Radiesse Cheeks

I am 36 and am considering Radiesse to give fullness to my cheeks a lift and help alleviate the hollowness under my eyes. I am scared to do injections under my eyes, so I am wondering if Radiesse in my cheeks will also help my eyes?

Radiesse not under the eyes

+5

I think Radiesse is a great product for areas that need alot of volume, such as the cheeks or even the hands, but I would not use it underneath the eyes. The lower eyelid skin is very thin and will not tolerate thick product like Radiesse. In these cases, I will use Radiesse for the cheek volume and then Restylane for the lower eyelids. This gives a very nice overall balance to the face, and improves one of the classic signs of aging, which is volume loss.

Radiesse injections to the cheeks give slight improvement hollow undereyes

+4

Radiesse is a good product to enhance volume in the cheeks but will only give slight improvement to the hollowness in the under eye region. I think that Radiesse is a great filler in the undereye region. If injected properly (deep) there is little risk of lumps and bumps. Furthermore, whereas Radiesse is beige in color, hyaluronic acid fillers are clear and can worsen the dark circles of the under eye area. Injecting fillers to the cheeks is fairly straightforward. If you are going to have the undereye hollows filled, I would suggest that you see a physician experienced in this treatment.

Jonathan Sonne, MD
Naples Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hollow under eyes: Fat, not Radiesse.

+4

Radiesse, formerly marketed as Radiance is has been known to cause lumps and bumps and it seems to have fallen out of favor for almost all cosmetic indications.

Radiesse is made of Calcium Hydroxylapetite, a naturally occurring mineral that largely makes up bones and teeth in humans and animals. Synthetic Calcium Hydroxyl Appetite is a primary component of Radiesse dermal filler.

When you think about it, a material that makes up bones might not provide a soft, smooth natural looking and feeling result with no lumps or bumps.

I regularly use perform structural fat grafting for hollowed areas under the eyes in the eyelid area, cheeks, jaw line lips and many other areas. Structural fat grafting does require specialized tools and techniques, so search for a plastic surgeon who performs a lot of fat grafting and has a passion for this procedure.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse, Beverly Hills Radiesse, Los Angeles Radiesse, Juvederm

+3

I have used quite a bit of Radiesse in the face to fill in the nasolabial folds, shape and augment the Chin, Cheeks and Jaw line since Radiesse became available for use here in the US.  Radiesse is meant to be injected into areas where a fatty tissue layer exists and this would not include the under eye area where the tissues and skin are extremely thin. 

Radiesse for Cheek Augmentation works great as long as the aesthetics of beautiful cheek size and shape is not volated.  

For the under eye area, I'd consider first shaping the cheeks to the appropriate aesthetic shape and then if you still feel the under eye area needs a filler, use a smaller molecule filler like Restylane or Juvederm.  I have seen other patients who were injected with Radiesse, under the eyes elsewhere, and came to us with visible lumps, bumps or cord-like protrusions that were very unsightly and difficult to treat, so I'd caution against using Radiesse to the lower eye area. 

Radiesse is an excellent filler for the cheeks

+3

With aging, there can be a loss of volume and descent of the cheeks as the youthful heart-shaped face gives way to a more rectangular face shape. Radiesse is an excellent filler for restoring this volume to the cheeks, temples, and jawline, in effect providing a "liquid facelift" when performed by a skilled injector. Because Radiesse is a whitish colored product and because it cannot be dissolved, I would encourage you to stay away from having it injected below the thin skin immediately under the eyes. It should only be injected under thicker skin, for natural looking augmentation of the cheeks for example. 

Restylane, a clear dissolvable gel, works very well in these "tear troughs" under the eyes and can be injected there with tremendous safety and efficacy. 

Regards,

Umang Mehta, MD

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

There are some rare risks with fillers near the eyelids...

+3
There are some rare risks with fillers near the eyelids including lumps. The filler needs to be placed deeply, under the muscle for this reason, but there are risks associated with this placement. Filling the cheeks will not help the lower eyelids. The tear trough which is the crease below the eyelid and above the cheek is often treated sufficiently with this technique.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Radiesse: Cheeks vs. Under eyes

+2
Radiesse is an excellent choice for enhancing the cheeks. This is my favorite product to use in the area. The company states that it can last up to 18 months, but we have seen cases in the literature of presence in the area for up to 3 years post-injection.

On the other hand, Radiesse should never be used in the under eye area. Restylane or Belotero are hyaluronic acid fillers which are better suited for use in this area. The under eye area is a very delicate and unforgiving area to treat. Consult a board certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for best results. 

Jennifer Ahdout, MD, FAAD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

RADIESSE®: Great for cheeks, not so great right under the eyes.

+2

RADIESSE® is a terrific filler, specifically because of its thick consistency. This quality also makes it ideal for adding volume to the cheek area with really beautiful, natural-looking results when you visit a skilled injector. However, the very qualities that make RADIESSE® so great for other areas are the same qualities that make it not the best choice under the eyes. The skin around the eyes is very thin; not only can the RADIESSE® injections be more apparent there, but the opacity of the substance may actually be visible through the thin lower eye area skin. I’d recommend the cheek enhancement alone to see how that affects the under eye area. If you are still unhappy, try a different filler just under the eyes that is a bit more subtle.

Joseph J. Castellano, MD
Tampa General Surgeon

Correction for hollowness under the eyes

+2

If Radiesse is injected into the cheeks, it will not affect the hollowness underneath your eyes.  To get rid of under eye circles or hollowness, I recommend tear trough treatment with a thinner filler like Restylane.  If a thicker filler like Radiesse is injected into a sensitive area like under the eyes or in the lips, you run the risk of getting lumps and bumps.  I recommend trying Radiesse or Perlane injections for the cheeks first and then Restylane for under the eyes because after getting your first injection, you might become more comfortable and less fearful of the procedure.  I hope this helps! 

Paul L. Leong, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse is perfect for the cheeks

+2

Radiesse gives a natural fullness to the cheeks that usually rejuvenates the entire midface. This lift will also help elsewhere with the smiles lines found around your mouth. Unfortunately, the injections will not help for hollowness around the eyes. You may be better served with Restylane or Belotero in this area because they are more forgiving and can be reversed if you are unhappy with the result.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD