Can I pull or strain a muscle in my breast by lifting my 4 year old 25 days after my breast augmentation surgery?

It's 25 day post-op breast augmentation under muscle & my rt breast has had pain, on and off for over the last week or so. The pain has recently moved to my back under my right shoulder blade. Today, in a quick reflex I picked up my 4 year old and sat her on my right hip, I quickly put her down when I felt the pain. Now I have more pain in my r breast and back then ever before,(even with taking Advil). Did I pull or strain my muscle in my breast or should I worry about capsular contracture?

Pain after heavy lifting

+1
You certainly can aggravate your pectoralis muscle by lifting your child. The muscle is already irritated due to the breast augmentation. You should rest and medicate the muscle if possible. A reevaluation by your plastic surgeon  is appropriate. 

Muscle pain after lifting child following breast augmentation

+1
Usually by 4 weeks lifting a child will not cause problems after breast augmentation.  However it sounds as though you did strain your pectoralis muscle.  I suggest you see your plastic surgeon for an examination and diagnosis.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Muscle pain after BA

+1
It is certainly possible that you strained a muscle while picking up your child.  This should not lead to capsular contracture unless it caused some bleeding, which would not be expected 25 days following surgery.   You should talk to your surgeon about your concerns.

Samir S. Rao, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Spasm of pectoralis muscle after a breast augmentation not a cc

+1
What you are describing is a spasm of the pectoralis muscle.  This is not unusual and will get better over time.  Certain activities may make the muscle go in to spasm.  This will not cause a capsular contracture. 

Pulled muscle after breast surgery

+1
Good morning, Yes it is possible that you could have strained your muscle with that quick action.  It is always best to inform your PS about any possible complications you may be experiencing.  

Ernest Layton, MD

Pulled or Strained Muscle after Breast Augmentation

+1
Thank you for your inquiry on breast augmentation and post op care.
I am very sorry you are experiencing this pain.  It is hard to know exactly what is going on without a face to face exam.
  • You should contact your plastic surgeon and make him or her aware of your pain and what has happened.
  • It is important to see your plastic surgeon because she/he knows exactly what was done for you.
Try to refrain from picking up any heavy objects until you speak with your surgeon.

Best Wishes.
EM

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD