. Have you ever had tmj problems before? my ortho asked me several questions about jaw cracking and locking, did yours ask you similar questions?
I was able to fix TMJ myself within a couple days by using trigger point massage on the muscles of the jaw. Look for the "trigger point massage therapy workbook" at amazon.com. it really worked for me. Thanks for posting your comments about invisalign. i have been thinking about getting it and now I am not so sure.
Not it's not.
I am in my first month of invisalign and I am not very impressed. It is not as comfortable as I had hoped it would be and I have not been able to wear them when I am awake for more than a couple hours. I think it causes tension. I CAN successfully sleep with them, but my orthodontist says that is not enough time to do the job. I have had TMJ for many years and this is an attempt to help that condition. I can see how invisalign could make TMJ worse; it is changing your bite, and maybe not for the best. Invisalign is not the sunshine and roses you see on their commercials. Be very careful, and do not let a doctor do something to your teeth that makes you uncomfortable. I would also recommend finding an orthodontist that specializes in adults; my doctor's staff is not having a very good time dealing with me, but I am only advocating for myself and protecting myself. Also, if you have TMJ go to a TMJ doctor and ask their opinion of Invisalign. That is my next step. I can live with slightly crooked teeth if I can chew my food and not have my jaw lock up.