How Young is Too Young for a Tummy Tuck? What About Wanting to Have Children in the Future? (photo)

I am only 22 years old, have not had any children, but definitely want biological children in the future (5+ years down the line). I have been overweight my whole life, but have actually lost about 70lbs the past 3 years. Even though I've lost such a large amount of weight, I'm still not happy with my body and feel like the number of pounds I've lost doesn't mean much because of my fatty problem areas. What would the best surgery be for me? Tummy tuck? Lipo? Any opinions appreciated! Thanks!

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

How young to have a tummy tuck?

+1

Thank you for your questions and for your photograph.  You have done a remarkable job with your weight loss.

While most women usually have tummy tuck after childbearing it is becoming increasingly common to see younger people who have done a remarkable job of weight loss through diet and exercise approaching this procedure.  There is no specific right answer about when to do it.  Clearly, it would make sense to do it when you have achieved your weight loss goals.

In in the case of a young person such as yourself I consider it a reasonable option given your significant weight loss.  You have to be comfortable with a visible and permanent scar, but given your photographs I think this would be a reasonable trade-off.  With respect to childbearing your body is smarter than your Physician.  When the hormones of pregnancy circulate your abdominal wall will relax once again.  The only caveat here is that eventually after childbearing you may wish to consider a second tummy tuck.  If you do have tummy tuck before childbearing make sure that your OB-GYN knows that you've had a tummy tuck in case you require a C-section.

Congratulations again on your significant weight loss.  Good luck if you choose to pursue with tummy tuck.

Web reference: http://www.atcosmetics.com/abdominoplasty/index.html

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck before children

+1

First, congratulations on a formidable weight loss!  You would certainly be a candidate for tummy tuck once your weight has stabilized. It is very easy for us to say as plastic surgeons that you should go ahead now while recognizing that you may need further surgery later, after having children.  I really think the decision depends on the importance you place on surgery in terms of your self-esteem and body image as well as your finances.  I really don't want to delude anyone into thinking that they won't need more surgery later and that it will cost real money to do so.  The photo wasn't clear as to whether liposuction would be of benefit.  I suggest that you see a board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate whether this would be viable for you.

Minimum age for tummy tuck

+1

Your question is a good one, but it has no definite answer.  There is no minimum age for a tummy tuck, but there are considerations.  You can still have children after a tummy tuck, but may need to have your muscles tightened again after your pregnancy. If you are planning to begin a family within the next few years, it may not make sense financially to have a tummy tuck at this time.  A modified tummy tuck could be a potential where the abdominal muscles are not tightened too much, but will that be enough to help you achieve your surgical goals?  A visit to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon may help you explore your options.  Good luck.

Katy Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tucks in Younger Patients

+1

Your scenario is one that I am seeing more frequently in my practice due to formerly heavy patients losing a significant amount of weight.  I usually advise these patients that they can have a tummy tuck, but that I do not tighten the abdominal muscles, only doing skin resection and repositioning.  This removes the extra skin and fat and flattens the abdomen.  Obviously, after childbirth, you may need to repeat or revise the procedure with muscle tightening if needed at that time.

You can get a tummy tuck even if you want to have children afterward

+1

Fantastic job on your weight loss!!  Even if you're planning on having children, you can still get a tummy tuck.  You may need to get your abdominal muscles re-tightened in the future, but in the short term you deserve to "look as good as you feel" and getting the excess skin removed will help show off all of the hard work you've endured!  Good luck!  Dr. Schreiber...Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

Web reference: http://www.baltimoreplasticsurgery.com/PhotoGallery_TummyTuck_118881.aspx

If you are considering surgery than a tummy tuck and liposuction would likely give you the best result

+1

Thank you for the question and photo.  Having children after a tummy tuck will undo some of the results of the tummy tuck so this will be something to think about.  However, there are plenty of women who would like to improve the way their abdomen looks before they have children. In these circumstances a tummy tuck is reasonable knowing that you may choose to have a tummy tuck revision in the future.

Dr Remus Repta

Web reference: http://www.aaaplasticsurgery.com/plastic-surgery/tummy-tuck.cfm

Tummy Tuck?

+1

There are really no age restrictions. If you are close to your desired weight, and want the improvement now, a tummy tuck would be the correct procedure. (Liposuction would not address the skin excess, and would likely make the overall appearance worse.)  The one downside is that after pregnancies, you may find yourself looking at another tummy tuck. Only you can make the decision, and there is no right or wrong answer.

A tummy tuck will remove the excess tissue--both skin and fat, and will tighten the abdominal wall. To really get the best result possible, you should be near your ideal weight. We don't have your height and weight or enough of a photo for me to comment, but having lost 70 pounds, you are likely capable of losing more if that is going to improve your outcome. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank your for your question, best wishes.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.