When Can I Stop Worrying About my Tummy Tuck Scar Stretching and Widening?

I am 3 weeks post op from a full scar revision. I had skin undermined up to my belly button and had my scar lowered by two inches. I am swollen and very tight. I am so worried about standing up straight too soon and putting tension on the scar. I had the revision to lower the scar but also because after 5 years it was still red and wide so this is why I am fretting about the same thing happening to me again. Is there a timeframe when the scar can no longer widen or is it different for everyone?

Tummy Tuck Scar Revision

+1

The results of your revision may be influenced by the amount of tension on the scar and your genetics. Keep a close eye on your scars to prevent recurrence. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Scar final result after revision tummy tuck

+1

Unfortunately you may have to wait a good year to see the final result of your scar after revision.  Yes, it can take that long.

Concerns about Scars after Revisionary Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question. Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise you precisely, but generally speaking it's best to “take it easy” for 6 to 8 weeks after the type of surgery you have had performed. Of course, the appearance of the scar will generally improve over the course of the first year and even subsequently.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_tummyTuck.htm

When can I not worry about my tummy tuck scar stretching.

+1

Thanks for your question.  It normally takes up to six weeks for the scar from a surgery to begin to gain a significant amount of strength.  Until that time I would be careful and not overdue a lot of things.  The scar won't be fully healed for a number of months but it will have a fair amount of strength by the six week mark.

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Postop Healing after Tummy Tuck

+1

The healing process is a year long event.  Don't worry.  After three weeks you should be standing straight.  Start using a scar cream, Vit E and Cocoa Butter massaged into the scars consistently twice a day.  If redness persists i will often use a pulse dye laser to aid in maturation.  Scar tapes can help too.  Good Luck

Reading Plastic Surgeon

+1

The time course of wound healing is different for everyone. Most of what is best for wound healing was in the hands of your surgeon, and most important for you now is to follow the surgeons instructions regarding limitations and the time to return to activities. Suggestions may be made for scar products. 

None of us have seen the procedure, nor even a photo of the current status. Your surgeon is in a far better position to give advice.

Thanks, all the best.  

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.