Worn down Front bottom teeth due to Grinding - Dentist want to do filling with composite?

I have over bite and grinding problem too. Because of this my front bottom four teeth have worn down. The top surface of all the 4 teeth is exposing the dentin (yellow stuff) but the enamel is not completely gone either.Dentist said he wants to make some space on the tops surface (Not too much drilling but making it rough so that boding can take place ) and then wants to fill it with composite. Is it good and will it last? He is saying it will last for years and strengthen the tooth.

Options for teeth with wear into dentin

+1

In todays fast paced and busy world, it is very common to see patients just like you who grind their teeth. There are a few options for correcting worn teeth and protecting them. One option is composite bonding. This is the most conservative and most economical. It will protect the dentin. The limitation of composite bonding is in the aesthetics. The tooth cannot be lengthened or reshaped significantly with this technique due to risk of breaking off the composite. The teeth will be the same length which is usually shorter than ideal in patients who grind. A second option could be porcelain veneers. This would allow the teeth to be protected and can significantly enhance aesthetics to improve contour, length, shade, and alignment issues which are common with patients that grind. Veneers are thus aesthetically superior, but are more expensive and require slightly more tooth structure to be removed. A third option for some patients are crowns. Crowns are recommended to severe grinders who are not candidates for composite or veneers due to the amount of force they place on their teeth from grinding. Crowns are equal to the aesthetics and cost of veneers, but cover the entire tooth.

Regardless of which option is chosen, a nightguard is essential for success. It will protect your teeth and the restorations. It will allow them to predictably last long term and will help to limit future issues.

Portland Cosmetic Dentist

+1

I disagree with that recommendation. It might work in the short term, but in the long term I would expect failure.

If your natural teeth have worn down from grinding, then the composite filling will either wear down as well or break off. My opinion is that you would be better off with porcelain veneers, which won't wear down. One of the stronger porcelain veneer materials is EMax porcelain, which I use a lot of the time and would highly recommend to you over composite bonding on your worn down lower front teeth.

Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist