Why Are my Cheeks and Lips Swollen After Restylane?

I had my lips done yesterday, and the doctor did only one side of my face for faint nasolabial line. She also filled in a bit for an old scar between my nose and lip area. Now, my cheeks and lips are swollen. What happened?

Swelling may be normal after Restylane

+3

Before any filler treatment you should be informed by your surgeon about possible swelling and bruising around the injection sites. To minimize the chance of swelling it is recommended to ice the area up to two hours after the injection. Restylene is made out of the hyaluronic acid, which attracts water. Therefore, the feeling of puffiness and swelling is quite normal. It should resolve within a week or so. Some patients also feel some lumps under the skin and also experience bruising. In that case it is recommended to gently massage the site.

Swelling after restylane

+2

Thanks for your question -

Certainly swelling in the area of injection for the first few days is not unusual. It sounds like you're describing swelling in other areas. It is very unusual to have allergic reactions from hyaluronic acid fillers but not impossible.

It is also possible that you may be having a reaction from local anesthesia or other medications administered during the treatment.

The key in situations like this is close conversation with your treating physician to differentiate normal swelling from potentially serious other sequelae like allergic reactions.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Swelling after Restylane

+1

Swelling is normal and associated with the injection technique, rather than the product. You can expect swelling to last for one to two weeks, depending on the area treated and how your body reacts to the treatment. Keep your head elevated to help ease swelling, particularly when sleeping. You can use a few pillows to prop your head up.If it doesn't improve after a week or so, please see your injector for an assessment.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Swelling is normal

+1
Swelling is completely normal after facial injections, especially in the lip area. It should resolve in a few days. Best of luck. 

David Rapaport, MD

Cheeks and Lips Swollen After Restylane

+1

Swelling is normal after injecting the lips. Some patients also experience swelling of the nasolabial fold. You can apply ice to the area for 15 minutes every hour. That should help bring the swelling down

Tim A. Sayed, MD, FACS
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

+1

Swelling after fillers particularly hyaluronic acid fillers (HA's) is normal and should be discussed prior to injections as it can be quite worrisome for patients.  You are not alone in your surprise/concerns.  Maximal swelling typically occurs 12-24 hours following injections and subsides significantly within 72hrs.

HA's as other physicians have mentioned to you are additionally hydrophilic... meaning they naturally attract and retain water and will swell more than some other fillers.

Bruising due to occasional trauma to blood vessels will typically last up to a week.

Intermittent Ice, Compression, Advil after 24 hrs, Arnica/and or pineapple, and concealler can be helpful.

Warm Regards,

Dr Quinton Chivers

Quinton Chivers, MD, FRCS(C)

Cheeks and Lips Swollen After Restylane

+1

It is common to have swelling after a treatment for a couple of days although it can be managed with ice to the area. Inform the injector of the swelling, and request post treatment instruction. If the swelling persists for a week, you should request to see the injector. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Swelling is normal after treatment

+1

Varying from patient to patient, visible swelling and bruising is normal at the injection site and will subside within 5-7 days. You may take Tylenol for any discomfort, but please avoid aspirin or Motrin, as they can increase bruising.

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Restylane Injections?

+1

Hi Cynthia.  Swelling after Restylane injections at and immediately aroudn the injection site is very normal, especially the day after the injections.

If your selling does not go down over the next couple days or it is in areas completely separate from the injection sites, you may be advised to contact your iinjector now to be seen for a follow up.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Swelling after Restylane injection

+1

Restylane is a powerful and effective dermal filler. Patients enjoy it because the results are immediate and last for approximately 6 months. After injection, patients can expect to see a small amount of redness and swelling for 1 to 2 days. If you're swelling has persisted beyond that time, it is best to return to your dermatologist to determine if you add a reaction or a low-grade infection. Although these complications are extremely rare, it is important to let your health care provider know about your concerns so that they can assess what is best for you.

Pat Pazmino, MD