Will I Look Thin 5 Days After SmartLipo?

I'm 19, 130 lbs and 5'2" . I'm having Smart Lipo done on my outer/inner thighs, hips, knees, love handles, and back. I plan to start working within a week or so after my surgery, although I'd like to know, will I see a drastic difference after 5 days to a week? Like drop 2 sizes? Or will I still look the same and only see results after a months or so? I really hope I'll see a difference as I'd like to look slimmer for my new job. Please let me know. Thanks!

It takes time

+7

5 days is asking too much. Smartlipo recovery is faster than most liposuction procedures, but even so you need to give yourself more time to look significantly thinner. The reason is that your body will swell for a week or two. Swelling and bruising are less with smartlipo, but you will still have some swelling. You will also be wearing a compression garment for 2 weeks.

I generally tell patients to expect that swelling resolves by about 2 weeks and you will notice improvement at that point. Maximal results, however, are still probably about 3-6 months down the road.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

No drastic difference after 5 days

+6

Smartlipo is a good tool in the hands of the right plastic surgeon who picks the right patient, and given your description of your age, height and weight, you may very well be a very good candidate for the procedure. But it is still a surgical procedure, and with that comes swelling and downtime, in particular if you are having the procedure in multiple areas as you describe.

I would tell you the same thing I tell all patients who are seeking Smartlipo, or even conventional lipo: the final result takes time, and this may be anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months or longer. Don't be dissapointed if you do not see any difference at a week, or if your clothes even feel a bit more snug-- this is normal, and with time and patience the swelling will resolve.

The key is to voice your concerns to your surgeon so that the two of you are on the same page and that you may adjust your schedule as needed to allow for the recovery period.

Dr. S

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Smart Lipo Recovery

+2

It takes time to heal, of course, however, even swollen and bruised you may very well be smaller than you are now in 5 days.  Spot reduction of fat is incredibly powerful!  Seeing a difference in how you look will also help you work out- it gets frustrating when you seem to be doing everything right with no big changes- Lipo is a big change and that inspires you in ways you are yet to see!

Melanie L. Petro, MD
Alabama Facial Plastic Surgeon

Looking skinny after 5 days

+2

The benefits of laser lipolysis, or SmartLipo, is less bruising, less swelling, and less pain.

However, overall,  the swelling will stay a bit longer.

After any surgical procedure the swelling will continue to increase for 3-4 days, after that the swelling will slowly decrease. Trying to look skinny in 5 days is a bit overly optimistic. It may take several weeks to have significant decrease in size.

Wearing garments, massage, initiation of conservative aerobic exercise program can help the swelling to subside faster, however, it'll be very difficult to match your 5 day deadline.

Sincerely,

Boris Volshteyn M.D., M.S.

Boris Volshteyn, MD, MS
East Brunswick Plastic Surgeon

No

+1
Swelling can be worse in the days after your surgery, so at 5 days you may look worse than before your surgery. But it will go away with time. I'm not sure if you'll drop 2 sizes, because it depends on how much fat is removed. 

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Swelling will probably hide results

+1
Patients can generally assess their results in about three to four months, as swelling, bruising and firmness may hide results. Swelling in particular will make you look larger than you actually are, so please follow your surgeon's post-op instructions and wear your compression garment as advised to help with your recovery. You will probably need to wear your garment for a couple of weeks. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Liposuction swelling and recovery - Los Angeles

+1

The swelling has a lot to do with the amount of fat removed. I do not anticipate that you will look completely normal within 5 days of your surgery. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Thinner after smart lipo?

+1

You will swell more and feel larger intially. Swelling, and some lumpiness/ uneveness is normal but the fluctuation should lessen over 6-9 months. You should be noticing less swelling over time not more. You can also have some numbness intially and that too will generally resolve over 6-9 month but could take up to a year. Follow up with your plastic surgeon to make sure you are on course.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

It's still Surgery

+1

Thanks for the question.  This is one of the most frequently asked questions that I've heard from my SmartLipo patients.  Everyone wants to know how quickly they can go shopping and buy new clothes.  It's very important to keep in mind that while this is a less invasive Liposuction technique, this is still surgery.  You can expect to see swelling, the majority of which should be resolved in approximately 2-3 months.  However, the reduction of swelling can also depend on yourself.  Are you wearing your compression garments regularly?  Are you sticking to a reduced sodium diet after your procedure for the first two weeks to reduce fluid retention? 

It's also important to remember that there is no "reduced size guarantee".  Liposuction isn't necessarily about the reduction in size as it is more about shaping and contouring the body by removing unwanted areas of fat. The difference is that SmartLipo is a tool that is more effective in the hands of a skilled Plastic Surgeon.  

Mytien Goldberg, MD

Results 5 days after smart lipo

+1
Depite what others may think or say, in my experience recovery after smart lipo is really not much different than non smart lipo. Much more depends on the skills of the surgeon. I do however feel there is a difference when the procedure has been done properly under tumescent anesthesia where the tissue has been properly prepared and hydrodissected(loosened up with the tumescent fluid)prior to the liposuction. For those surgeons that prefer general anesthesia, and I'm not one of them I guess the laser emulsification first pretty much accomplishes what the tumescent fluid does in terms of prepping the fat layer. With regards to results being dramatic after 5 days, you really must be more patient. Final results are 6 to 12 months. Most of your results will be at the three month mark. At 3- 4 weeks you should already start to see a lot of improvement. But each patient is different and you probably do not have a very thick layer of fat at 130 lbs with it being done in several areas. Thinner patients actually take longer to see a dramatic improvement. The ones who have thicker layers of fat and are quite out of proportion see more a dramatic result earlier. Be patient!

David Amron, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon