You Don't Always Get What You Pay For (Sometimes You Get More) **Rhinoplasty**Brow Lift**Lipo** NY, NY

Hi everyone, it's been a week since I underwent...

Hi everyone, it's been a week since I underwent cosmetic surgery through the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary's (NYEE) Postgraduate Cosmetic Surgery Fellowship program and I'm excited to provide an account of my experience! I specifically decided to have a rhinoplasty, endoscopic brow lift and liposuction of the neck/china area. I had been researching options for the last year so I didn't go into my decision lightly. I especially spent a lot of time on this site so I must give credit to the Real Self members who helped me with their own stories!

I originally scheduled an appointment with Dr. Watts in the beginning of November to discuss options regarding rhinoplasty and breast lift. However, I decided to postpone breast lift options until I reach my goal weight, so we focused on my face for the consultation. Scheduling the appointment was very easy; Dr. Watts worked around my schedule and saw me at 8am. During the consultation, Dr. Watts asked me to look in the mirror and describe what I noticed about my face and essentially what areas I felt needed improvement. While I initially came in for my nose, I mentioned how unhappy I was with my prominent, heavy brow. I'm only 32 years old (female) and I have a pretty bubbly personality, but my resting face had the tendency to look mean, sleepy and masculine because of my brows. So Dr. Watts suggested several surgical/non-surgical options that would help to alleviate the heavy look, and after sleeping on it I wrote him an email confirming my intent to move forward with rhinoplasty, endoscopic brow lift and lipo on the old double chin (I figured I could get a head start on the weight loss!).

Fast forward a month and the surgery date arrived. Wanting to make sure I received the best care possible, Dr. Watts had recommended that I set the date for December12th, as the attending surgeon that day had extensive experience in cases such as mine. I had prepared myself for the operation, taking off work for three weeks (vacation) and saving as much as possible. Turns out I over-saved - because the three procedures were combined, I paid under $5k (including anesthesia). I'm still amazed that I paid so little.

i arrived at the facility at 6am and was prepped for 7:30am surgery without much of a wait. I live two blocks away from the hospital so the 6am arrival time didn't pain me too much - in fact I was glad I didn't have to wait around nervously for a later surgery time. At around 7:30am a nurse escorted me from my hospital room to the surgery floor along with a young woman (who was also undergoing some sort of cosmetic procedure) and her parents. I thought this was pretty funny, especially when the mother sheepishly asked me what I was getting done and the husband outwardly admonished her. No harm done - I probably would have told her! But I digress.

The surgery room itself was a large open facility, and very well staffed. I was asked to lie on the surgery bed, and while I was being prepped I spoke to Dr. Watts and met the anesthetist, nurses and the highly regarded Dr. Lawrence Bass. Then I was out like a light! I woke up several hours later in recovery, not feeling any pain, and was then wheeled to my room. Dr. Watts and his associate came to visit me and dressed my head with gauze (think helmet with chinstrap; my nose already had a cast on it) and left to let me rest. I threw up blood after trying to eat tropical gelatin (can you blame me?), so I wasn't released until about 8:30pm. But aside from the fact that I looked like I lost a few rounds in the ring (black and blue eyes and a lot of swelling), I felt fine, and was easily able to walk the three minutes back to my apartment with my sister as an escort.

Over the last week, I've experienced most of the symptoms typically associated with the three procedures:

Rhino - bruising, swelling, congestion, dull ache, tenderness
Endoscopic brow lift - numbness, tightness, swelling, dull ache, shooting pains
Lipo (chin) - swelling, tenderness

But...I LOOK great! :-) I had my follow-up appointment with Dr. Watts on Tuesday 12/17 and he removed my nose cast and head gear. While I'm still pretty swollen and slightly bruised, my nose looks fantastic and my eyebrows are positioned right where they should be. I will write a follow-up once I regain full feeling and movement of my forehead and the swelling subsides completely. I'll also post pics as long as I can do so while maintaining my anonymity. As an FYI, I was given Vicodin to be used for the first few days, and now I am using Tylenol and or Motrin to control residual discomfort (dull headaches) as needed.

That's all for now; feel free to comment or private message me with questions and I will be sure to get back to you shortly. Thanks for reading!!

- chillydown

To schedule a consultation at NYEE: 212-979-4493 (FYI consultation fee is being waived for a short time)

Photos

Hi all,

I think I've kept everyone waiting long enough for some before and after pics, but instead of posting them to RealSelf, I would prefer to send them via private message at this time. If interested, please PM me and I will send before and two weeks post-op photos to you asap.

Thanks in advance for understanding!

Best,
chillydown

P.S. I'm healing very well at three weeks! I still have very small bruises on the apples of my cheeks, but they are easily covered up with makeup. While my nose is still pretty swollen externally at the tip, I can breathe easily. It's very firm, and I've bumped it with my hand a couple of times, which brings on a little pain. So I'm still being as gentle as possible with it (of course I'm suddenly super clumsy!). The feeling is coming back to my forehead and it can get itchy at times. But otherwise I'm in great shape, and still so thrilled with my results!

Ta-da

Okay, sorry to keep you waiting on the pics...and I'm sorry for the creepy blackout eyes. :-)

These after pics were taken approximately two weeks after surgery. The tip of my nose is still pretty swollen and stiff, so I assume it will continue to undergo subtle changes over the next year.

Hope these help you in your decision!

Just a couple more pics (taken approx. 10 weeks post-op)

Australia Plastic Surgeon

All in all, my surgery was very successful and I have 100% trust in Dr. Watts. My sister has also met with him regarding a rhinoplasty; she is equally impressed with my results. He is a very caring and attentive doctor and he has a great personality. Dr. Watts is also highly skilled - he is board certified and has extensive experience working with children and adults with craniomaxillofacial deformities. I would recommend him to anyone and everyone, and I plan on going back to him for a breast lift in the spring.

Hi you look great! Btw how do u get in touch with dr.watts? Thank you
I love it!!
I am stunned that they would do a facelift on you at 32-- most doctors find that highly unethical.
Thanks for the review! Do you know if he has a website? I googled his name but haven't found a site where I can view his before and afters :/ Your nose looks great by the way :)
If you go to www.nyee.edu you can link to the plastic surgery fellowship program i don't think Dr.Watts has an individual web site. I just had a second procedure with Dr. Watts yesterday. I had a breast lift and augmentation. I cannot say enough about Dr. Watts. His attention to detail and commitment to his skill and patients is incredible. You cannot help but feel completely confident with your decision to choose Dr. Watts as your physician. Dr. Watts can show you before and afters during your consultation. That is where I viewed his work and now having gone through a facelift, upper and lower eyelid lift, lipo to the chin area and now a breast augmentation I am so happy with his work. I am 9 weeks post op from my facelift and I love it. Good Luck !!!
Thank you so much! Took a little searching but I found the number to call. It says a rhino is $5200 - that seems like average pricing to me :/ did you ask for a discount or anything?
You can give them a call and ask for pricing to make sure, I didn't ask for a discount there was a flat fee for everything , but I would call to double check Susanna the office manager is very helpful with pricing questions
How much does dr watts charge for a facelift and you paid 4665 for all procedures
Thanks for posting more pictures - you look great :)
your nose looks very nice i like the top especially... but I wish, you would have a full profile picture and full front view picture, before and after. I cant see your chin, therefore its hard to determine, how balanced your nose looks to the rest of your facial features. Maybe you can update.... why did you hide your eyes? my doctor once told me this : " people who know you will still recognize you thats its you, even when you hide your eyes lol and the people who dont know you, well heck, why hide them from who dont know whi you are, thats why they are strangers? lol " if you think about it, its silly isnt it, thinking hiding your eyes will make unrecognizable, I even fell for that lol anyways, congrats on your nose.... how was the bruising? did you have any? did any friends, family members or co workers notice anything?
Hi Shawn, thanks for your comments! I know what you mean, but I'm posting what makes me comfortable. Sure, I realize blacking out my eyes does not make me unrecognizable, but it does minimize recognition. I promise you that my facial features are proportional. If you are considering Dr. Watts as a surgeon, I would be happy to send you full pictures by email. The reason I posted pics was so that other RealSelfers could see his work. If I may boldly anticipate your response, I know I would have no control over what you do with the pictures, but I like to believe that someone with like-minded goals would use them properly. :) As far as bruising, mine was pretty bad under the eyes, and it didn't disappear fully until about 4 1/2 weeks post-op. Arnica gel seemed to help, but that might have been wishful thinking. The bruising was exacerbated by the brow lift, so I'm not sure how it would have been with just rhinoplasty. Most of my coworkers just complimented me on how nice my skin looked, and how well-rested I looked, but one hounded me, asking why I looked different. That wasn't fun lol. The family members who didn't know I had work done kept staring at me obviously during Christmas Eve dinner (2 weeks post op) but they couldn't place what was different, and when I finally let the cat out of the bag, they stared at me even more lol. Thanks again for writing; I haven't had a chance to read about your experience yet, but I will certainly do so shortly. Best of luck!
Hey there hun, Wow I liked your responds a lot , you are like me. Yoy write long and very detailed. I truly appriciate that. I hope you know I was just curious about your over all facial balance and how look period. And I'm just one of those people who appriciate a beautiful well balanced facial features. But I understand and respect what you mean with feeling comfy about what u wanna share and what not. U know the reason I posted my pictures is because I also wanted others to see, how my results were and I was one of them, looking at other members who did the surgery. Id actually would like to see your picture, a full face picture without ur eyes hidden. And obviously it would be just for me. As u maybe noticed, I had cosmetic surgery done myself a year ago and have my next surgery scheduled for June. Which will be my nose. My nose is very minor, but enough that I don't like and I'm somewhat of a perfectionist. If I had more money, I would have done both my surgeries at the same time. But sometimes it is what it is. So I have a little bump on my nose and from certain angles my nose looks crooked and from other angles it looks fine. So I decided to have that fixed as well. My surgeoun is in Flordia. Ill PM u my e mail
hi, do you have any updates as to how your nose is healing? I went to a consult w dr. watts and I was really impressed! My only thing was he didn't have photos to show of previous patients w wide noses like mine but other than that, he was superb in addressing every issue and possible complication both functionally and aesthetically.
Hi Mimi, I'm so sorry I've been out of touch. I'm happy to report that my nose is healing very well; I'm extremely happy. The congestion was completely gone after about 8 weeks. It is still stiff and swollen, but it otherwise feels fine and looks terrific. From my own experience and from what I've heard from others, I think Dr. Watts typically under-promises and over-delivers. So if he says that he can give you results that you will be happy with, trust that he means what he says. If you would like to see uncensored pictures of my before and after, feel free to private message me (that goes for anyone else, too). I just don't want uncensored face pics floating around on the internet. :-) Thanks, Mimi; best of luck to you!!!
thank you and I will! I actually picked up the same vibe from him: such a humble and intelligent concerned physician.
Wow you look amazing!!!!
Thank you so much, so do you!!! :-)
Just had a facelift, upper and lower eyelid surgery and chin lipo this past tuesday with Dr.Watts assisted by Dr. Belsley I cannot express enough how happy i am thus far with my procedure. Although I am swollen and bruised I feel great ! and I am so pleased that I chose Dr. Watts for my procedure. I have a few other surgeries scheduled due to massive weight loss and knowing Dr. Watts will be preforming them makes me extremely happy.
Congrats!! Yesterday Thursday I had a tt with Dr. Polavarapu but the lady staying next to me is having a facelift with Dr. Watts now..im thinking of a neck lift & lower facelift but can you possibly post some pictures?? I would love to see his work :D
I'm going to see him tuesday so he can remove my stitches I was planning on asking him to post photos to my profile he took so many they will be better than what I take, but I can tell you 4 days post surgery even though I am still swollen and a little bruised I am beginning to see the results of his work and I am really happy !!
ahhhhh SOOOO excited to consult with Dr. Bass this week! Thanks for posting your review and I really like what he has done for your tip! Hope you have an excellent and super speedy recovery. I've gone to NYEE for a consult last month but for a diff procedure and though I'm not positive if I want to go forth with it (it was for a breast augmentation), I want to prioritize my nose because it bothers me more. I wonder if they do combination procedures such as yours but for nose + boobs? I will ask!!
Hi Mimi, thanks so much for your post!! Yes, Dr. Watts (Dr. Bass supervised) can definitely do nose and breasts at the same time; it would actually be better for you time wise AND cost wise. I just saw Dr. Watts for a follow up this morning and to discuss timing for breast lift - he's really such a nice guy. I'm very excited for you and I wish you the best! Keep us posted!! :)
I love the way your eyebrows look now. :)
Thanks, TT! I didn't even post my worst forehead pic; I was borderline cave woman lol. I'm so happy. Hope all is good with you!!
get out! dr. lawrence bass was his attending? my former boss (from over a decade ago) had dr. bass' phone number in his rolodex. and we're talking rich, snooty bankers who have money to burn but know where to burn it. on only the best. how exciting for you!! :)