Fraxel for Serious Pigmentation and Uneven Skin Tone/texture - Do Your Research!

I am an over-50 female who has serious...

I am an over-50 female who has serious pigmentation, and uneven skin texture/tones. I had my 2nd fraxel (restore) and am really content with the process to date. I will probably get at least a 3rd fraxel, or even a 4th (depending on what my doctor says).

The most important things to know BEFORE you get your Fraxel:

1. Do your research as WHO is really going to perform your Fraxel. I did extensive research on the internet and consulted/ interviewed 3 doctors. I found that 2 out of the 3 doctors do not perform the treatment (Their aesthetician does). The doctor I went with is a dermatologist (24 years dermatology experience) and she does the actual treatment herself.

2. The laser treatment (I think, any laser treatment) "burns" the top layer of your skin off. It is not for the squeamish, and of course, each face reacts differently. I had some difficult side effects after my 1st treatment. That's why having a doctor who cares and knows what they are doing really, really helps.

3. Before, during and after these treatments, make a serious commitment to stay out of the sun. I actually bought a 4" brim visor hat!

4. Be patient with the process and your skin. Follow your doctor's before and after instructions extremely well.

I have tried every lightening/ brightening cream available and nothing has really helped. Now, after my 2nd fraxel, my skin looks quite wonderful: healthy, even, and clear.

Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

She is very experienced and caring.

Blue owner, are you still pleased with your Fraxel results now in 2014?
it doesn't matter who your doctor is. The laser itself isn't good for your skin! Don't do fraxel!!
My skin type is VI - asian. My dermatologist told me I have one of the most difficult skin types to work with. I really think it depends on the doctor you get to work with - like everything else.
Hi Blue, You must be either skin type I thru III. V -asian. Most fair to group III skins do well with most skin lasers.
I am 100% German and fair-skinned and I am DAMAGED from Fraxel.
Hi Blue ~ Are you still happy with your results? You said that you experianced some difficult side-effects after your first treatment? What were they? When did they arise after the first treatment? How long did it take for them to go away? Please advise. I'm experiancing what look like large pores and tiny short diagonal lines on my cheeks. Did you experiance this? Any input would be greatly appriciated! Did you have Resore or Repair?
Hello Beann, I just had have my 5th (and final) fraxel! After my 4th fraxel, my skin was absolutely gorgeous... 98% there. After my 1st treatment, my main issue was hyperpigmentation which was taken care of by 4% hydroquinine cream (prescribed by my doctor). My skin reacted differently after each fraxel. I had large pores within the 1st week, and they would disappear. I had tiny lines, which eventually flaked off as "loose" skin. My doctor told me to get the clarisonic brush (delicate brush head) and start using it about 5 days after my treatment. The brush helps to slough off the dead skin from the treatments. I also use the Clinique medical line (again, from my doctor) throughout my treatment period. Your skin will react differently each time. After about 6 weeks, it begins to look really good. Since I have difficult skin, my fraxels are 8 weeks apart. The fraxel is Restore. Hope this helps.
What kind of skin type do you have. there are I, II, III, IV, V, six. I -[ being the fairest, and IV being - asian. Just curious cuz I am interested, but you good reason maybe due to you are group I, III and III.