Dot Laser on Entire Face - Atlanta

Just had the Dot Laser treatment done on my entire...

Just had the Dot Laser treatment done on my entire face today and holy sh*t did it hurt! I've had other laser treatments done before such as fraxel (sp?) and other high tech laser treatments but know one prepared me for how this was going to feel. In fact, everyone told me it would hurt less. With the other treatments it could get pretty uncomfortable but not nearly to where I was cursing the doctor:-) I squeezed the poor nurse’s hand much harder then she probably would have liked.

The appointment started with the doctor looking at what areas of my face needed the most attention. After photos for the "before" pictures I then went into a room so a nurse could apply a topical numbing lotion to my face. The lotion was applied around my eyes but only up to the socket bones underneath and not on any part of the eye lid. I sat with the lotion on my face for an hour to an hour and a half waiting while it worked its magic. I was then brought into the laser treatment room.

With the dot laser compared to the others I felt the heat of the laser more. It felt like hot repeated pinpoint zaps on my face, I could feel the heat of the laser penetrating my skin. The doctor started by doing one pass over of my entire face witch consisted of starting at the upper corner of my forehead and working in one inch sections across from the one corner to the other, dropping an inch down and working across again. He then did the sides, cheeks, nose, chin and earlobes. My earlobes are not something I expected but hey, he's the doctor. He repeated the process but with a different laser tip and as he explained in-between the areas he had just lasered so that it mixed it up instead of having the same dot pattern done twice all over my face. The second time over definitely hurt worse then the first. The first was tolerable but it hurt in the areas the numbing cream didn't quite reach around my hairline and earlobes. Then he upped the amount of laser amount and went over my cheeks and chin again where I have some older acne scarring. The increased amount hurt like a son of a gun! Still manageable but definitely a lot more painful. The laser pulses were longer then the first set of pulses and hotter. The next part though about had me out of my chair and running for the door. Evidently they can't put the numbing cream too close to the eye but they still laser this portion of the eye. So when the doctor lasered under my eyes, on my eye lids and in the inside crease of my eyes, the curse words started flying. He finished as quickly as he could but not quickly enough.

After he was finished the nurse applied a lotion to my entire face with the consistency of Vaseline and let me hold a cool fan to soothe my skin. I checked out, got in the car, and had the air conditioning on full blast pointed at my face the entire way home.

It's been a few hours now since I've gotten home and the numbing lotion has almost worn off and my face doesn't really hurt that bad. It feels like a bad sun burn and has that tight sensation that makes you not want to make any facial expressions. Right now it's really not bad and I don't expect it to hurt any more. I'm supposed to take an antibiotic and some other medication for the next few days. The doctor prescribed it one day before the treatment and I guess it's supposed to reduce the risk of infection. I'm also supposed to keep an ointment on my face for the next few days to keep it moist then switch to a different type of lotion once it starts to heal. I'll keep everyone posted and try to take pictures on each day so you know what to expect in the week after. Hope this helps and feel free to ask questions.

Updated on Jan 12, 2010

Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

I love my dermatologist! He's a fun, easy, laid back guy that realy knows his stuff. I think he's the best there is.

So GREAT to have read these posts...especially before jumping in for the DOT laser stuff. I have a high pain tolerance, BUT IF the Photofacial procedure I HAD is anything like the super-painful DOT therapy...THEN FORGET IT!!! I thought I was going to curse & do physical harm to the technician just with the Photofacial w/numbing cream!!! I was NOT EXPECTING THAT LEVEL OF PAIN! So thank you ladies for steering me clear of this. I'll keep saving my pennies for that "refreshed look" facelift! :)

Wasn't this the worst procedure? OMG it hurt! I had a face lift, other surgeries, nothing can compare to this.....Holy Chit it hurt! Even the third day, my face was so sensitive, and the pea bags, (frozen) omg......even with the frozen peas in a pillow case, the pain was awful, when you took the case off... Women and men out there, ask for a steroid meds, so you don't swell, and you don't have to use the ice as often. I would tell everyone who would listen, DO NOT HAVE THIS PROCEDURE, WHILE AWAKE! The pain is awful! I am on my 4th day...still pealing, not as much pain, but still super sensitive. When does the peeling stop?
Can see my typing on the new Ipad leaves much to be desired. I did do the DOT Laser treatment and am looking forward to seeing how it looks three weeks down the road. Will let you all know.

I am on seven of my DOT laser treatment. After reading many reviews and how it would hurt, I didn't do it. It was a piece of cake. I took four Advils one hour before the treatment, the doctor put numbing cream on my face, and even at the deep wrinkle setting, I had little or no pain.

Recovery has also been easy. I did go in the sun yesterday and I am red today, but all else has gone good. I did not totally peel in the first three days. All the dark peel is gone, but there are still areas with flaky skin.

Can see some improvement all over but my skin is a little dry and wrinkles are showing today. Can't wait to see how it gets in a couple of weeks. Will be doing a second treatment and adding my neck.

Will keep you all informed.

Nikki

I had the Dot Laser done on April 6, 2012. They numbed my face good and I sat for an hour and they also gave me a valium and a shot of demerol. They started the procedure and I have never felt such pain in my life and I can tolerate pain pretty good with having 2 C-Sections and 5 hernias and now back and neck pain daily. When it was over I just cried and the pain the rest of the day was far more than a feeling of a bad sunburn. The burning was tremendous and my head hurt all day probably due to the fact that everytime that laser touched my face I tensed up really bad. I was swollen for about 3 days. The burning subsided on the 2nd day but the 3rd day it was back. On Day 4 I really started peeling but by the end of my 10th day most of my face is healed and I returned to work on Day 11. I do still have a few track marks left but I keep steroid cream on them and a light coat of Aquafor at bedtime. My doctor said she did get aggressive with me as I did have pretty deep wrinkles and I will have to say that my wrinkles are alot smoother and some are not there and my skin feels smooth. I also had quite a few red precancerous spots on my face and they are gone now. The thing I liked about doing the Dot Laser is you only have to do it once thank goodness for that cause I would not do a repeat of it. I am going back in next week for some Botox around my lips and my frown lines and I am anxious to see the results in the following months as my collagen will produce again and cause my skin to tighten. Good Luck to whoever decides to do this. I would recommend it but just be prepared. Maybe if you do not get the more aggressive treatment it may not hurt you as bad as mine did. The first day I put mascara on was on Day 7 but I am not wearing any other make up besides the mascara and bottom eyeliner as of now. My face still has a pink glow to it and I just do not want to smother it with a foundation. Now that this is done you better believe that whenever I go out in the sun I will have plenty of sunblock on my face and I will keep reapplying it if I am out doors for very long. My doctor also did my eyelids and that was not painful really at all and I can tell a difference in the loose skin on my eyelids and also on my neck it has tightened up some. My neck was not painful at all and the doctor said that is because she went light on that since your neck does not heal as well as your face. My advice is to apply your gauze mask for 2 days, use the oxygen serum and then keep it coated with Aquafor for a good 7 to 8 days. Use the steroid cream if you have some bright raw spots.
Does it feel like scabby skin? Has it started to peel or go away yet? I would think that everyone's skin is a little different and re-generates at a different pace, just like hair and nails. How's it look now?
It was a pixel laser (from Kristy's description above sounds like a dot laser).
I looks like a have a splotchy tan. My face looks like some of Kristy's pictures above, lots of little brown dots. The only place they are gone is chin and around my mouth.
The laser technician is on vacation so I can't go in or talk to her to see if this is normal.
The brown dots don't look like they're about to peel either :(
I had the non-ablative laser done a week ago today. I was told my skin would start peeling 3-5 days (I've read online it can be anywhere from 5-7). Well, it's day 7 and I'm still not peeling. Did anyone else have this experience? I'm a little worried now.
I have not had that experience, but I have read that it may depend on the type of laser, and how aggressive they applied it. Are you bronzed looking or red at all?
That's odd, cause I started peeling really a lot, on the second day, and continued, I am on the 4th day,and still I see there needs to be a lot more peeling.
Cindy, that is great! I am so glad you are getting better. I knew you would. Every day will be a little better and before you know it, it'll all be behind you. Great news! Keep posting, thanks!
Day 10 and it was by far the best day. Still red and very flaky. Had my dad over for dinner and did not feel like I had to hide, I actually sat outside with no makeup on but a lot of sun screen..it was 80 here today.. the fine lines are still there and they do not look any lighter but who knows maybe they will start to fade, if not that will be ok, if anything I learned a big leason..be happy with what you have because it can always be worse. Thanks for all the support from everyone.. I'll post in a few days with an update.
Cindy,

How are you doing now after your DOT laser? Did you get the results you were hoping for after everything healed?
selfimposed: Amen, I would not recommend this laser treatment, even though I only had the upper lip done. The amount of makeup that I have to wear to cover up the mess the laser left could have easily cover up the fine lines. Guess some of us just need to be thankful for what we are given in life. The cover cream that you recommended worked great for my sons banquet today..the lighting was low so I did not feel that all the people were looking at my red face..cant wait for the day to come that I can hold my head up and not feel like a freak. Hopefully soon.. I think the stress that I have been under since my laser treatment has added a few more lines. lol
Sounds like you continue to see improvement, what a relief, right? I just posted that I would not recommend laser after I passed my three month mark. Not worth it. It does sound like you are getting better every day, though. Great! I am also getting peeling from the cream I have to put on the brown streaks, so, yes, when I put makeup on, I kind of look like a snake peeling. Really pretty. It sure does make you appreciate yourself and all of your 'perceived' flaws.
On my ninth day after dot laser..still red, not as bad but still noticeable without makeup. Very day and flaky, so you know how great makeup starts to look when you are peeling. Those fine lines that I had and was the reason for me putting myself through this hellish nightmare..well they are still there! Was told that I may need another laser treatment, yeah like that is EVER going to happen..come to think of it I think those fine lines are kinda sexy compared to looking like the joker from batman. Hopefully my experience will come to an end soon and I will be able to look in the mirror and be happy and content with what I see. Will let you know what happens when I reach the two week mark.
Hi, Cindy. It sounds like the redness is getting better. That's good. The skin will be dry for quite a while. I can't remember how long, but it does get back to normal again. I think you will get a lot better and I hope it's soon. I still have brown streaks on my cheeks from post inflammatory hyperpigmentation and am getting sick of putting this bleaching cream on every night that makes my skin red. No more lasers for me. It caused major depression for me and I know that you and I are not alone in this. Keep posting. You'll get better.
Today is day 7 since my dot laser.. a lot of the red has gone but not all..still have some whelps on the side of my mouth and my skin is very dry..today was the first time I left the house in a week, other than to go to the doctors and I wore a mask then. I was able to put on a little mineral powder but you could still see the red ring around my mouth. I so feel a little better about the way I look, but if I could go back in time I would have never done this, I would have just gotten fillers.. hoping that by the end of next week I will have some great news to report.. but Im not holding my breath.
Cindy, you're welcome. I'm glad that I was able to give you some sense of sanity. I have been where you are and I know how anxious it can be. I think you will get better every day. You'll feel better once you can start covering all the redness/grid lines. My grid lines took about 2 months to really go away, which surprised me. Please keep us all posted. You'll look great when all is said and done.
Well today is day 5 after my DOT laser and I do see a little improvement. Still very red but not blood red, still have some whelps on both sides of my mouth and the laser grid lines are still very visible. I do feel very thankful that I did not do the whole face only the upper lip. Have my sons banquet this weekend and hoping that I will look somewhat normal. I did not like those fine lines around my mouth but compared to this I wish I had everyone of them back. Maybe tomorrow I will have some better news. A very special thanks to "selfimposed" for all the great support...I think I would have gone mad over the past few days.
Hi, Cindy. I know exactly how you feel. I heard the same thing; as in, wow, I've never had that happen with a patient! as if! You are doing everything right, glad you are seeing the dermatologist. I think you'll be pleased with how the dermablend will cover. It's a bit heavy, but when you look in the mirror, you will look great and people don't know it's heavy. It's for emergency use only, I say. I have had compliments on my skin and they do not know what is going on!

People really do not understand the anxiety that can happen after something like this. It is our faces, after all. Yes, please keep in touch. I totally get what you are saying when you say a laser will never touch your face again. so true.. I will update, too when there is a change.
Hi, Cindy. I don't need the heavy concealing makeup anymore, but I do need makeup. Still have some hyperpigmentation, which I heard can take up to a year to resolve. I have to slather on sun block and wear a hat when I'm driving in my car, because you have to be careful about sun exposure. My skin is now hyper sensitive, so I frequently get rashes from what, I don't know.. I have broken capillaries, which I never had before. No scars, very lucky, but quite a few of the brown spots are back, so I probably would say I have about a 50% improvement over my original skin. Of course if you take into account the stress over the prolonged redness and hyperpigmentation, it was not definitely not worth it. I can't help but wonder if one pass would have made a difference, but not much good in hindsight. I think you'll be all right, and very lucky you only did the upper lip.
selfimposed: woke up this morning and I look a little better, not great but better. Went back to doc and I was very upset when I got there, all my emotions came rushing out all at one time, due to lack of sleep. There was three people in there with me trying to calm me down..probable looked like a crazy freak..they all said that my face looked good and that i should be fine in a few more days..said that I had a reaction to the laser, ya think! hoping that they are right but Im not holding my breath. The redness is not as red but its still there and I have a few welps on each side of my mouth. I did order that cream from Ulta and it should be here before my sons banquet. I am going to make an appointment with a dermatologist..for sometime next week. Believe me a laser will never touch my skin ever again. Thanks for everything, talking with you has made it a little easier..family is great but they have on idea what Im going through. Will keep in touch.. Thanks!!!!!
Hi Cindy,
Please keep us posted on your progress......
Thanks for your support..i'll let you know what the doc says tomorrow. Are you able to go without makeup now? I only had the laser treatment on the upper lip area. so glad i did not do the whole face. i live in fl and dont always wear a lot of make up, my skin was not bad just wanted to get those lines gone..wish i still had them, they looked great compared to what i look like now. again thanks.