Fraxel Re:Pair NIGHTMARE! Hyperpigmentation, Severe Redness, Laser Track Marks! - California

I am hispanic with tan skin. I am one month post...

I am hispanic with tan skin. I am one month post fraxel repair and the treated area is still very red, with hyperpigmented spots (brown spots) and laser track marks. Please-in specific detail-tell me what to do for this!

This is not the "walk in the park" that I was told it would be! Should I begin Tri-luma? Renova? What is going to make my skin color and texture normal again? It's horrible, dark and bruised looking, and bumpy with laser track marks; it looks very wrinkled and discolored! No make-up can even begin to make me look even semi-normal, not even Jane Iredale! My life has completely stopped and I've been in hiding for 30 days now...please help me!

Please help me end this nightmare and get my normal life back.

2 YEARS POST FRAXEL REPAIR: Because of Fraxel...

2 YEARS POST FRAXEL REPAIR:

Because of Fraxel Repair, I now have skin that looks like an orange peel, scarring caused by the laser, lots of "fine lines" and holes in my skin that resemble enlarged pores. My HYPERpigmentation has faded. However, I have spots of HYPOpigmentation (loss of pigment). ALL of this is PERMANENT LASER DAMAGE! I had NONE of these issues BEFORE Fraxel.

So what's there to do??? NOTHING! Because the truth is, there's NOTHING out there that will ever restore my skin to what it was BEFORE Fraxel destroyed it. I can continue to take more risks and have more laser surgery, but it will more than likely cause more harm and injury.

I can continue to spend thousands of dollars on creams, treatments, skin care systems, facials, etc. And all it will continue to do is drive me insane, while adding financial strain. NO CREAM CAN FIX THIS! NOT Obagi, Vivite, Retin-A, etc. NO LASER CAN FIX THIS! NOT Fractional, Erbium, YAG, CO2, WHATEVER, it doesn't matter. NO LASER CAN FIX THIS.

NO CHEMICAL PEEL WILL REPAIR THIS. NO FILLER. NO INJECTION. NO COMBINATION OF ANYTHING WILL FIX THIS. The best, most expensive and proven-effective treatments WILL NOT WORK! NOT EVEN WITH THE BEST PLASTIC SURGEON.

If any of you have any good sense about you, YOU WILL HEED THIS WARNING AND NEVER, EVER HAVE LASER SURGERY ON YOUR FACE. EVER!

You want to "fix" your face because of "this" or "that?" It's time to turn off the TV. Throw away the "fashion" magazines. IGNORE all things "celebrity." Be thankful for the beautiful and unique person you are and all you have to offer the world. MOVE AROUND. Stop analyzing yourself in the mirror. Smile and live!

Please hear my heart on this, You DON'T want to go down this path. It's an illusion. IT'S A LIE! It is meant to cause destruction in order for them to earn lots and lots of money!!!! These procedures ENSURE that you keep coming back for more by destroying your face and making you WORSE! PLEASE DO NOT DO IT!

Sorry to hear all these bad stories, and wished i knew before! I had a few acne mark on my cheeks and had a fraxel Eribum laser done for the first time. The 2hrs the areas were really red but after it went away leaving just brown marks as if they were burned. I am a light skin hispanic 27yr old was wondering if thats notmal.

I have the same problem as you. Can you contact me? ***.com?

What a nightmare for us all now... The only thing that has worked well for me is obagi skin care line. I used the enhance & condition and it helped correct some of the damage of fraxel. I'll never have my face back but obagi has helped more than anything else that I tried. It's been almost 4 years and I still live with the nightmare & always self-conscious about my face. Talk about regrets...

Hi CAgirl, I just am recently having problems with fraxel too..would you be willing to send me your email so I can ask you a few questions regarding hyper pigmentation. Thanks
Unfortunately I read this after I had my first and only Fraxel session with much the same outcome as yourself... I regret it so much and it saddens me that yes indeed it seems there is no fix.
Please file a report with FDA. Do not let them talk you into doing more to repair it, it will not work. Since you did it only once, you may have a chance or recovery over time. i am so sorry this had to happen again.
I hope you are correct but I am seeing more damage each week. It is safe to say I will never let another laser near my face... Mild dermabrasion might prove useful over an extended period of baby steps. The joke is before I had the treatment [8 weeks ago] I only had a few pore, now its a few hundred.
Mine was done march 2009, but he kept trying to repair it for over a year until I finally realized there was no use to continue since there was no improvement. So, my skin has had three years to repair and it is somewhat better but not as good as before any fraxel at all. I am afraid to do anything more since it could be worse, although I have considered fillers (non permanent) and regular pull-back plastic surgery but have not done so yet. Don't give up, I believe there will be something that comes out that will repair fraxel damage in the future.
I'm amazed you went back for more... You should just sit tight for a year or two and look again... I reckon this will take that long to truly heal and I think that will provide a better opportunity for a fix, or more options. I'm heart broken as there was absolutely nothing wrong with my skin to begin with. Pure Vanity.
i had fraxel over a year ago. orange peel etc. my face had tiny stretch marks everywhere... rub raw onion on your face every night and mederma in the day...saved me...
Really raw onion? What is that suppose to do? Is there somewhere that you read about this and what did it do for you? I guess it would be a cheap fix but I am sure no one is going to kiss you goodnight after that! LOL
Sounds like a "Mederna" rep to me. ... No story, no review, no comments, no before/after thoughts - Hence, no history. ...Nice try, though.
I am sorry this happened to you. If you have not, please file a report with the FDA, via their adverse event report filing system. It is important to have an official record of these injuries so that they are documented.

Your name and the name of the doctor will not be on public display but only viewable by the FDA. If you reported this outcome to your doctor is was their obligation to notify the mfg, who was then supposed to file a report with the FDA but that does not always happen. Each patient still needs to file their own report with the FDA so you will have a voice and you can be sure the damage was reported and documented.

You can file the report online at this link below, just click the "Begin" button to the right. You will need the manufacturer and model (or at least that would be helpful) of device that harmed you.

Another victim of the evils of fraxel :( It has been 7 months for me. Latina with light skin. I went in as recommended by my otherwise fantastic plastic surgeon for melasma near my ear. He suggested I do my whole face-eventhough the rest of my face was clear. Off I went to his aesthetician who assured me that it was perfect for skin of color. I did loads of research on fraxel. I unfortunately never found this site. After the first fraxel treatment my skin looked heavenly after the 'sloughing off' of dead skin. However, by week three, some pigmentation was visible again so another treatment was recommended. The second treatment btw was FREE of charge, so I thought it was all in honesty trying to get my skin to look it's best. THAT did NOT happen. After the second treatment it was obvious my skin was fried. It looked like I was wearing a very, very thick layer of bad make up. My skin was so much darker than the rest of my body, and then as I agonized over the nasty hyperpigmentation and eerie "bronze" look, tiny miniature pimple like things began to cover my face. So much was going on with my face to notice a huge indentation developed on my cheek. It has been hell. I hate to look in the mirror now. I've always been an attractive person yet still always unsure of myself. I should have appreciated my skin as it was! I wish I had never agreed to the procedure! To think I almost walked out that day because I WAS nervous about it-I should have followed my gut instinct. I have been prescribed hydroquinone, but I am concerned about the side effects (cancer!), so I am using Retin-A and getting microdermabrasion done on a monthly basis. The bronze look has gotten a bit better, but the hyperpigmentation remains, as does the indentation on my cheek. The little pimples come and go as they please. I may have a clear face for a couple of weeks, then wake up one day and I am covered with them for the next couple of weeks. They are not pimples, they are tiny and look similar to baby acne. I try to limit being in the sun as much as possible, NEVER go out without sunscreen unless it is night out-not even in the winter. But, nothing has helped. I am scared it could get worse. I am hopeful it will get better. I hope we will ALL get better.
CA girl, can you message me with your e-mail? I'm interested in hearing your story as it sounds very similar to mine!
Thanks for asking, but I posted it two above. 15 months and I feel the same as you... like I have lost my life. Just recently lost my job in which my job performance went down due to depression, I no longer have a love life due to not dating since this all occurred. Therefore, I will have no family to call my own, but I am not sure that upsets me so much. However, I am still hopeful knowing that CAgirl's hyperpigmentation went away after 2 years. That is my major problem. I am a VERY white person, so hypopigmentation wouldn't really be noticed on me. :) I am now contemplating a law suit against my surgeon for the reasons I stated in my prior post. I actually spoke to an attorney yesterday who has sued this surgeon SEVERAL times. Not to mention, my sister is an attorney (but not malpractice) so she will be involved in the process a little which makes me feel more comfortable. I will let you all know how that turns out.
i feel your pain CAgirl T.T
all i can look forward to in life now, is to try and find some sense of peace and acceptance.

all my other life's goals have been thrown out the window. a career? a love life? a family? all devastated

in my search for peace, i've looked into Buddhist teachings, new age-y stuff like abraham-hicks stuff, also looked into quantum physics..

as they all talk about the impermanence of life and that we are more than our physical selves. and also that it's possible to transcend our physical beings into higher consciousness..

i've always thought these ideas were all hokey before.. but now i find great comfort in them..
What did you do to get rid of the Hyperpigmentation... or did it just fade on it's own after 2 years? Your story sounds so similar to mine.
izzy9970, please write a review of your experience, it'll help the truth shine through.. T.T
Thanks to Fraxel I now have skin that looks like an orange peel, scarring, lots of "fine lines" and holes from the laser and HYPOpigmentation. This is PERMANENT LASER DAMAGE! I had none of this BEFORE Fraxel!

So what's there to do??? Because the truth is, there's NOTHING out there that will ever restore my skin to what it was BEFORE Fraxel destroyed it. I can continue to take more risks, which more than likely will cause more harm and injury. I can continue to spend thousands on creams, treatments, skin care systems, etc. And all it does is drive me insane. NO CREAM CAN FIX THIS! Obagi, Vivite, Retin-A, etc. The best, most expensive and proven-effective treatments WILL NOT WORK!

Searching for inner peace and healing...
CAgirl, I feel your pain. I am 15 months post fraxel and I have Hyper-pigmentation (very white chick originally). A perma-tan would be nice if it was all over my body. However, I have a very distinctive line that goes around my jaw and patching on my cheeks and forehead. Not to mention some hypo-pigmentation scaring (in the form of laser lines) I can't even begin to tell you of the depression that I have had since then. My doctor is a quack and should not have performed the procedure after I had an allergic reaction to the numbing cream. When I went in for the procedure they had to sedate me because the pain was so great due to the allergy. My doctor should have known to stop when the original allergic reaction occurred and allow my face to recover and heal. Every day I wish I could go back 15 months and just walk out of his office.

All that being said, did you doctor ever inform you that darker skinned people were prone to this? My doctor did and said therefore, I was the perfect candidate. I have heard so many horror stories in the last 15 months that I think this procedure should be banned for cosmetic reasons.
I am 8 months post Fraxel re:store. I am looking for the same for correcting my skin. I live in fear that I will develop problems like AWalk!!

What issues do you want to address?
Are there any treatments out there to help restore the skin to its normal texture, or close to it? What about ablative CO2 Laser? If any of you have had corrective procedures, treatments, medication, etc., please advise.
Hi CAgirl,

I have the lines too from Fraxel. The lines are made up of tiny microholes. Is this what you have. I am seeing a doctor on Monday regarding tradional Ultrapulse CO2 or Er Yag to remove them. I am devastated. This whole procedure has been a nightmare!

How far out are you from your procedure?
Kim1090 I am sorry about your experience!! I too have considered another laser to correct my adverse reaction. I am curious....do you feel your experience was operator related? I had a very experienced operator. This makes me wonder if I am not a candidate for lasers although I am very healthy. PLEASE take caution when proceeding with additional lasers!! Have you thought about peels?