When Can I Get a Breast Lift After Having Breast Implants?

I had saline implants 5 yrs a go... I decided to "do everything" again (tummy tuck breast augmentation and lipo) after having another baby 5 months a go. I am now 3 wks post op i did not have the lift done 3 wks a go because i want it the silicone implants 590 ccs my surgeon said they wr to big to have a lift done at the same time... When can i have it done? I dont want my surgeon to do the lift cause he wont do the benelli lift ... He Likes only the lolipop lift and i dont...

Breast Lift after Implants

+2

What you are describing is a staged augment-mastopexy where one operation (in this case the breast augmentation) is done separately from the second operation (the breast list or mastopexy) Some surgeons prefer to perform their breast surgeries in this way because they feel it gives them more control over the final result and perhaps reduces the number of revisions. Personally I rarely would recommend a staged augment-mastopexy because of the additional cost and recovery for performing two operations instead of just one. The typical timing of a two-stage breast procedure would be to wait until the first operation had completely healed before performing the second. If a breast augmentation is done first typically it takes 2-3 months for the breast implants to settle. So at that time you would contemplate performing the lift.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

When can I get a breast lift after having breast implants?

+1
Thank you for the question.  Awaiting approximately 3-6 months for further breast surgery would be a reasonable time. 

These two procedures can safely and effectively be performed in one setting, given you are healthy and without medical comorbidities to prevent such. Staging the procedures to have them done at various times will likely not have any cost benefit for you. When you combine procedures, there is often a discount that is provided by the surgeon for multiple procedures. Also, when having multiple procedures performed at the same time, you save on anesthesia and facility fees, which otherwise are paid for with each individual procedure. In addition, you may benefit by the single recovery time. However, more importantly than the financial aspect, your plastic surgeon will have to determine for you if the viability of the breast as well as nipple-areolar complex may be placed at jeopardy if done at the same time. If for this reason, it would be wise to stage these procedures.

Certainly it is you decision as to whether you have your procedures performed in one or multiple stages, but your surgeon will give his/her recommendations. Consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in breast surgery who will discuss and examine you, while assisting you to decide which procedure will be the best option for you. Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Large Implants and a Lift Needed

+1

Generally, waiting 3 months between the two surgeries alleviates concerns for compromise of the nipple areola complex.  However, waiting 6 months may be better to determine final implant position.

Breast lifting after augmentation... How long between stages?

+1

First of all, kudos to your plastic surgeon for staging the augmentation from the lift. Performing these combination procedures with very large implants (of which 590cc is a large implant) can cause significant compromise to the nipple and skin. I recommend waiting 3-6 months before performing the lift to allow for swelling to resolve so that a predictable end result can be achieved. As for the type of lift, periareolar lifts such as a Benelli lift work well for certain degrees of ptosis, but often lead to a flattening of the breast. Circumvertical mastopexies (lollypop lift) creates a coning of the breast and is a much more powerful lift for moderate to severe ptosis. Compromising breast shape for scars usually leads to revision surgery.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Timing After Implant To Do A Breast Lift

+1

Staging the replacement of breast implants and a lift is perfectly appropriate and safe for the blood supply to the nipple. You want to wait long enough after the breast implant procedure to be certain you are looking at a stable breast mound and it is clear what type of breast lift that is really needed. Given your history of prior breast implants with an existing pocket the wait to the breast lift would be no more than a minimum of three months.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Breast lift following a breast augmentation

+1

It is not unusual to perform a revision breast augmentation and a breast lift in two stages.  The type of breast lift that will give you the best result can only be assessed at the time of a consultation and a review of your anatomy.  The attractive part of the Benelli or circumareolar lift is that there is only a scar around the nipple.   The key to obtaining a good result from any breast procedure is matching the right procedure to the right patient.  In many patients the Benelli lift is adequate, the problems occur if you try to get the operation to do something that it is not designed to accomplish.  You will only get a moderate lift or elevation of the nipple with this lift and despite using a permanent type suture as a purse string around the outer perimeter of the areola the force of the implant to stretch out the areola over time.  Your plastic surgeon is in the best position to know what type of lift will give you the best result.  If you are unsure or have concerns then by all means seek a second opinion.  

Breast lift after Breast implants

+1

Hi! Thank you for your question!

I am Dr. Speron, a proud member of both the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS).  I am also certified with the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

I would suggest waiting 4-5 months after breast augmentation. This will allow the implants to settle. A two stage approach will provide a more predictable and controlled environment for healing. In one operation you are filling and expanding the breast whereas in the second operation you are tightening and lifting the breast. These two opposing forces can affect healing negatively and for this reason we prefer to do the surgeries separately.

In order to know what kind of lift is best for you, it is best to understand the difference between these lifts. The Benelli lift is best used for slight nipple asymmetry or a mild lift. A doughnut-shaped incision is made around the areola to remove tissue and the skin is then tightened. The Lollipop lift is a lollipop shaped incision made from the crease of the breast vertically and surrounds the nipple. This is a very effective lift for many women with low hanging breasts.

You should have your surgeon discuss with you the reasons why he recommends the Lollipop lift rather than the Benelli lift. I have provided a link below for additional information as well as a lot of before and after pictures.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call us at 847.696.9900 for a private consultation.

Best of luck and have a great day!
Regards,
Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

You need to wait at least 3-6 months

+1

Your surgeon is correct to stage the lift and augmentation. The decision for choosing the lift pattern depends on the degree of the sagging,quality of the breast tissue and surgeons experience. Ask your surgeon for explanation regarding the reason for offering the lolipop lift.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Lift after breast augmentation

+1

You should wait 4 months minimum. Also please understand the limits of a Benelli lift. If you need more than that, a Benelli will disappoint you and leave you with a flat breast with a baggy loose lower pole.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS