Fraxel and Disport Paralysis when Combining Procedures

I had Disport (for the first time...I've had Botox...

I had Disport (for the first time...I've had Botox before with no negative effects) and Fraxel lazar treatment on the same day. After three days I was no longer able to smile. The doctor put me on a week of Meth-prednisone after 10 days and I am now in day 11 after the procedures and still no smile and my eyes don't close all the way.

Do you think that lots of massage will help the muscles recuperate ( unfreeze) faster?

I had Fraxel and Disport injections on the same day, almost two weeks ago and now I can't smile. I'm also having trouble closing my eyes! I have to go to a reunion in 6 weeks and am desperate not to show up as "stone face". Help! Do you think that facial massage will help to speed up the process?

Doctor should have known the dangers of doing Disport and Fraxel on the same day.

I am slowly progressing and I think that massage has really helped to speed up the process. It has been two months of Hell, but it is visibly improved. Eyes close, teeth show when smiling and facial muscles seem to be pulling back up! Why didn't the doctor know this was a possibility??? Another learning experience....who needs it???
How are you coming along? Back to normal? I am having the same exact problem right now. I am only 2 weeks in- can't smile normally, my speech is effected. My doc said it would be a MONTH for this to resolve itself (after I came back in to find out what was going on). All I was told is: I would experience "numbness in the chin area." NOT HAPPY.
I had the procedure done on August 18th and my face is just back to normal this week! Don't let anyone tell you it's just for a month! This was a horrible experience and one that I'm not likely to repeat ever again. Best of luck. Keep massaging...it really helps! Happier now than I have been in 4 months
Do not do anything else to make the problem worse. Stop, Stop, relax, relax, allow the effects to occur in a couple of weeks and then remedy it if possible. The technique of the laser and the mechanism of the laser likely despersed the Botox/ Dysport beyond the area it was intended for. You'll be fine in due time. Botox/ Dysport and Laser should never be done on the same day. ALWAYS ALLOW 2 WEEKS BETWEEN TREATMENTS. It is a very poor practice to do both procedures. You may do well by avoiding that location since they concern seemed more with the profit than the person. And I am usually not this harsh. PA Clarke, NYC
Good News! Today I can close one eye completely and the other is almost closed....and I can see a bit of another tooth when I try to smile..small progress, but PROGRESS! Today is day 24 after the procedures. This is depressing but there is no option! Going to see the doctor this week to ask for my money back! That should be interesting.....
YAY YAY YAY!!! No mask required for your reunion then. Ha, ha. Let us know how you go with the refund. From the posts on this website, it would seem they are notoriously hard to get because the doctors regard giving refunds as an admission they did something wrong. Dying to hear how you go. Good luck!
Well, the reunion went really well....but when I look at the photos it is still very obvious that something is wrong with my face. I have this frozen half smile in every picture and look like a deer caught in the headlights! I told everyone what happened and they all laughed! Oh well! Now that the pressure of the reunion is over I can relax and just let the cure come about. No luck with a refund, but did get an offer of free treatment....like I would go back there again!!! Now it's just a matter of time! Hope you're doing better...it seems like a very SLOW process. Massaging definitely has helped. Good luck!
I am SO happy that your reunion went well and good for you for being honest about what happened. That must have taken a lot of the pressure off! I agree with you that waiting for a bad result to wear off is like watching grass grow - agonisingly slow!! I have seen some improvement and I feel better inside even though I still look like rubbish on the outside. You are right about this being a learning experience. The biggest lesson is never to trust the medical profession without doing independent research. Lots of them have NO CLUE what they are doing. Good luck mate and keep us updated. x
Thanks for your support! I have considered surgical masks, a burka ( I can say it's in support of women in Afghanistan) or just carrying an old 8x10 of myself smiling and hold it up in front of my face every time someone says something funny! As for make-up, guys in make-up are suspect..even though this is a show business reunion. If there's no improvement by reunion time I'm going to send an e-mail to all telling them what happened so they'll be prepared...maybe I can milk this for a lot of sympathy!!
I was reading up on the new Dysport to see if I should get it instead of Botox and came across your question. I don't have an answer for you but wanted to let you know that I feel so bad for you, I know how it feels to be going to your reunion and wanting to look your best. Maybe you can say you are surprised and sad at the same time. I hope you have a great time at your reunion and that you wake up tomorrow with everything the way that you want it to be. Good luck
No need to thank me - we are all in this diabolical nightmare together!!! Yes, sadly for you make-up will probably only draw more attention to it for you, but I like your other plans (particularly milking it for sympathy). Perhaps you could send an email suggesting the reunion be 'fancy dress/costume' theme (so you could wear a mask or stage make up)??! Why on earth would a doctor do fraxel and botox at the same time? I just don't understand it...
Sorry - I meant Dysport, not Botox!
In other words, I'm going to the reunion looking like a cross between Boris Karloff and a Sharpei! Oh good! Can't wait to get more Dysport shots!
I have to confess that I laughed out loud at your post. I kind of felt like I had a 'caveman' forehead for the first 6 weeks, but Frankenstein is just as apt. Or do you mean the Mummy?! I am sure it will have loosened up at least by your reunion. I am almost 9 weeks post-botx and, while I still look ghastly, there has been definite improvement. Lots of make up and kind lighting is my only salvation at the moment. Good luck! Keep us updated as to your progress. What is the time period between the dysport/fraxel fiasco and your reunion?
I have re-read your post and done the maths myself. Is it about 9 weeks between dysport and the reunion? There WILL be improvement by then. Hang in there.
The muscles are frozen because the nerve-muscle connection doesn't work as the acetylcholine receptors are blocked by the dysport. Massage will not assist the nerves to reconnect to the muscle. This will only happen in time. Google it. I hate my botox result (cheek ptosis) and I have looked for any possible way to speed up the process of muscle recovery. Sadly, it always keeps coming back to time. I got a Tua Viso to stimulate the muscles electrically but even this will not work until the nerve-muscle connection is re-established. Know you are not alone in this horrible wait. Best wishes.
Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea how long it might take? I'm desperate to be cured by mid-October because of a reunion. Vanity sucks, huh?
Oh it sucks alright! I am really not sure how long it will take to wear off because I think it depends a lot on how much was injected and where. Have a look at some of my other posts on this question, especially the one to 'Tami in FL' who ended up with an asymmetrical smile from misplaced botox. To rid myself entirely of my awful result, I think it will take about 8 or 9 months to get completely back to baseline. I already have some muscle movement after 8 weeks but it is going to be some time before this fully comes right. Luckily I suppose it happens gradually so you can look out for improvements after about eight weeks but it happens very slowly. Keep us updated as to how you get on. Cheers