When Does Jaw/masseter Botox Wear Off?

I got botox in my masseter muscle in the beginning of Aug. 2012, at age 23, almost 9 months ago. Since then, I've hated how my facial structure has changed. My face is much narrower, as if I lost all of my baby fat in my cheeks (I like the rounder and fuller look because I think it's more youthful). I wear retainers at night because I had braces when I was 19. When can I expect my face to return to normal? I wish I could look as young as I did a year ago :(

Jaw Botox

+2

This greatly depends on the amount of units that are used and the mixture of the toxin. Most toxins like Botox usually last from between 3-4 months.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox to the jaw muscle

+2

I'm slightly confused as to why you did Botox injections to the jaw muscle if you prefer a rounder face; Botox to the jawline helps narrow the face. Nevertheless, Botox in the jawline usually lasts between 6-12 months, depending on how strong the muscle was that was being injected. Remember too that because of the Botox you haven't been able to move that muscle the same way, so it has atrophied a bit, and it won't just bounce back to what it was before. You will need to spend a bit of time after the Botox wears off, reusing that muscle and restrengthening it. Then it should return to what it was before.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Sorry to hear you're unhappy with your treatment...

+1

but the good news is that the effects will wear off soon...overall the effects of Botox when used for masseter muscle reduction last about one year depending on how many units were used and how big the muscle was...and when the effects wear off, the muscle only slowly grows to its former size...but never fear that will ultimately happen...while many people want the more angular face, nothing wrong with fuller features...really a matter of personal taste...nothing cast in stone what's best...

Ken Landow, MD

Botox for masseters

+1

The effect of Botox for the masseter muscles can take one year or longer to wear off.  Chewing will help strengthen your masseter muscles so you could try chewing gum unless your dentist has warned against it. 

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox and masseter reduction

+1

If you liked a the fuller look of your face, it's not clear why you would have had this treatment. Depending on how many units were injected, the muscles have had time to atrophy and will need time to build up strength again.

Sam Naficy, MD