What is a Wound "VAC"?

My PS mentioned that I would be sent home with a wound vac. In the midst of all of my other questions, I failed to ask more about the "vac". Can anyone shed some light on what a wound vac is and what it's used for?

Wound Vac

+3

A wound Vac is a device that creates negative low atmospheric pressure at a constant rate.  It is used on open wounds to remove fluid secretion and enhance granulation tissue and wound healing.  It decreases the length of time for wound healing in open wounds and decreases the need for dressing changes.  Donald R Nunn MD  Plastic Surgeon

VAC

+2

A VAC is a vacuum assisted closure device often used for open wounds that need to heal on their own.  This can often be done as an outpatient.

Wound VAC - negative pressure wound therapy

+1

VAC wound closure involves placing a sponge in the wound, covering this with air tight plastic and inserting a tube with negative pressure through the plastic. This resumes excess fluid from the wound, increases blood supply to tissues in the wound and pulls the edges of the wound together.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD